Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 AM

527 posts, read 1,020,058 times

Advertisements

I would love some more input on this town- I am thinking of buying here- I seem to get mixed reviews when i ask people about this town, Some say it is shanty/trashy and keep far away and some tell me its ok- i know i need to take a ride out there and see for myself- I am just trying to narrow it down before i go actual looking- i am in whitestone- I really like hearing about the Venetian shore and lindenhurst being so close to beaches- looking forward to all suggestions/opinions - thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:06 AM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
I would love some more input on this town- I am thinking of buying here- I seem to get mixed reviews when i ask people about this town, Some say it is shanty/trashy and keep far away and some tell me its ok- i know i need to take a ride out there and see for myself- I am just trying to narrow it down before i go actual looking- i am in whitestone- I really like hearing about the Venetian shore and lindenhurst being so close to beaches- looking forward to all suggestions/opinions - thanks
Not just Lindenhurst & West Babylon but basically most of the Town of Babylon was built up pretty early in the suburban wave of the 1950s/1960s. The result is that much of the housing in the town is on the smaller side, small ranches, cape cods etc. Hi-ranches are actually the biggest houses on many blocks. Properties are often smaller also, at least by Suffolk County standards.

The result is a larger blue collar and working middle class population than many other parts of Long Island. Some people look down on that and consider blue collar people to be "white trash" but I personally find this makes the area a little more laid back. Less keeping up with the Joneses type thing. No one cares if your lawn is perfect down here.

The bad thing is that lower middle class people are often just trying to survive and makes ends meet. The result is they are often apolitical and so the Town of Babylon has long been letting developers get away with things that they would not get away with in Smithtown or Huntington.

But still, there are several things that are helping the area in the long run. One advantage is the Southwest sewer district since most other parts of Suffolk still use cesspools. This was a factor for me when I decided to move to Babylon Village after looking at Commack and Hauppauge.

Another thing is that while I mentioned properties generally are smaller than much of Suffolk, they are still larger than parts of Nassau and especially Queens. The result is that people can and are expanding their houses. I see this quite often near my parent's house in Lindenhurst and also parts of West Babylon, Deer Park, North Babylon and West Islip (town of Islip).

So there is both good and bad to the area. One major plus is there is a very good LIRR access in Lindenhurst, Babylon village, Amityville and Copiague.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 PM

125 posts, read 252,649 times
While most people are so nice here in Lindenhurst and everyone gets a long great despite your ethnic background, there are a lot of houses that should be kept up and are not. I do care about how the lawn looks so thats why Im moving out of here in about 6 months but if you are someone who doesnt care about the look of a neighborhood than it will be a good place to live.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Jc4

8 posts, read 26,076 times
Default lawns

Rammie

Just curious

where do you plan to move -I think lindenhurst has no problems with lawns IMO

Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM

527 posts, read 1,020,058 times
is the area really unkept?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 PM

176 posts, read 474,758 times
I lived in lindenhurst from about 11 years old until 18 (went to OLPH and SJB schools)and still have family there and visit often enough. I am in my mid-30s now so I can't speak for more current events, as a kid I always felt safe there and walked around late coming home from friends houses all the time. There are some really nice private settings all over lindenhurst but I dunno much about areas north of sunrise HWY. I mostly hung out south of sunrise and south of montauk between say 16th street and the old south bay shopping center (which now has panera and marshalls, etc) I think that the town and the village are very nice and there is some very nice down to earth people there, lots of block parties in the summer, etc. I think given the right neighborhood and home it is a nice place to live. I am not sure about the schools, but I do know that my brother in law and sister send their kids to private catholic school (OLPH) I've always heard the high school is not great back in the day, assume that stigma remains today, taxes tend to be high as well. I would say all things being similar lindenhurst has more to offer than WB. I would recommend staying away from north of sunrise and looking at the neighborhoods sandwiched south of sunrise and north of montauk hwy. I know that when I used to live on shore road about 200 yds from the water my house was floded by a storm. I'd stay away from areas too close to areas with storm surges also....oh yeah, plenty-o-strip-malls in LIndy.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Hi jc4, to answer your question, I planon moving to AZ in July. I can get a 4 bdrm/2bath for only 150,000. I brought in Lindenhurst in 2004. I spent 365 for this little ranch and just sold it for 305,000 after putting money into too and I still dont think my house was even worth that. Houses in LI are just too expensive plus the taxes. I couldnt afford the 2100 a month payment anymore especially when Lindy looks like a bklyn with trees. I grew up on bklyn and I just want something a little nicer looking, thats all...

Old 01-26-2010, 12:13 PM

40 posts, read 136,464 times
Rammie where in Bklyn looks like Lindenhurst? Honestly i dont see it.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM

I grew up in Greenpoint/Williamsburg area. It was a dump but are now improving it like a mini manhattan and now you have to be rich there but there are still a lot of old dumpy houses too. Lindenhurst has both old and new on the same block but yet you can walk to a lot of things like in bklyn but it has a lot more trees....lol.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:05 PM

18 posts, read 29,612 times
brooklyn is nothing compared to lindenhurst. brooklyn is loud, mixed & low class. lindenhurst is quiet, peaceful & has great schools. i'm moving there soon from brooklyn & i can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island