Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So then what are you? An agitator? Like we need more of those on LI!

Oh yeah, i'm an agitator because I find it entertaining that this site tends to drive out those that don't share the opinions of the status quo!
I mean, please. Have you ever visited a site that is more biased than this one? Read the posts with an objective mind for a change. It's enlightening.
The very mention of the possibility the housing market may rebound gets everyone all in a tizzy. Misery loves company, huh?
I merely state my opinion, just like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 02:32 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Oh yeah, i'm an agitator because I find it entertaining that this site tends to drive out those that don't share the opinions of the status quo!
I mean, please. Have you ever visited a site that is more biased than this one? Read the posts with an objective mind for a change. It's enlightening.
The very mention of the possibility the housing market may rebound gets everyone all in a tizzy. Misery loves company, huh?
I don't understand your point at all... Are you saying the majority of folks here are "biased" against the housing market rebounding? Like we're all ignoring the 800 lb gorilla that you can only see. You can't be serious... or maybe you are part of that group that believes this whole economic mess is all "media hype".

Just of curiosity in your rebound scenario - where are the next generation of Long Island buying homes? What happens to all the people I know who've been laid off? What happens to all those people who have ARMs that trigger next year?

I won't speak for the "status quo", but even rose colored glasses have a limitation.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Someone is living in la la land. Aren't a decent number of people posting here real estate agents? What exactly do you think their bias would tend to be towards?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I don't understand your point at all... Are you saying the majority of folks here are "biased" against the housing market rebounding? Like we're all ignoring the 800 lb gorilla that you can only see. You can't be serious... or maybe you are part of that group that believes this whole economic mess is all "media hype".

Just of curiosity in your rebound scenario - where are the next generation of Long Island buying homes? What happens to all the people I know who've been laid off? What happens to all those people who have ARMs that trigger next year?

I won't speak for the "status quo", but even rose colored glasses have a limitation.

First, read real estate related topics. Go back 6-8 pages, then come back to me. Apology accepted. This place is totally biased against the RE market rebounding! Go read for yourself. A few members are quite vocal about the market not rebounding, post after post after post, yet have never been accused of being an agitator.
You can view my past posts to see my opinion about the RE market. No need to get into it here, but I kinda have expressed my opinion by stating the reasons the market will stabilize. Agree or disagree, fine with me.
So this site has a vocal majority. Sometimes i'm in it and sometimes not.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
First, read real estate related topics. Go back 6-8 pages, then come back to me. Apology accepted. This place is totally biased against the RE market rebounding! Go read for yourself. A few members are quite vocal about the market not rebounding, post after post after post, yet have never been accused of being an agitator.
You can view my past posts to see my opinion about the RE market. No need to get into it here, but I kinda have expressed my opinion by stating the reasons the market will stabilize. Agree or disagree, fine with me.
So this site has a vocal majority. Sometimes i'm in it and sometimes not.
You missed the point that this site attracts relos for advice, which attracts the realtors (en masse); who are clearly biased towards the market rebounding - obviously because their living depends on homes moving... Add in the people who absolutely have to sell who come here for opinions and I believe you're looking at a significant populace of this community who hope (and have to believe on many levels) that the housing market will rebound nicely.

I understand your point about the short sales and foreclosures. Putting aside how I've read we've only seen the tip of the iceberg there when a huge amount of ARMs hit next year, I agree. But I believe you're ignoring some very obvious signs of continued issues nationally with the economy in thinking that suddenly that run down ranch on a postage stamp is worth 400k in today's dollars.

We'll see statistics about "home sales", but what most of this is missing is the price point that's moving. People are buying at very low price points - that's what is moving and that's what is driving the market right now. Sure, there will always be people with money. No matter how bad the economy gets, there will be people who have... But, the middle class has always driven the market on Long Island and right now they are hurting big time. If you truly believe that the housing market will rebound, you have to believe that the middle class will rebound. They are not mutually exclusive... Maybe the doom and gloomers are just more vocal lately - hell, I'm a card carrying member, but you can't blame them for being upset with what is happening all around us.

In the end I don't know what the answer is, but I don't feel like things are just going to work themselves out and then see the market suddenly jump again. Unless something drastic happens, things are going to bounce around trying to find a bottom for a long while to come.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You missed the point that this site attracts relos for advice, which attracts the realtors (en masse); who are clearly biased towards the market rebounding - obviously because their living depends on homes moving... Add in the people who absolutely have to sell who come here for opinions and I believe you're looking at a significant populace of this community who hope (and have to believe on many levels) that the housing market will rebound nicely.

I understand your point about the short sales and foreclosures. Putting aside how I've read we've only seen the tip of the iceberg there when a huge amount of ARMs hit next year, I agree. But I believe you're ignoring some very obvious signs of continued issues nationally with the economy in thinking that suddenly that run down ranch on a postage stamp is worth 400k in today's dollars.

We'll see statistics about "home sales", but what most of this is missing is the price point that's moving. People are buying at very low price points - that's what is moving and that's what is driving the market right now. Sure, there will always be people with money. No matter how bad the economy gets, there will be people who have... But, the middle class has always driven the market on Long Island and right now they are hurting big time. If you truly believe that the housing market will rebound, you have to believe that the middle class will rebound. They are not mutually exclusive... Maybe the doom and gloomers are just more vocal lately - hell, I'm a card carrying member, but you can't blame them for being upset with what is happening all around us.

In the end I don't know what the answer is, but I don't feel like things are just going to work themselves out and then see the market suddenly jump again. Unless something drastic happens, things are going to bounce around trying to find a bottom for a long while to come.

Good post.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Someone is living in la la land. Aren't a decent number of people posting here real estate agents? What exactly do you think their bias would tend to be towards?

Gee, how many RE agents have you beat up on this forum?
Tom's been tarred and feathered for chrissakes.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 PM

518 posts, read 1,821,135 times
if youre gonna do it just do it, what the hell. everyone is so worried about "the market". look if u are buying a house to live in it (not to just flip in 6 months) then the market dont really mean anything. 5-10 years from now, its not gonna be worth less than u paid.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
if youre gonna do it just do it, what the hell. everyone is so worried about "the market". look if u are buying a house to live in it (not to just flip in 6 months) then the market dont really mean anything. 5-10 years from now, its not gonna be worth less than u paid.

Of course! Now prepare for 19 pages of explanations for why you are wrong.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
Anything is better than renting.

That's MY 2 cents. I bought b/c I am willing to take a chance on a cruddy market, but at least there is a chance things could come around. With renting, you will never make money. That's the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island