Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 04:23 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,490,814 times

Advertisements

Just stating a fact so don't get all excited.

Searingtown is very Jewish or once was. It is probably half Jewish and half Asian now. Other Jewish areas in the Herricks area are: Manhasset Hills, Roslyn, Albertson, North Hills and the East Hills. New Hyde Park had many Jews once upon a time, but they have been displaced by Asian Indians. I suppose the best way to judge if an area has a large Jewish population is by observing how many synagogues are in the area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:51 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,672,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post

Searingtown is very Jewish or once was. It is probably half Jewish and half Asian now. Other Jewish areas in the Herricks area are: Manhasset Hills, Roslyn, Albertson, North Hills and the East Hills. New Hyde Park had many Jews once upon a time, but they have been displaced by Asian Indians. I suppose the best way to judge if an area has a large Jewish population is by observing how many synagogues are in the area.
All of this is the legacy of the kind of ethnic steering that realtors used to do out here.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,660,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post

Hold on to your hats, baby. All those Jewish areas with top schools will look like Flushing North soon...

Old 07-16-2007, 01:22 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,490,814 times
There definitely is a pattern, but is it due to "steering" or just a continuation of the type of ethnic neighborhoods people left in Brooklyn and Queens. There is nothing wrong with people of similar racial, ethnic or religious backgrounds grouping together in close proximity. Actually, it wouldn't make sense if they didn't.

Assimilation, at least among white ethnic groups, is pretty far along. Many whites under the age are now a mix of various ethnicities: Italian, Irish, German, Jewish and whatever else. So who knows what will happen in the future.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 AM

49 posts, read 211,253 times
Hey Joe, not to ruin your day but I think there is a large temple being constructed in Mattituck and I heard Mar1lyn may be moving there. Theres plenty of fresh air for both of you. You see why the killings go on. Its always about religious wars. Nobody is saying you have to like each other but a little respect for each other may go a long way.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:53 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,682,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Perhaps you were unaware...it's 2007. That liberal, are you an Indian crap is nonsense. America in 2007 is not the same place we liberated from the Indians. Hence, there should be a different set of standards. Places like Great Neck, while not my favorite, have an establised look and feel about them and a way of doing things. People who have been there for years have every right to complain when they perceive the area to be going to hell. Like it or not, what Joe rants about, while sometimes a little wild, is often times relatively on point. Sure he's bitter, but he has every right to be.

Have you been to, say, Williamsburg Brooklyn? Hasidics, and perhaps Persians, like to take over a place and shut all the outsiders out. 5 Towns is not getting slammed with people that give 2 craps about the schools since all their brood go to Hebrew school. A liberal like yourself should also have problems with that sort of behaivor, too, I would think since it doesn't seem to ring the kumbaya bell and leaves little for the community not in their little circle.

I don't live there, but I know a couple poeple that do and they echo similar feelings as Joe. The Queensification (and I lived in Queens all my life until not too long ago) is starting to spread and it's not good. Hence my moving to GC...like Joe said, I don't think a lot of that crap will fly here.
You can run but you cant hide in GC.

The Queensification of LI knows no tax maps when Money rules the roost.

I agree they do have a right to be upset.
Cant fight the tide though.

Flushing was Irish Catholic once, as was Bayside.

C

Old 07-25-2007, 09:35 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,527,711 times
Note: off-topic rant...

I was raised Catholic, but am ashamed to say so...thanks to the child abuse scandal by the priests of that organization...and even worse...the Vatican's response (or should I say the Vatican's tolerance?) to it!

I refuse to support any organization that would tolerate such abuse...if it were a business (and I'm not sure it's not)...it would be OUT OF BUSINESS! Figure for every dollar going in the basket...probably 80 cents of it is going to pay off some lawsuit, insure against future lawsuits, or provide a place for these abusers to happily live out their days. I know it's not EVERY priest...but zero-tolerance must start at the top...and it hasn't. Look at LA...508 abused people are being paid a sum of $660 million(!) for the abuse cause by 220 clerics! And for the victims, their lives are ruined forever, no matter what they are 'compensated'.

I fully believe in God, but no longer need the Catholic Church to do so. Growing up on LI...I thought the whole world was as Catholic as Long Island is...trust me...it's not.

Now back to your regaularly scheduled program...

Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,682,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Note: off-topic rant...

I was raised Catholic, but am ashamed to say so...thanks to the child abuse scandal by the priests of that organization...and even worse...the Vatican's response (or should I say the Vatican's tolerance?) to it!

I refuse to support any organization that would tolerate such abuse...if it were a business (and I'm not sure it's not)...it would be OUT OF BUSINESS! Figure for every dollar going in the basket...probably 80 cents of it is going to pay off some lawsuit, insure against future lawsuits, or provide a place for these abusers to happily live out their days. I know it's not EVERY priest...but zero-tolerance must start at the top...and it hasn't. Look at LA...508 abused people are being paid a sum of $660 million(!) for the abuse cause by 220 clerics! And for the victims, their lives are ruined forever, no matter what they are 'compensated'.

I fully believe in God, but no longer need the Catholic Church to do so. Growing up on LI...I thought the whole world was as Catholic as Long Island is...trust me...it's not.

Now back to your regaularly scheduled program...
Amen Brother.
C

Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 PM

127 posts, read 521,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I do like my whitebread garden city world, but that doesn't mean I dislike all others. Sorry to disappoint you. Unfortunately, during my years in Queens, to my lifeguarding jobs for 7 summers in Forest Hills, to my 4 years in Albany for college, to my current position...I know many people that seem to be (as far as I know from this board) of your ilk. Enjoy your life being the victim.

Of course you're superior. You live in Garden City. It's predominantly Christian, mainly Irish Roman Catholics. You're Catholic. And definitely Irish. And if you and your neighbors send your children to Catholic schools, that's somehow okay -- but it's not okay for those in predominantly Jewish areas to send their children to Jewish (or "Hebrew," as you called them in an earlier post upthread) schools.

Go grab a cold one and watch the game.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,770,594 times
Here in NorthWestern Suffolk County we have a very diverse religious population. Where I live in East Northport, Saint Anthony's parish is huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island