Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
When you say "limited-access highways" do you mean passenger vehicle only, no trucks? If so I guess I better watch it on the Grand Central and Cross Island (The Belt is usually too backed up for me to speed!)
Actually it means any highway that doesn't have an intersection, i.e. a highway with exits and on-ramps. So it includes "truck" highways like the BQE, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
For me, this was 5 years ago...22 at the time...and I had just started my job a week before. They wanted me on a 6 week trial. I know by law I couldn't get fired from my job but how bad would that have been if I was the newbie @ work and then I was out for a month a half? Lol...so then came the water works. (Cleavage would have helped too probably but the judge was a woman).
You did the right thing, job probably would've found some other way to get rid of you, either make it so miserable that you quit or find after enough time some bs "performance" excuse to get rid of you and then you can have fun finding the time and money to sue them and prove otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 PM

99 posts, read 272,710 times
"just request a supporting deposition and say you never got it. "

Does not work in TVB, you have no right to that. Only in real courts. The only real traffic courts on LI are Nassau, and non SCPD juristiction. I know, I beat a ticket upstate with supporting deposition.

The Clearview NYPD Highway (Highway 2) are notorious for lots of tickets. They will also always show up for court. Also, now a days they make you come back again if the officer does not show up to tvb, and will not dismiss unless the officer does not show up 2x (which basically never happens anymore). Trust me, I know plenty of ppl that got tickets on clearview and got convicted. If you go to court it will be just like what a previous poster said, an administrative law judge (IE not a real judge with no power of incarciration but the power to make your driving life hell and fine you bad) will just rubber stamp the NYPD HWY testimony to guilty. I do not see people beat these guys. Get a lawyer, it is your only hope.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:33 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Geez as an out of state driver I think the whole concept of speeding tickets and highway patrol in NY is a worthless oxymoron. I mean you folks have such ridiculously low speed limits that when you get on the highways of mainland America you're going half the speed of everyone else.

I once got pulled over in Stagnacious Island and when I went to the rent-a-judge halloween suit court the cops there just have this memorized robotic trance speech that they read off for each "customer" of how they are trained to clock the speed of a car by using their superpower x-ray vision eyes and oh BTW they also then checked there radar which confirmed the same results, suuure.

I got out of one ticky at least by just throwing the stupid thing out and finally going to court years later. The cop showed up and just told the judge it was 5 years ago and he couldn't remember anything about the case.

Anyway you folks shouldn't have any such things as Highway Patrols in NY as most people have there kids driving tricycles faster than the NY speed limits. Also you should have a system where you can pay extra $ to change it to something else like not being able to remember you're grandma's cousins last name or something similar no points like we have on the other side of the bridges here. Oh and I only got away with throwing the ticket out because I never had a NY license, so you might just have to show up.

Tell them you weren't moving at all. You were sitting still in one place and the Earth was spinning beneath your car. It just ticks me off for such a slow moving place to be giving out tickets.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 PM

7 posts, read 18,135 times
Hauppague court is notorious for not plea bargaining. They are one of the hardest courts to have a ticket throw out in. The most important thing at this point is to review your ticket and make sure your positive as to how the officer clocked your speed. Whether it was radar, laser or by sight. you want to prove that the means in which he derived your speed was wrong or the radar or laser gun was malfunctioning. That is the only hope you have of getting out of this thing. Also if you have the exact distance that the cop was from you when he tagged you that could be helpful as well. If you were over 1000 feet away, radar and laser guns are inadmissible unless, the officer brings a radar and laser gun expert to testify on their accuracy on that particular day in those particular weather conditions.

There are tests that need to be done everyday before a radar or laser gun is used, and there are tests that need to be done after your caught speeding. The guns also need to be tested once a month and sent to a testing facility once a year to check calibration. The officer may state some of this but he should also have documentation of when these tests were done and what the outcomes where ect. ect. If you want more info on this let me know I'll email you.

I got out of a speeding ticket doing 41 in a 20mph school zone. 6pt infraction doubled for school zone. 12 points total. Got out of it because I proved that officer did not properly check calibration on radar gun.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,125 times
just carry a pba card like i do! no more tickets!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
just carry a pba card like i do! no more tickets!
i have 4 of them this year lol

Old 09-27-2009, 10:10 PM

81 posts, read 134,146 times
EVERYone should plead not guilty and get their day in court - yes, I know it is sometimes a hassle and PITA to get down there, but it is your RIGHTto do so, and everyone deserves their day in court to explain themselves/be heard. Plus, I want the overtime.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:58 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGuy View Post
EVERYone should plead not guilty and get their day in court - yes, I know it is sometimes a hassle and PITA to get down there, but it is your RIGHTto do so, and everyone deserves their day in court to explain themselves/be heard. Plus, I want the overtime.

You don't get overtime for court appearances. Geez, at least be honest.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 AM

81 posts, read 134,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
You don't get overtime for court appearances. Geez, at least be honest.

Sorrrry.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGuy View Post
Sorrrry.

You can be misleading if you wan't to but you do not get OT for going to court. If cops no longer had to go to court EVER again they would still find a way to make OT. Who are you kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island