Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Thanks. I'll see how it goes. If it becomes intolerable LI bashing from people in NC, or people moving to NC...I'll have to take another break. No need to get too fired up about things.

I agree with SoCal to a point, but I've been to LA and SD a number of times and I still think overall LI is the best. Now, I would consider moving to the Darien area, perhaps Westchester, too. Both quite nice. I think family moves LI to the top over those 2. Hey, when LI goes into GCT, that's a big plus for Westchester and CT taken away, too!

LOL

Agreed on CT.

If it had ocean beaches...it would be paradise.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Let's see:
-my job is in Manhattan and it would be nearly impossible to find something similar elsewhere
-Love the beach and ocean
-Love the city and spend lots of non work related time there.
-Family and friends are here
-Most of all, I'm VERY HAPPY HERE!

Sorry, but I'm not going to pack up and move to the latest "hot spot" down south just so I can save a few grand in taxes and maybe end up with a slightly bigger house in some area where fine dining is The Cheesecake Factory and the only "deli" in town is a Subway.

Only thing I dislike are the winters.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Let's see:
-my job is in Manhattan and it would be nearly impossible to find something similar elsewhere

Sorry, but I'm not going to pack up and move to the latest "hot spot" down south just so I can save a few grand in taxes and maybe end up with a slightly bigger house in some area where fine dining is The Cheesecake Factory and the only "deli" in town is a Subway.

I think I love you (aside from the winter thing)...holla at yo' boyyyeee!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:48 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times
Quote:
Let's see:

Awesome.

QOTD Strong Island.

Crooks

Old 11-23-2009, 12:49 PM

12 posts, read 21,577 times
Quote:
Let's see:

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Who knows? 2012-2015? Digging tunnels to NYC as we speak. Should be great.

MTA Capital Construction - East Side Access

Also, the third rail on the main line is being contested, but I feel like it will win out. This will add more rush hour capacity into the city and more trains from the city out...which should make LI a more viable place for business.

Edit:

At GCT, a new passenger concourse will be constructed in space currently occupied by Metro-North’s Madison Avenue Yard. Eight tracks and four wide platforms will be constructed, along with mezzanines and concourses, beneath Park Avenue at an elevation below GCT’s existing lower level. Scheduled for completion in 2015, the project has a budget of $7.2 billion dollars.

Yeah, doing this is a no brainer.

Now get a 2nd ave subway line and a cross sound bridge and we'll be officially into the 21st century.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM

You know how many places, even some "major" cities, onyl have Subway? Only have supermarker crap fest bagels and pizza. Only have Dominoes. A lot don't have bakeries or butchers, just Wal Mart and, I don't know Wegmen's or Publix. Whatever, a supermarket. No sir, not for me.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yeah, doing this is a no brainer.

Now get a 2nd ave subway line and a cross sound bridge and we'll be officially into the 21st century.
Nice...Cross Sound Link. Tunnel Proposed by a developed, Polimeni. Genius.

The Cross Sound Link Project - Team

Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM

748 posts, read 2,889,215 times
My reasons are a subset.
1) Profession. I can find similar work in a few places, and so can my wife.. but both of us finding it in the same place is not easy.
2) Family
3) Indian shopping and community -- Not too many places in the US where you can find Indian culture classes like dance / music etc and lots of Indian temples nearby.
Schools, Airport, weather, and the city are not really a great pull.. though having NYC nearby does offer me opportunities that I am not taking advantage of currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
GCGuy,

I too live in GC. And, while I agree that in real estate you get what you pay for, that doesn't mean there isn't waste, over-taxation, and political corruption here that we need to stamp out.

---

Now, onto the reasons I'm not leaving Long Island:

1. Profession in the city--NYC has the type of work I do.

2. Family--I have quite a bit of family nearby, and I'd prefer to keep everyone together as much as possible.

3. Italian community--It's nice to be close to Italian cultural events, food, art, music, language, etc. and to pass that on to my children.

4. Amenities in the city--The choice of food, entertainment, arts, music, culture, and international flavor of NYC is tough to match.

5. Airports--Having flights to just about any place in the world is a huge advantage. The wife is from London, so the quick Atlantic flights are key.

6. Weather--I like 4 distinct seasons a lot.

7. Schools--I put this one last because I think the difference between LI schools and other good districts in the US is pretty marginal. IMO, good schools can be had anywhere, especially if you go private with money saved on cost of living.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 PM

748 posts, read 2,889,215 times
This project has little chance of taking off. Local communities in Westchester and Long Island are not too happy with this.. especially because it is going through affluent communities in both regions. Cold Spring Harbor ( Village of Laurel Hollow) and Rye are both opposed to this.

Quote:
Nice...Cross Sound Link. Tunnel Proposed by a developed, Polimeni. Genius.

The Cross Sound Link Project - Team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island