Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:53 PM

152 posts, read 547,973 times

Advertisements

Crooks,

Necromancing your own thread? How tacky.

But typical.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
Crooks,

Necromancing your own thread? How tacky.

But typical.
No not really and this thead is pretty young.

I just dovetailed into another similar thread becuse it was basically the same topic.
But thanks for the bump brimasa.

You are wise beyond your join date friend.

Apparently lurkers and the banshed love me.
Such hostility.

crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 12-27-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-27-2010, 08:24 AM

14 posts, read 31,873 times
Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I think affordability is the number 1 factor, no doubt. That means house prices and taxes. However, high on the list for others is:

1. Traffic
2. Access to other points west of here.
3. Population density
4. What is generally perceived as a "me first" culture where rudeness prevails. Self interest and the accumulation of wealth are dominant here and you don't see a lot of selflessness, empathy, and kindness to others. To be fair, this is indicative of the whole NY metro region.
Amen! The "Me first" attitude, along with the un-affordability factor is driving me away from L.I./NY. I am an RN and the meannes, arrogance, selfishness, nastiness, lack of empathy, "I've got mine" generalized atmosphere from the people in this area is overwhelming. What i want to know is "WHY" are people so nasty? Do they think they are in control of their lives? As an RN I can tell you that they are not. None of us are getting out of this thing called life on Earth...alive. SO, hey peeps, why be so mean to each other? We're all going to end up in the same place...not to be morbid, but it is true!

Old 02-27-2010, 05:45 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer777 View Post
Amen! The "Me first" attitude, along with the un-affordability factor is driving me away from L.I./NY. I am an RN and the meannes, arrogance, selfishness, nastiness, lack of empathy, "I've got mine" generalized atmosphere from the people in this area is overwhelming. What i want to know is "WHY" are people so nasty? Do they think they are in control of their lives? As an RN I can tell you that they are not. None of us are getting out of this thing called life on Earth...alive. SO, hey peeps, why be so mean to each other? We're all going to end up in the same place...not to be morbid, but it is true!
Oh don't say that now. I hope I end up in Paris

Old 02-27-2010, 06:08 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Generally speaking I find that my kind of folk can afford it here but are sick and tired of being raped by the government, as well as dealing with all the self centered a-holes that live Island wide. (I'm on fire tonite. Had a really bad day.)
And, Generally speaking I find that most of my kind of folk could previously afford it here but could not keep up with the astronmical rise in cost of living, particularly the property taxes, which in Nassau have quadrupled in a very short period of time, while salaries have not increased equally at the same rapid fire rate. When one year you are adjusted and comfortable with paying 2200 a year, and within 3 years you are up to paying 8200, that kinda sucks don't ya think? unless you are independantly wealthy, then it don't matter I spose. Once Nassau imposed their new assessment system my taxes on my previous house went from $1200 a year to $3500 the next year, and within 3 years were up to $5500! By then I had to sell. Screw off! I bought the house knowing I could afford a certain amount, how do you compensate or adjust to this financial raping? really? WTF? It crippled me financially at the time. And the wealthy politicians don't give a damn because at the end of the day, they still do OK. It's total BS. Really, in all honesty, people on limited or fixed incomes, how could these politicians in good conscience expect these people to compensate for this extremely large increase in monthly expenses?
If you know you can buy a gallon of milk for 2 bucks anywhere else, why pay 3 bucks here? for the same exact gallon of milk? what makes the $3 milk so special? Really.

Look, if you're a millionaire, it doesn't matter, you got a million bucks, and you are used to living on a milllion bucks, well all of a sudden you need 2 million bucks to live, but you still only have the million. What do you do? it's ridiculous. ********** place.
"me" Island. It's not about you, it's all about me. Me. I am the most important person in the world, and nothing or nobody else matters because I am more important and better than everyone else. And that sadly, is the attitude of not all, but the majority of LI'ers. I'm out. Later.

Last edited by hotkarl; 02-27-2010 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: spelling, what else?

Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer777 View Post
Well said.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 PM

167 posts, read 383,457 times
This thread was probably started by one of those arrogant LI'ers. The title "generally speaking I find the people who hate it here are struggling..." is the pinnacle of ignorance. Has this person realized yet that "official" unemployment nationwide is at about 10%, and the unofficial number (meaning people who have given up looking, run out of benefits, or are "underemployed") is really between 15-20%. The real numbers are very bad, and they ARE struggling! Many LI'ers have been laid off from jobs here and in the city, and through no fault of their own. Get your head out of your butt and smell the coffee.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
This thread was probably started by one of those arrogant LI'ers. The title "generally speaking I find the people who hate it here are struggling..." is the pinnacle of ignorance. Has this person realized yet that "official" unemployment nationwide is at about 10%, and the unofficial number (meaning people who have given up looking, run out of benefits, or are "underemployed") is really between 15-20%. The real numbers are very bad, and they ARE struggling! Many LI'ers have been laid off from jobs here and in the city, and through no fault of their own. Get your head out of your butt and smell the coffee.
Youre right ...that guys a weenie.

Truth be told not eveyones struggling.
Theres still plenty of money under the mattresses.

Sorry you lost your job, but theres still a few to be had.
Keep the faith.

Crooks

Old 02-27-2010, 08:18 PM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Generally speaking I find that my kind of folk can afford it here but are sick and tired of being raped by the government, as well as dealing with all the self centered a-holes that live Island wide. (I'm on fire tonite. Had a really bad day.)
And, Generally speaking I find that most of my kind of folk could previously afford it here but could not keep up with the astronmical rise in cost of living, particularly the property taxes, which in Nassau have quadrupled in a very short period of time, while salaries have not increased equally at the same rapid fire rate. When one year you are adjusted and comfortable with paying 2200 a year, and within 3 years you are up to paying 8200, that kinda sucks don't ya think? unless you are independantly wealthy, then it don't matter I spose. Once Nassau imposed their new assessment system my taxes on my previous house went from $1200 a year to $3500 the next year, and within 3 years were up to $5500! By then I had to sell. Screw off! I bought the house knowing I could afford a certain amount, how do you compensate or adjust to this financial raping? really? WTF? It crippled me financially at the time. And the wealthy politicians don't give a damn because at the end of the day, they still do OK. It's total BS. Really, in all honesty, people on limited or fixed incomes, how could these politicians in good conscience expect these people to compensate for this extremely large increase in monthly expenses?
If you know you can buy a gallon of milk for 2 bucks anywhere else, why pay 3 bucks here? for the same exact gallon of milk? what makes the $3 milk so special? Really.

Look, if you're a millionaire, it doesn't matter, you got a million bucks, and you are used to living on a milllion bucks, well all of a sudden you need 2 million bucks to live, but you still only have the million. What do you do? it's ridiculous. ********** place.
"me" Island. It's not about you, it's all about me. Me. I am the most important person in the world, and nothing or nobody else matters because I am more important and better than everyone else. And that sadly, is the attitude of not all, but the majority of LI'ers. I'm out. Later.
Couldn't agree more. I might not be struggling now...but ask me 3 years from now when my taxes go from $8200/year to $11,000/year. Or when oil goes back up to $4 a gallon.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:17 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
I am not struggling by any means (knock on wood), but I want out !! its a reality, and thank God there are lots of folks who still don't get it.... I need to get a head start on the train out of LI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island