Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

anyone know for sure if TVB in queens is also no pleas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
anyone know for sure if TVB in queens is also no pleas?

No pleas? There is no such thing. It's illegal to be issued a ticket that can't be plead. You have a right to defend yourself in court. I think it's in the Constitution.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
No pleas? There is no such thing. It's illegal to be issued a ticket that can't be plead. You have a right to defend yourself in court. I think it's in the Constitution.
You plead and then get the same fine and points you would if you didn't plead.

In relation to NYC traffic violations: When getting a ticket from a highway cop, a serious consideration is whether if is worth taking a day off work to go there, be treated like poop (everyone who works there is straight up NASTY), and get nothing out of it. As someone with experience, who watched about 15 people go before me in the court room and saw all but one get a anything other than the full fine and points (because the officer had lost the ticket)..I can say that IMO it is a waste of time to go there unless it is a very serious offense that could risk your license. I went there for a 2 point $100 issue and I'd have been better off just mailing in the fine and using the personal day for something fun.

However, if you see inconsistencies in the ticket and nothing about radar and only a visual check, that might be worth going in and fighting, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about the judge buying anything you have to say.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:34 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
I believe you should always got to court. Tickets are revenue generators, nothing more.
I would get a lawyer before heading to NYC traffic court though.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 PM

34 posts, read 112,486 times
Default Fighting a Stop Sign in Nassau

OK, I got a ticket for supposedly passing a stop sign. I swear I didn't do it. The stop sign is at a very busy intersection and is situated on an awkward angle. After stopping, I needed to keep inching up and looking over my shoulder to make sure traffic was clear. I turned in front of the cop with plenty of room between us as he was driving in traffic. I was shocked as hell when he pulled me over. All he saw was me inching up and he wasn't even around when I previously came to a stop.

I went to court in Hempstead and thought I was there to plea bargain with the prosecutors. I asked if I could explain the situation and I brought pictures of the intersection and the lawyer could care less!! He was so rude and arrogant and was looking all around the room instead of looking at me or the pictures. He immediately said, OK you'll get a notice in the mail to appear for a trial. I feel cheated that I wasn't even offered a lower fine and reduction in points as all of the other people in the room were offered. I feel 100% innocent, but I'd rather not take another day off from work and from what I've been reading in this post most people never get a lesser fine when facing the officer in court. Do I have the right to complain that I wasn't offered a plea bargain? Also, I noticed on the ticket, the officer spelled the street name wrong and left out one letter. Is that reason to dismiss it?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:46 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSResident View Post
OK, I got a ticket for supposedly passing a stop sign. I swear I didn't do it. The stop sign is at a very busy intersection and is situated on an awkward angle. After stopping, I needed to keep inching up and looking over my shoulder to make sure traffic was clear. I turned in front of the cop with plenty of room between us as he was driving in traffic. I was shocked as hell when he pulled me over. All he saw was me inching up and he wasn't even around when I previously came to a stop.

I went to court in Hempstead and thought I was there to plea bargain with the prosecutors. I asked if I could explain the situation and I brought pictures of the intersection and the lawyer could care less!! He was so rude and arrogant and was looking all around the room instead of looking at me or the pictures. He immediately said, OK you'll get a notice in the mail to appear for a trial. I feel cheated that I wasn't even offered a lower fine and reduction in points as all of the other people in the room were offered. I feel 100% innocent, but I'd rather not take another day off from work and from what I've been reading in this post most people never get a lesser fine when facing the officer in court. Do I have the right to complain that I wasn't offered a plea bargain? Also, I noticed on the ticket, the officer spelled the street name wrong and left out one letter. Is that reason to dismiss it?
If you're a woman, I swear crying has gotten me out of jury duty and the 3 tickets I ever got.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSResident View Post

1) The prosecutors never look you in the eye..you are a number to them. They are miserable doing this type of work, you think they went to law school to give people the wet noodle for going through a stop sign?

2) I would definitely go to court and point out the inconsistencies and errors in the police report. Also describe how far away the cop was when you made the turn and that you saw him before you made the turn, etc. You never know. Of course, you could be completely telling the truth and still get screwed, because...tickets for the most part are about revenue, not safety.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Actually, many GPS devices do this now (except for the slowing down part). The kind of device you describe is called a "governor" and many trucks have it actually. Usually, to allow for emergency passing they were set to about 60-65 instead of 55, though with higher limits in some parts of the country now they're often set to 70 or so.

As for the 50mph limit, all limited-access highways within the 5 boros have a 50mph or lower limit. They were 55 well before that went national and when that did go national in 1974 the City lowered their roads to 50 (or in the case of the BQE, 45!!!).
When you say "limited-access highways" do you mean passenger vehicle only, no trucks? If so I guess I better watch it on the Grand Central and Cross Island (The Belt is usually too backed up for me to speed!)

Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If you're a woman, I swear crying has gotten me out of jury duty and the 3 tickets I ever got.
OMG! You are awful! LOL!

Several years ago I got out of jury duty by telling the judge straight up that "I would not be inclined to favor the government's case if the government is preventing me from making a living." You should have seen HER face (and the defendant turned around and gave me a big smile). LOL! But I was doing IC work and there is no pay from the job for jury duty when it comes to that and I could not afford to take days off. It was bad enough I had to go there and shuffle around for 1 day. Too bad. Now that I am working a "real" job where the heck are the jury duty summons? I will never get one. I only get them when I cannot afford to do it.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
OMG! You are awful! LOL!

Several years ago I got out of jury duty by telling the judge straight up that "I would not be inclined to favor the government's case if the government is preventing me from making a living." You should have seen HER face (and the defendant turned around and gave me a big smile). LOL! But I was doing IC work and there is no pay from the job for jury duty when it comes to that and I could not afford to take days off. It was bad enough I had to go there and shuffle around for 1 day. Too bad. Now that I am working a "real" job where the heck are the jury duty summons? I will never get one. I only get them when I cannot afford to do it.
For me, this was 5 years ago...22 at the time...and I had just started my job a week before. They wanted me on a 6 week trial. I know by law I couldn't get fired from my job but how bad would that have been if I was the newbie @ work and then I was out for a month a half? Lol...so then came the water works. (Cleavage would have helped too probably but the judge was a woman).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island