Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 PM

138 posts, read 492,105 times

Advertisements

i can't deny it's crowded and the parking lot is a nightmare, but i don't think john's farms is dirty at all.

deli & produce & meat prices are great and totally worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 07:55 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Would that be Frank Greenberg, Frank Cohen or Frank Schwartz?
LOL

Anyways just found this website, and this thread. I am actually buying a house in Old Bethpage that I plan on putting a dormer on it. So go ahead and add me to the "McMansion List".

I was originally looking at the splits in Old Bethpage going for the mid 500s, but I decided instead to buy a 1 story ranch on the super cheap, and just add the second floor. I will be getting a larger house (2000+ sq/ft colonial vs a 1300-1500 sq/ft split), with everything brand new.

The biggest advantage I found buying in Old Bethpage (with Plainview schools) is the housing stock. Old Bethpage is one of the few neighborhoods where you can buy a 400k house, put a 100k dormer on it, and still get your money back (for the most part). You are not going to price yourself out of the housing market when there are plenty of homes in Old Bethpage selling for 600k and up. This was very important to me.

I was originally looking in Massapequa and Wantagh and I don't think this would be the case in those two towns (especially Massapequa).

I like the centrally located area of Old Bethpage being closer to the LIE and such (I am currently in Seaford), however I am not looking forward to commuting on the Ronkonkoma LIRR line. I may still commute out of Seaford (Babylon line) instead.

I am not Jewish so that didn't take part into my decision in buying in Old Bethpage.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 AM

416 posts, read 698,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
however I am not looking forward to commuting on the Ronkonkoma LIRR line. I may still commute out of Seaford (Babylon line) instead.
Good call... the ronkonkoma line is brutal. The people are by far the worst on this line (and I have experience with almost all LIRR lines).

Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 AM

176 posts, read 474,758 times
interesting ideas....It seems the housing supply for POB is very light right now...does the stock tend to boom in the spring?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:37 AM

57 posts, read 166,622 times
yes, ocabrera7, the syosset/plainview community is one that revolves around the lives of school-aged children so houses are really only put on the market in the late winter/early spring so families can move without having children change schools mid-year.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 AM

294 posts, read 879,342 times
Currently there are 11 Old Bethpage listings (school district #4 - Plainview/Old Bethpage) and 98 with a Plainview mailing address (also SD#4). There are also 7 homes with a Plainview mailing address and school district #21 (Bethpage).

Yes, the inventory tends to grow in the spring, but I expect a bit of a surge after the holidays due to the tax credit for current homeowners looking to sell.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,265 times
Default Boston to Plainview

I dont know Boston but I do live in plainview and do not recomend it. Houses are too over priced. You will not get alot for the money you want to spend. In general everything is over priced here. Just look at the cost of living index "VERY HIGH" 149 aprox. Look for a smarter place to live for your money. Schools are ok but I am sure you can get just as good with an average or below average cost of living with good schools too.

People in Plainview tend to act like they live in a fantasy, drive fancy cars to show off and live well beyond their means. I can afford many things but choose to live normal and smart. Good Luck in your search.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 AM

176 posts, read 474,758 times
Long Island will definately be more expensive than a comparable or even 'better' town here in MA. unfortunately it is family and friends that brings me back and the premium on that outweighs the increased cost of living. I am hoping for the best but that I fear getting that first mortgage check all in....not that we can't afford it, but it we'll have to get used to it fer sure. We did some calcs. and currently we only spend 23% of our after tax income on that mtg. check. I expect that amount to go up to 36-38% of after tax income in plainview or a whoping ~60% increase in cost of living (for residential costs), granted we would be moving to a MUCH better school district but still.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 PM

9 posts, read 19,952 times
if you have the choice between sending your child to syosset or plainview, choose plainview. its the lesser of two evils.

ps- we used to have a petland..it was in the fairway shopping center

Old 07-16-2012, 10:12 AM

17 posts, read 34,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Would that be Frank Greenberg, Frank Cohen or Frank Schwartz?
You'rr an idiot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island