Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 AM

6 posts, read 27,832 times

Advertisements

I've lived there for over 30yrs.. Is it just me or is this town steadily going down hill?

There's so much trash on Larkfield Road, and in the town itself, it seems like no on really cares anymore. Businesses seem very lax on caring for their property. There's also a bar on Larkfield that sells drugs to young people, has served to minors and is involved in prostitution. It's like a cancer in the town that not many know about yet.

I really hope things turn around, if not, I'll be relocating the family..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 11:03 AM

270 posts, read 969,846 times
Perhaps you missed the earlier thread about Long Island in general going down hill - seems to be a common perception of the area as a whole.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:01 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
I am sure that East Northport, like all of Long Island, has changed much over thirty years. Rather then hoping that things turn around, get involved and become a positive force in your community.

What bar are you talking about? I haven't heard anything about that.

As for trash, that's all over the place. Have you seen any of the parkway entrance ramps across the island? Disgusting.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I am sure that East Northport, like all of Long Island, has changed much over thirty years. Rather then hoping that things turn around, get involved and become a positive force in your community.

What bar are you talking about? I haven't heard anything about that.

As for trash, that's all over the place. Have you seen any of the parkway entrance ramps across the island? Disgusting.
I've tried my best to get involved Tom, a couple of weeks ago the chamber of commerce organized a clean up Larkfield road day, not many people showed up (maybe 15). It's a huge job that really needed more support from the community. Maybe it will be better organized if they do it again in the future. Ive noticed the enormous increase in trash ever since Wendy's opened up in town.

The bar I'm speaking of
changes names frequently. Years ago the building was raided and shut down, but now it's back to polluting the community again, from what I understand it's only getting worse with drug sales and other illegal activities.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-25-2009 at 04:01 PM..

Old 09-05-2009, 04:08 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,816 times
People don't organize as a community very well anymore. Seems to be a lost art almost. I live in mastic beach and they have been trying to turn it into an Incorporated village. I have not seen such a large swell in community involvement around me in my whole life. Even if it accomplishes nothing else It brought the community together to fight for a common goal. It is more closely knit than before. Be involved and you can change your neighborhood.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:19 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,785 times
Default This is dopey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaRapids View Post
I've tried my best to get involved Tom, a couple of weeks ago the chamber of commerce organized a clean up Larkfield road day, not many people showed up (maybe 15). It's a huge job that really needed more support from the community. Maybe it will be better organized if they do it again in the future. Ive noticed the enormous increase in trash ever since Wendy's opened up in town.

The bar I'm speaking of is now called the West Palm Saloon, they change names frequently. Years ago the building was raided and shut down, but now it's back to polluting the community again, from what I understand it's only getting worse with drug sales and other illegal activities.
Come on. This doesn't make sense. The bar was raided "years ago," but because it is supposedly "back in action" now, East Northport is "going down hill." Is it any less down the hill now than it was back when the naughty bar was operating before? I don't get the logic.

Oh, but people don't care because they didn't do what you did - go pick up trash.

You know, the beauty of Long Island is that you can't really move further away from the city to build a white affluent gated community - there'd be no jobs that far out. Plus the island is almost all built up. The result is that you have to live with the incommensurabilities of suburban society. When things don't work, you have to fix them. You can't run away. But in suburban society, people stop getting to know their neighbors. They take for granted that their taxes will pay people enough to keep their town pretty. However, people aren't willing to pay what it costs to keep everything pretty. The town ages. There is community break-down

So, you write like you've thrown your hands up. Well, I add you to the quiters and I hope you land in North Carolina.

For those staying, remember that you can call cops when you see bad things happen. Know that they are often overwhelmed with problems and are forced to prioritize. Know that your crime rate is very, very low. Know that your schools are very well ranked, that the median income is high, and that relative to the rest of the country your home values have withstood the hit that most major cities have suffered.

I like East Northport. Is it heaven on earth? No. This last year, there was a mattress on the sidewalk near the trainline right off Larkfield. I saw it there every day I took my son to school. I never called. My fault. I'm sorry, but it is on me. If you don't like the neighborhood car, call the cops on it. It doesn't solve itself. If you see junk, pick it up. Go to your city council. Call your state rep. **** don't pick itself up.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default West Palm Saloon

Located at 61 Larkfield Road in the Hamlet of East Northport in the Town of Huntington, the West Palm Saloon has its own web site!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Come on. This doesn't make sense. The bar was raided "years ago," but because it is supposedly "back in action" now, East Northport is "going down hill." Is it any less down the hill now than it was back when the naughty bar was operating before? I don't get the logic.

Oh, but people don't care because they didn't do what you did - go pick up trash.

You know, the beauty of Long Island is that you can't really move further away from the city to build a white affluent gated community - there'd be no jobs that far out. Plus the island is almost all built up. The result is that you have to live with the incommensurabilities of suburban society. When things don't work, you have to fix them. You can't run away. But in suburban society, people stop getting to know their neighbors. They take for granted that their taxes will pay people enough to keep their town pretty. However, people aren't willing to pay what it costs to keep everything pretty. The town ages. There is community break-down

So, you write like you've thrown your hands up. Well, I add you to the quiters and I hope you land in North Carolina.

For those staying, remember that you can call cops when you see bad things happen. Know that they are often overwhelmed with problems and are forced to prioritize. Know that your crime rate is very, very low. Know that your schools are very well ranked, that the median income is high, and that relative to the rest of the country your home values have withstood the hit that most major cities have suffered.

I like East Northport. Is it heaven on earth? No. This last year, there was a mattress on the sidewalk near the trainline right off Larkfield. I saw it there every day I took my son to school. I never called. My fault. I'm sorry, but it is on me. If you don't like the neighborhood car, call the cops on it. It doesn't solve itself. If you see junk, pick it up. Go to your city council. Call your state rep. **** don't pick itself up.
I assume you also live in ENPT? The fact that you are supposedly raising your son here and don't seem to care about the state of the town and what is going on in it is quite alarming.. I'd be very concerned if my children were still young.

I've been doing my part, far more than helping with trash. Helping to clean up was a random example.

As far as said bar, yes the situation has deteriorated beyond where it was 6-7yrs ago when it was initially raided and closed.

Maybe you're comfortable with drug sales to teens, prostitution and serving alcohol to minors in East Northport? I'm not. If you don't think those are contributing factors in a towns decline, then I'm not sure what to say.

Thanks for the reply though

Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

VirginiaRapids, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

East Northport is a hamlet in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County.

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village", such as "Huntington Village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Thanks Walter, very informative.

I've always called East Northport a "town" That'll be a nasty habit to break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island