Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM

302 posts, read 961,877 times

Advertisements

I put an offer on a house today, but was out bid by someone at or very near asking price with an all cash offer and did not require an inspection. This was not a short sale or forecloseure and was pretty much turn key. Does this strike anyone as odd?? Also it has been on the market for a while. Why would anyone not want an inspection??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
When my sister sold her house last year the buyers did not request an inspection. I have no idea why. We orginially thought they might want to tear down the house but it's over a year and the house is still there.

I also know some people who've bought houses who are in the building trade and they usually don't request one either since they are pretty sure they can see any problems. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but like I said I know several carpenters/builders/etc that bought without inspections.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM

270 posts, read 969,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When my sister sold her house last year the buyers did not request an inspection. I have no idea why. We orginially thought they might want to tear down the house but it's over a year and the house is still there.

I also know some people who've bought houses who are in the building trade and they usually don't request one either since they are pretty sure they can see any problems. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but like I said I know several carpenters/builders/etc that bought without inspections.
These are the only two reasons I can think of why someone would go through without an inspection. Otherwise you've got everything to lose.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
I put an offer on a house today, but was out bid by someone at or very near asking price with an all cash offer and did not require an inspection. This was not a short sale or forecloseure and was pretty much turn key. Does this strike anyone as odd?? Also it has been on the market for a while. Why would anyone not want an inspection??
I assume you don't know if this is a FACT and do not know who supposedly made this wonderful offer.

When you were told this, did the person who told you this (a realtor I assume) encourage you to bid higher or did they just say that the other offer has been accepted and you might as well look elsewhere?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM

Well I was at the open house and overheard this couple tell the agent they wanted to go to her office to put in an offer. I called my realtor this morning to put an offer in and was told they got a first accepted yesterday but i could bid, and after I bid we got a call back saying that they were going with the first offer because it was all cash and did not want an inspection. Was also told yesterday by the sellers agent that there have been a few offers but all about 30k under asking.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Well I was at the open house and overheard this couple tell the agent they wanted to go to her office to put in an offer. I called my realtor this morning to put an offer in and was told they got a first accepted yesterday but i could bid, and after I bid we got a call back saying that they were going with the first offer because it was all cash and did not want an inspection. Was also told yesterday by the sellers agent that there have been a few offers but all about 30k under asking.
Sometimes they play with people to whet their appetites and make people feel competitive over bidding on a house.

If in a few days, suddenly the "all cash no inspection" offer is off the table, beware as this may mean they have been trying to play you like a violin (e.g., trying to get you to bid higher than you originally felt the house was worth).

Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
An offer of all cash with no inspection will always be accepted over an offer that has a contingency for an inspection and a mortgage.

Sometimes people will make an offer without an inspection because they are knowledgable enough about houses that they have already checked out what is important to them and they know that it will make their offer stronger.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:26 PM

Well.. if the "alll cash offer" happens to fall through i'll go right back with my original offer. I wouldnt be surprised.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Well.. if the "alll cash offer" happens to fall through i'll go right back with my original offer. I wouldnt be surprised.
How could an all cash, no inspection necessary offer possibly fall through?

LOL!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:14 PM

I mean if for some reason they back out or find something else...Just thinking positive here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island