Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 AM

176 posts, read 474,843 times

Advertisements

looking for some general feedback, I know the schools (POB) are very good, peraps not the best but very good. I lived in Lindenhurst NY for about 10 years as a kid (went to St John the baptist HS) and I am familiar with some of the areas of LI. I think realistically I would like to spend sub 550k for a home (not a total starter) I am not adverse to some renovations as I have done this in the past. While I realize this is generally an affluent community I am not a person that likes to throw $$ around and despise that sort of attitude generally. My wife and I have a 16 month old and we could afford more home than what I outlined above but we do not want to work just to fund a home and town taxes. I am not familiar with Plainview but I have been in farmingdale, melville, and deer park as a passer by. I would like to ask for feedback on the community as a whole and town features, is there a town center (main street) with restaurants and that kind of thing or is most of the stuff in say hicksville and farmingdale, syoset. I currently live in a town that is blue-collar for the most part but has a nice town center, schools are 50th percentile or so. I think in this regard plainview would be an upgrade as far as I can tell. Would love to hear some color and or any insight people can give regarding surrounding areas, etc. Thanks in advance. Another thing, I work in finance so convenience of travel to Manhattan is also important (travel under 1hr preferable).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:03 AM

292 posts, read 820,394 times
PLainview doesn't have a town center or a RR station.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:42 AM

748 posts, read 2,889,215 times
While Plainview does not have a town center, there are plenty of small malls, shopping centers and restaurants in Plainview. I think your budget will fit well with plainview. Nothing is too far away.

550k should get you a good sized home that will require some updates.

There are plenty of kids activities here to keep you busy.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:45 AM

138 posts, read 492,200 times
we rented in Plainview for a while, and liked it a lot.
i am more familiar with the areas around old country road, particualry south of old country, than i am with the areas by maneto hill road etc.

though it does lack a main st, nvertheless you are close to all.
best bet for commute would probably be going to hicksville LIRR. Or maybe Bethpage depending on where in Plainview you land.

2 very nice shoprites, + Fairway, which is great.
nice town park/pool over by St Pius.

nice library with late hours on Sunday.

i'd say it's a swell spot if you can foot the bill.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 PM

thanks all, I think i like a little more of the 'country' feel that plainview maybe able to offer as opposed to some of the other more congested areas, I was thinking of going to hicksville for the train...thanks for mentioning that. Would love to hear more about neighborly relations, community activities, etc.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabrera7 View Post
thanks all, I think i like a little more of the 'country' feel that plainview maybe able to offer as opposed to some of the other more congested areas, I was thinking of going to hicksville for the train...thanks for mentioning that. Would love to hear more about neighborly relations, community activities, etc.
You're kidding me, right?

There is basically no "country feel" on Long Island West of say...William Floyd Parkway?

Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM

28 posts, read 112,217 times
Plainview has good schools and the kids really care about their grades and are very competitive in that regard. The commute is not bad to the city because the Hicksville train station is only 10 minutes away and you can get a Town of Oyster Bay parking permit to park there. The area is mixed, some very affluent, some not so much. The area is trending toward more affluent though as more and more large colonials are popping up everywhere and selling for 800,000 or so. There are alot of medical offices nearby and of course the hospital, however, the hospital does not have a pediatric department so your child would have to be transferred to a children's hospital if a hospital admission becomes necessary. Also, they have middle school starting in 5th grade which can be kind of tough for a 10 year old to get used to! The biggest drawback however is the taxes. Property taxes in Plainview are extremely high and the school budget is a big part of that. But there is universal bussing so even if your kid lives a block away from school he/she can still take the bus. I also think the high school is a bit overcrowded with some classes having as many as 28 kids.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Plainview? Country feel? Have you been there or are you just judging it by its name?!! You must really be moving from the 'hood!

Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM

57 posts, read 166,648 times
Plainview is a nice town. It has great shopping centers and a pretty good school system. Jericho and Syosset schools will always be seen as superior to Plainview but if you can't afford a home in those districts, then I'm sure Plainview won't disappoint. I would spend some time in one (or both) of the Shop Rites in Plainview to get an accurate feel of what the community is like...

Old 11-25-2009, 06:38 AM

Thanks all, would love to get back on topic....I was overstating the country feel thing I suppose. I have not spent much time there but I know that at least it has a few parks as opposed to some other towns. Can anyone else commnent as far as other benefits of being a resident of the town of Oyster Bay? so you mean I would not have to pay for parking each day at hicksville? I just need to pay monthly or yearly? Also do you guys think the taxes are reallyh that much more than any other town with decent schools? Would love to hear from some actual residents.....and yes I am a redsox fan, but patriots blue and red runs in my blood. Sorry Jets fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island