Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 PM

12 posts, read 39,947 times

Advertisements

Areas we are considering for proximity to the city are: Manhasset (downside no land for backyard really), Sands Point (should I be worried about the problems in the public school system and what I've read is happening in town?), Old Brookeville (lots of land but no center of town)--where to live where there are best pub schools and good safe communities. We are of Indian origin but grew up in the u.s.--so we're more "american" in style but like diversity and cultural openness. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 AM

654 posts, read 2,121,328 times
I am a big fan of Garden City. Great shcool district, people are terrific, always has something going on for the kids, there is a center of town (7 Street).

Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,346,503 times
You may have to stretch your budget to live in Old Brookville.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
Have you looked into Muttontown, Syosset or Laurel Hollow?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM

372 posts, read 740,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I am a big fan of Garden City. Great shcool district, people are terrific, always has something going on for the kids, there is a center of town (7 Street).

she said that they wanted "diversity and cultural openness". I honestly don't think that they would find that in Garden City.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 AM

964 posts, read 2,463,517 times
Yes, because Garden City clearly has it out for Indian American families.

I'm so tired of this limited definition of "diversity". Just because GC is 90-some percent caucasian, doesn't mean it isn't diverse. Diversity is more than skin color. We have people of all different ethnicities, nationalities, religions, political affiliations, etc. in GC. Diversity exists in a big way if you don't have a close minded definition of diversity as being skin color.

I have to laugh at people that say this town or that town in the US isn't "diverse". It shows me that they've never traveled much around the world. Go to parts of Europe, China, India, etc. and you will see TOTAL homogeneous groups in every way. Are they lesser people because of it? Of course not. Just because Seoul is 99% pure Korean doesn't mean it's a horrible place.

Towns in the US are incredibly diverse with respect to what you see around the world. So, stop limiting the definition of diversity, and start looking around the world to see how really diverse LI can be.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 AM

654 posts, read 2,121,328 times
I find the people of Garden City to be extremely nice and welcome to all.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 AM

Dawn,

They are. People in GC are very nice. However, if you read these boards, you would think the KKK operates from the GC Country Club and regularly lynches blacks, hispanics, asians, and jews.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
While as a resident of GC I agree that it is not the white supremacist factory that people make it out to be, it's not - in all likelihood - going to be what the OP is looking for. In fact GC is 98% caucasion and 95% Christian. I think OP would probably enjoy Laurel Hollow - it's part of either the Syosset or Cold Spring Harbor school distict and Syosset at least is much more diverse than GC. The OP stated she likes "diversity" - she is simply not going to find that in GC.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 AM

Twingles,

If it is important to the OP to have a lot of other Indian American families around, then I agree with you. Look in Herricks, Roslyn, Laurel Hollow, Syosset, etc.

However, there is a lot of rich diversity in GC aside from skin color. I know of very Italian, Irish, Greek, German, Polish, etc. families. For example, I'm full Italian and speak the language fluently. I'm close to the culture and traditions and visit Italy often. My wife is straight from England and has Scottish and Welsh origins.

As a family, we have a lot of different perspectives, thoughts, angles, etc. to offer. Even though our skin color is the same as most of GC, we are diverse and add "color" to the community. There are others like us. So, I would argue strongly that GC is diverse if you broaden the definition beyond skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island