Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:43 AM

15 posts, read 64,857 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see the real estate section of the Newsday yesterday, where it listed the best places to live on Long Island?
They listed the best school districts, based on test scores alone...which isn't the only thing that makes a good school district, but it is important. There list:Nassau County-
Jericho (which also ranked # 1 in the country!)
Great Neck
Manhasset
Roslyn
East Williston (Wheatley)
Syosset
Garden City
Merrick
Bellmore
North Shore (Glen Head, Sea Cliff, parts of Old Brookville and Brookville)

Suffolk County:
Cold Spring Harbor
Half Hollow Hills
Port Jefferson
Mattituck
Harborfields
Northport
Elwood
Smithtown
Three Village

Last edited by Lexismommy; 04-21-2007 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 03:21 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I thought Miller Place would be on the list. It seems like there's such a rave about it lately as being the top school in Suffolk.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:26 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I thought Miller Place would be on the list. It seems like there's such a rave about it lately as being the top school in Suffolk.
Miller place is by Rocky Point no? Rocky Point isnt the greatest area.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:30 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
yeah, but the school district is supposedly one of the best.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:22 AM

240 posts, read 1,057,113 times
Actually, the recently published school district rantings bases the rank of a school solely on its number of students taking Advanced Placement courses. Many times the students are placed in the courses simply for the school to look good in these rantings;thus many times students are placed in classes they cannot handle. I know this through talking to the administration and teachers in Rocky Point who have said this system proves nothing and in actuality the Rocky Point
School District far exceeds Miller Place as a school system. The entire idea that Miller Place Schools are so wonderful is a mirage created by real estate agents and these false ratings. I don't know what led you to believe
Rocky Point was such a bad area, sure it's not Old Field but it's not Mastic/Shirley either.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:09 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
I struggled to move into Port Jefferson district as a young, single mother so my child could be in the "best". Only to find out they let him get to 4th grade with a serious learning disability. Finally after I contacted the state board of ed & several SEPTA advocates would they finally complete they testing I'd been asking for.
You couldn't pay ME to put my children back into some of "the best" schools.
Not everyone is graced with Mensa type children. If you are that's great, if your child needs special services, you're probably doomed.
That's a fact.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:49 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
Dear Kelly, what you said is so true. My daughter is in special education too, I have been through one of the best districts "Smithtown" where they told me my child should be in a boces center because it required her teacher to have a third reading group. Meanwhile, there were only 15 students in the class with a teacher and two assistants. I was also told that because she required speech she needed a boces placement also because she belonged only with children like her. Anther great district, Commack is currently under litigation because they are refusing to educate a child with a disability.Another woman told me that she sold her house is West Islip and moved to Lindenhurst because they tried to railroad her son into a boces setting also. I am in pat/Med and sure it is not perfect but my daughter will graduate next year from my district high school, the teachers have been wonderful from Elementary through now with her.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
While my boys go to Catholic, we have been thru the special ed dept in Longwood. The have been wonderful, approving resource, and OT for him. There was never a question on him not getting services because he goes to Catholic. It has made a wonderful difference in his education.
I have been thru Pat/Med when they were younger and it was horrendous. I felt like a beggar trying to get services for him. What I couldnt believe was that they were making desicisions while never meeting the child. They also did not take the recommendations of the person who evualated him.

Maybe if they did, he wouldnt be so far behind.

South Country is also a horrendous district for getting services.

dorothy

Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
I know Longwood is really good. However if there is a cut and dry diagnosis Pat/Med is good, Like my daughter has down syndrome they are more than accomodating. However, with my soon who has some speech issues but no educational issues, they can be a little daunting.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:59 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Yes I have heard th at with a definate rx, Pat Med is great. A friend has an autistic son and in Pat/Med she has never had a problem.
Its the kids who dont have a rx but need a little push or a little more than regular kids that have the problem getting services that they are really entitled to.

dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island