Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 10:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes. Her ruinous lies have forever tarnished young men, and now Hofstra University has garnered national negative publicity. How many parents of the current crop of HS seniors would want their daughter considering Hofstra in light of this incident? The U is going to have so spend untold amounts of money to prove that it is a safe place for students.

If this girl has no problem carrying a terrible accusation as far as she did, what's to say she's not academically dishonest as well?
They are not forever tarnished because she recanted her story and everyone now thinks they were falsely accused. SHE is the culprit now.

Hofstra should spend money making it a safe place, not spend money on publicity to make it LOOK like a safe place.

Deeming her academically dishonest because of this? Kind of a stretch IMO. Hofstra is a third tier toilet (especially the law school) anyway so they have no great reputation in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 AM

270 posts, read 969,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
The NY Post is a tabloid, at best. This, and most of its articles, are based on speculation. This theory of a 'twisted motive' is completely unobjective.
Exactly right. Which makes it no better or worse than any of the discussion in this thread. Everyone is speculating or assuming one thing or another. There are only 5 or 6 people who know exactly what went on that night, and that's the way it should be. As soon as you involve the University, the Authorities, the Media, and the public, it becomes a circus of speculation and assumption.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 AM

270 posts, read 969,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Seque5stra ^^^ Believe me, I don't feel sorry for these guys at all. They are a bunch of dirtbags. Another thing ... why does Hofstra allow alcohol in the dorms at all where underage people live? Parties should not be permitted, especially those where intoxicating substances are served and are available to people who live there who are underage. It is ridiculous.
Have you never stepped foot in a college dorm before? As far as I know, alcohol is definitely not allowed in the dorms, but these are college kids - and most of them are not there to just study and get degrees. A good portion of them are there for the lifestyle that goes along with being in college, and for a lot of people, that involves parties with acohol, permitted or not.

In any case, they were at a frat party before the sexual encounter. Unless Hofstra Fraternities are dorm-based, I'm guessing the alochol was not on campus.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,286 times
Quote:
(Chelsa1075--yes, I am a woman; no I don't personally know anyone that's been raped; I will add that I have lots of younger brothers and male cousins and I understand people's concerns about false rape accusations.)

As for this particular case, one of the reasons Danmell Ndonye could have recanted her accusation is because the cops told her that she never explicitly said the word 'NO' on video during the event. Because of this, she would have a hard time in court proving her case. The video would be shown over and over again to a courtroom full of jurors, spectators and press. So, little girl, it would just be easier for you to say you take it back. Then it all goes away. I think she knew all along that the video existed. This whole "she recanted only after she learned about the video!" angle is sketchy. For those of you saying there's no proof she was drunk and she totally wanted it...well, how does a completely sober person not notice someone standing there like Martin Scorsese, taping the whole thing? Two of the men deny having sex with her at all...that is consistent with one of them standing there just to tape. But, if we're saying that she was too drunk to notice...then she was TOO DRUNK. Let's make up our minds. Then again, if someone was SECRETLY taping...aren't there laws against that too?

Let's go over the facts again.
  • Five guys:
    • Stalin Felipe*
    • Kevin Taveras*
    • Jesus Ortiz
    • Rondell Bedward
    • Mystery Man #5.
* step brothers

• One freshman girl:
    • Danmell Ndonye.
  • Frat party (earlier articles had explicitly stated that Ndonye had been "drinking & dancing")
  • Of the 5 guys involved, only ONE, Rondell Bedward, is a fellow Hofstra student.
So how did 4 strangers make it into Estabrook Hall without a card key or ID? Rondell Bedward (who works for campus safety, signs them all in).

Rondell Bedward and Jesus Ortiz both adamantly deny having sexual intercourse with Danmell Ndonye. This means that Ndonye had sex with 3 of the men: Step brothers Stalin Felipe & Kevin Taveras, and Mystery Man #5, right? However, news sources are saying that Mystery Man #5 is the one who videotaped the whole thing. But then police reports state that ALL FIVE men had sexual contact with Ndonye. Was a rape kit done? What does the DNA say? Who is really lying? Did the police completely botch this? Is Hofstra embarassed that their dorms are so unsecure that four strangers can have such easy entrance (by being signed in by campus public safety officer Rondell Bedward, no less)?

Did Ndonye have sex with only the 2 step brothers? While Mystery Man #5 took video? And what of Ortiz and Bedward? They were, what...too moral and chivalrous to participate, but still sexually liberated and adventurous enough to watch? Or maybe Ndonye DID have sex with Mystery Man #5, and either Ortiz and Bedward took video with Mystery Man #5's cell phone. Maybe Ortiz and/or Bedward were standing guard at the bathroom door to make sure no one walked in.

You see what I'm saying? Too many holes, not enough facts, to call this girl a liar.

Again, why did Mystery Man #5 go into hiding even though he had the video that would "prove" his innocence? Maybe he wasn't so sure himself that what was on that tape was totally innocent. Legally, on a technicality, it proves all five are innocent. Lucky for them. But none of these morons are heroes or martyrs. If their lives are "ruined" from this, it's their own damn fault. They don't have any right to sue anybody, I'm not going to congratulate them, and I think they're lucky they're getting off scott free.

Furthermore, we've all seen pictures of these guys. Well, at least 4 of them. To put it bluntly...they're not exactly easy on the eyes:

I have a hard time believing that Ndonye found all four of them so unbelievably hot and sexy that she just had to have sex with all of them in 1 night. And even if that WERE true, I have a hard time believing that she would invite them to have sex with her in a bathroom stall...a men's bathroom stall...a men's bathroom stall on an all male floor in the dorm.
That was a really long post to say men are responsible for their actions/choices but women aren't. In fact men are also responsible for a woman's actions and choices as well as their own.

Does that sum it up?

I personally would rather try raising a girl to be responsible for her actions and to hopefully make good choices.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
Have you never stepped foot in a college dorm before? As far as I know, alcohol is definitely not allowed in the dorms, but these are college kids - and most of them are not there to just study and get degrees. A good portion of them are there for the lifestyle that goes along with being in college, and for a lot of people, that involves parties with acohol, permitted or not.

In any case, they were at a frat party before the sexual encounter. Unless Hofstra Fraternities are dorm-based, I'm guessing the alochol was not on campus.
Things have changed a lot since I went to college. Look at Nassau's new "social host" law about alcohol. There is less putting up with it these days.

Colleges should enforce their regulations and stop turning a blind eye to it.

If people want to party they should live in off campus accomodations and not invite underage drinkers.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
That was a really long post to say men are responsible for their actions/choices but women aren't. In fact men are also responsible for a woman's actions and choices as well as their own.

Does that sum it up?

I personally would rather try raising a girl to be responsible for her actions and to hopefully make good choices.
Men are much more apt to be sexual predators than women. If they weren't, then maybe sentiment (and enforcement of laws) would be equivalent.

I would try raising both girls and boys to be responsible. For anyone who has a teenage son, this is a good example to point to about responsibility.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
They are not forever tarnished because she recanted her story and everyone now thinks they were falsely accused. SHE is the culprit now.

Yes but in the age of Google they will always be knows as the guys that gang banged that girl. And in few years when they are looking for a job it will not be a selling point to perceptive employers. Or they are randomly Googled by friends or perspective in-laws, etc...

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Furthermore, we've all seen pictures of these guys. Well, at least 4 of them. To put it bluntly...they're not exactly easy on the eyes:

I have a hard time believing that Ndonye found all four of them so unbelievably hot and sexy that she just had to have sex with all of them in 1 night. And even if that WERE true, I have a hard time believing that she would invite them to have sex with her in a bathroom stall...a men's bathroom stall...a men's bathroom stall on an all male floor in the dorm.
We've yet to see any photos of Danmell Ndonye. All parties involved made bad decisions, resulting in an horrific mess and no charges, Ms. Ndonye's photo should be released as well.

You've brought up good points about the rape test, etc. What I would like to know is what transpired between her and her boyfriend when she showed up at her room and he was waiting for her.

FWIW: I am the mother of a son and daughter. One rule many of the other moms and myself have is no girls alone with any boys in any rooms with doors closed or no parents home. We realize that there's innocent temptation, as well as false accusations. It's not foolproof, but what else can a parent do short of banning the opposite sex?

My son will be heading off to school next year. Over the years we've raised him to respect young women, no means no. We've pointed out incidents (including Hofstra) as teachable moments -- personal responsibility and the results of poor judgement.

As a parent, I can't imagine the pain that the parents of the accused and the alleged victim are feeling right now.

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
I understand why you may find that hard to believe, but you are a different person. Can we agree that there are girls who will have sex with 4 or 5 men and thing that is perfectly acceptable. According to reports she was not drunk. I would have to be inebriated beyond belief to even entertain anything out of the ordinary, but that is me. That is not every woman. Will you agree that there is definitely a casual approach to sext by young people these days. Saying "no" is usually key in wanting something to stop that is happening to you. It is almost natural to just blurt it out. While I agree that there is more to the story, I don't think that the more is necessarily on the end of the men. Your questions just raise more questions. I wish we were the detectives on the case!

Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
Unless Hofstra Fraternities are dorm-based, I'm guessing the alochol was not on campus.
Hofstra is TTT. You really think they have fraternity houses? Even if they did, if the frat house is on campus it's still part of Hofstra and should be subject to the same rules as dorms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island