Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 19,291 times

Advertisements

We put a bid in on a house and gave full asking. We then signed the contract given to us by the seller. The seller has since refused to sign (she is elderly and is having health issues -still wants to sign, but wont say when).

Even though the seller hasn't signed, I think that under the law, there is still a contract. When they gave us the contract that was the "offer" and when we signed that was the "acceptance" so that means there is a "contract" even if the seller hasn't signed.

Is there anything I can threaten the seller with for failing to move forward? What are the damages for the seller refusing to go through with the sale? We are out the inspectors report, will have to sign a new lease for a place to stay while this gets sorted out. I posted before and the replies said drop the house but I woulld really like to get this house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer5 View Post
Even though the seller hasn't signed, I think that under the law, there is still a contract. When they gave us the contract that was the "offer" and when we signed that was the "acceptance" so that means there is a "contract" even if the seller hasn't signed.
Since when ? As far as I know a contract means you need the signatures from both parties. I'm lost... who is advising you that you are under contract under law ? As others have said maybe you need a new attorney....

You have not mentioned if you put anything down yet.... Its quite obvious that you have fallen in love with the house.... just let it go now.... its not that bad.... unless you really get the seller to sign it (health problems.... I call BS !!) Threaten to get out and don't be surprised how they wake up from the dead to sign the sheet of paper if they really want to sell.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:10 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
There is no contract because the other party has not signed. You could possibly take the owner to small claims court to recoup the cost of the inspector's report, provided the owner never signs the contract. Otherwise I don't think there is much else you can do. IMO forget about trying to force this old lady out of her home prematurely to meet your timeline of not wanting to sign another lease. She does not owe you any timeframe at all according to the contract you described, especially since she never signed it at all. Get a real lawyer in the future. Also, it sounds like you are a first-time home buyer, so be prepared for plenty of aggravation and maybe more lost opportunities that you thought would go through. There are a lot of things that can go wrong when you are trying to buy a home, as you have found! If you really must have THIS home, then you are going to have to wait until the old lady is good and ready. That is the reality of it. Good luck! As zulu says, you can state that you are withdrawing your offer unless she signs ASAP and then if she is faced with the possibility of NO offer, she might sign instead of have to find another buyer.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
There is no contract because the other party has not signed. You could possibly take the owner to small claims court to recoup the cost of the inspector's report, provided the owner never signs the contract. Otherwise I don't think there is much else you can do. IMO forget about trying to force this old lady out of her home prematurely to meet your timeline of not wanting to sign another lease. She does not owe you any timeframe at all according to the contract you described, especially since she never signed it at all. Get a real lawyer in the future. Also, it sounds like you are a first-time home buyer, so be prepared for plenty of aggravation and maybe more lost opportunities that you thought would go through. There are a lot of things that can go wrong when you are trying to buy a home, as you have found! If you really must have THIS home, then you are going to have to wait until the old lady is good and ready. That is the reality of it. Good luck!
Spot on.... I can speak from my personal experience this year !!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Seller doesent HAVE to sell to you without a contract(even with one many have wiggle room so they can still decline but they may owe a commission to the RE), its a buyers market, but its still her house as I understand it.

Wheres Tom Moser?

Crooks

Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Seller's attorney drafts the proposed contract to Buyer's attorney. Buyer's attorney returns it signed (with possible changes) along with the earnest money check. If Seller decides not to sign - it's Seller's prerogative. Of course you should get your check back (if one was sent along with the partially signed contract).

The only person who MIGHT have a claim here is the selling agent who apparently brought a willing and able buyer to the table and now stands to lose his/her compensation...

Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Seller's attorney drafts the proposed contract to Buyer's attorney. Buyer's attorney returns it signed (with possible changes) along with the earnest money check. If Seller decides not to sign - it's Seller's prerogative. Of course you should get your check back (if one was sent along with the partially signed contract).

The only person who MIGHT have a claim here is the selling agent who apparently brought a willing and able buyer to the table and now stands to lose his/her compensation...

Thanks Elke !

Crooks

Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 19,291 times
Thanks. What about the money spent for the inspection and other stuff. Is there a claim for this?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:37 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer5 View Post
Thanks. What about the money spent for the inspection and other stuff. Is there a claim for this?

Possibly for the inspection - your attorney should advise you on this. I'm assuming you had the inspection done after you had an accepted offer but before you received the contract?
I don't know what "other stuff" you're referring to?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 AM

61 posts, read 223,021 times
Default Happened to us twice already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Possibly for the inspection - your attorney should advise you on this.
I don't know what "other stuff" you're referring to?
We had a similar situation happen on back-to-back homes. Each one had an accepted offer and we paid for an inspection for each one as well. We signed the contract and sent the check on the first, only to have it returned and the house pulled from the market (no explanation); the second one stalled us a weekend on getting the contract out to us and then came back suggesting that a higher offer came in. It was enough aggravation to get a guy to start smoking again (literally), and as much as I wanted to try and get our inspection $ back, moving on was the best option. We're now in contract on a third... so far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: