Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,450 times

Advertisements

I am making the switch for a few reasons, the most important to me is I am sick of not getting the NFL Network. The HGTV and Food Net don't really impact me but it is typical of anything owned by the Dolans. Just like they made Yankee fans miss an entire season of YES a few years back. I am also cancelling Newsday Monday AM. I have spoken to people who have gone to Fios and they are all happy. From what I can calculate, I will be paying less for more.

I will save about $80/month for the first year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 05:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
We had a Cablevision rep come to our house trying to get us to switch over. We've only had Fios since we moved in since last July, and my husband isn't too happy with its quality. The programs freeze a lot and seems to skip. He keeps saying Fios stinks for this reason. I told him there's a reason why a Cablevision rep is walking around trying to sell it--they're losing more and more customers. I said that isn't a good sign.

I'm hoping our picture quality is just because something is wrong with the wires coming into our house or something. He also wishes that we got MSNBC. I keep telling him Cablevision really isn't that good.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
It's that darned MSNBC that makes me think twice about FIOS.
However, we do watch HGTV & Food network more than MSNBC, so maybe we have to switch.

What I have not found in the Verizon Terms & Conditions is what happens if I move, especially if I move to a place that does not have FIOS. Do I still pay termination fee? I did notice thier current Bundle T&C's say ONE year, not two.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 47,797 times
I was an Optimum customer for a long time but after paying $150 for the Triple Play + DVR for a few years I figured I'd try to get the price down. Cablevision wouldn't play with me so I went to FiOS. So far (got it on Dec 4th) the service is amazing. The pricing blew Cablevision away (at the time). I got the FiOS triple play (with FiOS digital voice - their VOIP product, so no copper phone line) and my bottom line should be under $60/month for the first 3 months, then I think around $80/month when I start paying for the DVR. Lots of up-front credits (not counting the $150 Visa card promo). My 1st bill was > $200 (pro-rated for an extra 2 weeks) but after calling the sales rep it got knocked down to $42. Price is locked for 24 months ($89/month - the first 12 months have tons of extra promo pricing thrown in and credits) but the contract is for 12 months. The internet speed blows Cablevision away, even with Boost - CV gave me Boost for free when I was about to cancel. "Vanilla" Optimum gave me ~12 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up. Boost gave me 25 Mbps down, 5 mbps up. Fios gives me me this consistently (just tested againnow):

Verizon Fios-speedtest2.png

The settop box is way better then the Cablevision Scientific Atlanta box, which was slow to change channels, etc. The Motorola box you get from Verizon is great, and the Home Media DVR thing is nice.

HOWEVER, 2 weeks after I got FiOS, Cablevision called me up and offered me the Triple Play if I came back for $69.99/month, price lock for 24 months, NO CONTRACT, with Boost & DVR free for the first 12 months. I was tempted but I hadn't received a FiOS bill yet. Cablevision also offered to pay the FiOS cancellation fee, up to $200. We'll see if I made the right choice sticking with Verizon. Since my wife loves HGTV, right now it seems like I did. Servicewise though, it is better than Cablevision on the TV & Internet side, the phone is comparable but I hate the 10-digit dialing even for 516 - but with Fios Digital Voice you can have your VM emailed to you just like with Optimum Voice, which is the 1 feature I wanted. In the end I'll go with whichever one's cheapest since the services are so comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I am a Cablevision triple play subscriber that is very annoyed with the dropping of the Food Network and HGTV (my 2 favorite channels). I am seriously considering switching to the Verizon Fios triple play if the channels are not restored.

My only concern is that I have heard a few negatives to Fios:

1. Internet is considerably slower than Optimum online

2. Bills are never the same with a lot of "nickle and diming"

3. Subsription prices skyrocket once the introductory offer ends (with DVR feature being quite expensive).

4. Long contracts with high terminiation fees are mandatory

I would like get some opinions from people that switched to Fios from Cablevision to see what you think before I call Fios. I am mostly concerned with the idea of slow internet (and possibly having to change my home phone number).
-Thanks

Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 PM

13 posts, read 47,797 times
Also, Verizon was able to port over my Optimum Voice number, but I had to call the sales rep to discover that (website said it couldn't be ported). Also, the speed above is with the 25/15 Internet package. I usually get 26 Mbps down and 18-22 Mbps up. Ports 443 and 80 are open to the world you can run a webserver from your house.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Another plus, is with Verizon you can trouble shoot and fix many common issues from your internet account home. They have an "auto-fix" option that takes care of common glitches and such with the tv boxes.
Stuff that you would normally have to get on the phone with someone and have a tech come out, you can do in minutes from your computer. I don't believe Cable has this. I think it's a cool feature, because I hate phones, and I hate talking to people on phones.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:24 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Then what do you do for internet service? I don't want to go to some crappy dialup and isn't that all there is on Long Island unless you have Cablevision or Verizon?
Dish network just like Direct tv have their own version of high speed service,not dial up.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
We had a Cablevision rep come to our house trying to get us to switch over. We've only had Fios since we moved in since last July, and my husband isn't too happy with its quality. The programs freeze a lot and seems to skip. He keeps saying Fios stinks for this reason. I told him there's a reason why a Cablevision rep is walking around trying to sell it--they're losing more and more customers. I said that isn't a good sign.

I'm hoping our picture quality is just because something is wrong with the wires coming into our house or something. He also wishes that we got MSNBC. I keep telling him Cablevision really isn't that good.
I have FIOS, the one thing I miss about Cablevision is MSNBC, however overall I do like Verizon a bit better, but the costs do add up very quickly, especially with the $35 HBO/Cinemax package.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Forgot to mention as pp did, Federal Law allows you to port your phone number.

Verizon charges for 411 service, which is really one of those "little things" that just gets under my skin.
1(800)GOOG411

That's the number to get free information via Google. I've used it on my Verizon phone as well as cell phones. One note: it is for business numbers/Yellow page type directory assistance.

Also, someone who is handicapped can qualify for free Verizon directory assistance, but there are certain restrictions.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:37 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I am making the switch for a few reasons, the most important to me is I am sick of not getting the NFL Network. The HGTV and Food Net don't really impact me but it is typical of anything owned by the Dolans. Just like they made Yankee fans miss an entire season of YES a few years back. I am also cancelling Newsday Monday AM. I have spoken to people who have gone to Fios and they are all happy. From what I can calculate, I will be paying less for more.

I will save about $80/month for the first year.
so you think...until the hidden fees kick in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island