Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,158 times

Advertisements

After giving an over 2 month notice to my landlord that we were leaving to finally own our OWN home, he started acting cold to us. He will not say "hello" to my husband or I, only to my 20 month old daughter. Immature, yes. That we could deal with. HOWEVER, now he demands all these little RULES we have to abide by. Honestly, he has OCD (not diagnosed), but it is obvious. We are not allowed to walk on his lawn, although we have to do a big "S" to get to our entrance in the back of the house. So, even though our hands and arms are filled with groceries and our 20 month old, we are not allowed to "shortcut" across his lawn to get to our entrance. Now, he is nit-picking on all the little things we do. He has threatened my husband by yelling, "Keep it up, just keep it up!!!", when my husband broke a rule (just once) by walking on the grass with a handful of items. When my husband parks his van in front of the house, he screams at us b/c he feels it is an "eye sore" and doesnt want it there during the day. When we explained to him that the reason it is there is b/c the storage unit we normally keep it in is full of our boxes, for the move, he has nothing to say, but that he doesnt want it there. We are also trying to help him out, so the boxes are not all over the house when he shows possible new tenants (Lord help them) the apartment.

Everyday he has a new rule for us, and, honestly, we are living on constant eggshells. This is not a healthy environment for my daughter and I want it to stop. He has no problems yelling at us in front of my daughter either!! Is there ANYTHING we can do to stop the harrassment?

Thanks for all of your input with this situation!!

P.S.This is ALSO an illegal apartment!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:30 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
No advice. My bff went thru the same thing many years ago when she gave her notice. I suppose unless he is completely off his rocker/dangerous you could tell him "keep it up, keep it up, and I'll call the town code enforcement officer". Probably not worth it though.

He doesn't own the street, you can park wherever you want.

Be glad you are buying a home and you will be the king of your castle soon enough - congrats and good luck!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 AM

316 posts, read 989,308 times
Hmmm...you knowingly rented an illegal apartment, and now the landlord is being a d*ck because you are moving out. I'd report it AFTER you've moved, and just deal with his douchebaggery in the meantime. I don't think you have any rights when you knowingly rent an illegal apartment.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Thank you!! I agree he doesnt own the street..however, he "owns the house in front of the street", as he says!!

We are very happy and lucky to be moving, but for the next 3 weeks I will get a pit in my stomach everytime I come home from work with my daughter and he is outside doing another OCD thing to his lawn!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM

We actually took the apartment b/c the wife is good friends with my best friend since childhood!! So, knowing that it was illegal, was not a big deal then...but we have DEFINITELY learned from our mistake!!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
I say ignore him. He'll be out of your life forever soon enough.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Do what is reasonable as far as the rules are concerned (knowing that you are going to be out pretty soon).... if he does yell just ignore him.... if he does that in front of your kid then pretend as if you are telling the landlord to stop yelling so that the kid understands that its not a good thing and you are sending a clear message that such behavior will not be tolerated (its amazing how fast kids learn stuff from others).

Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks Zulu400! It is hard to ignore someone when they are constantly yelling at you and screaming your name across the yard, but that is good advice. I will try that..and I will treat him like a 5 year old when I tell him that "it is not nice to yell" in front of my 20 month old!..haha

Old 07-29-2009, 02:03 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
I say your mistake was giving him time to stew. Me and my wife did that once, tried to be upfront and honest with a landlord. Never works, ends up biting you in the you know what. Give as little notice as possible, thats what I've learned especially with illegal rentals.

In the meantime tell him to screw off. You paid your rent and you don't have a lease with the rules written out and if he wants he can call the cops. And if I were your husband I'd explain to the landlord that it's disrespectful to speak like that in front of his daughter. Well I wouldn't say that exactly but you get the point.

PS congrats on the house, always nice to know someone has new neighbors and soon you husband will replace cursing out the landlord for cursing out the boiler/lawnmower/weedwacker/whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island