Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times

Advertisements

Wondering, does the North Shore predominantly consist of people of the Jewish faith?

Any North shore towns mixed religion wise or have a Catholic population? I have heard more Suffolk North SHore is mixed or Catholic, while most North SHore Nassau towns are Jewish.

Any truth in this or am I misinformed? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,529 times
I think if you were to use a broad brush, you are correct in drawing that line. But, it is really hard to tell these days. The "line" may be a bit old school, but I am sure you will get a lot of replies from folks in Great Neck, Manhasset, Roslyn (Nassau).

Old 05-23-2007, 09:44 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times
The Manhasset area is not really "Jewish." Glen Cove and Oyster Bay are mostly Catholic. Syosset, Roslyn, Jericho, Woodbury, and Great Neck are mostly Jewish. The estate areas like Old Westbury and Muttontown are not predominantly Jewish. If you consider East Williston North Shore, it's not Jewish, but Albertson is.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:26 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
The Manhasset area is not really "Jewish." Glen Cove and Oyster Bay are mostly Catholic. Syosset, Roslyn, Jericho, Woodbury, and Great Neck are mostly Jewish. The estate areas like Old Westbury and Muttontown are not predominantly Jewish. If you consider East Williston North Shore, it's not Jewish, but Albertson is.
I know about Manhasset, but its out of our price range where we like. I am surprised to see you wrote that estate areas are not mostly Jewish. East Williston we really like, but properties are a bit small and there isnt much of it (the size of the village).

I have always seen or heard in my experience that Syosset and Port W are mixed with Catholic and Jewish. I am wondering if I am wrong?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:53 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times
I think Pt. Washington is pretty mixed.

I think most of the estates are protestant-types, mixed with Catholic. Sure, there almost have to be Jewish people in a wealthy NY area, but they do not "set the tone" like they do in Great Neck, etc.

That's just my opinion.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 PM

216 posts, read 829,347 times
GC Guy ---

Be careful with the stereotypes you use. It can be offensive.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 PM

491 posts, read 828,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bhere View Post
Wondering, does the North Shore predominantly consist of people of the Jewish faith?

Any North shore towns mixed religion wise or have a Catholic population? I have heard more Suffolk North SHore is mixed or Catholic, while most North SHore Nassau towns are Jewish.

Any truth in this or am I misinformed? Thanks
Ahhh its still mixed --- but more like Nitrogen oxide, Hydrogen and Hydrazine (fuel in the Apollo luner lander)

All kinds of Jewish ( I didnt know there were so many) and they wage spats with each other. Also Muslim, Paki due ALL thanks to North Shore University Hospital.

Great Neck was (and I say WAS) neighborhood of mostly easy to get along with reformed Jew's around a hospital system.
Now it’s all mixed Mid Eastern people, with big $$.

If you go out on Manhasset bay in a boat the Great Neck shore now looks like a metropolis off the Kārūn riveri (Iran).
These people bought $$ the town politicians and are spilling there "New Iran" sh*t into Manhasset
-- Why I got the hell out.

-Joe

Last edited by Keeper; 03-19-2008 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: name change

Old 07-03-2007, 05:42 PM

216 posts, read 829,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Ahhh its still mixed --- but more like Nitrogen oxide, Hydrogen and Hydrazine (fuel in the Apollo luner lander)

All kinds of Jewish ( I didnt know there were so many) and they wage spats with each other. Also Muslim, Paki due ALL thanks to North Shore University Hospital.

Great Neck was (and I say WAS) neighborhood of mostly easy to get along with reformed Jew's around a hospital system.
Now it’s all mixed Mid Eastern people, with big $$.

If you go out on Manhasset bay in a boat the Great Neck shore now looks like a metropolis off the Kārūn riveri (Iran).
These people bought $$ the town politicians and are spilling there "New Iran" sh*t into Manhasset
-- Why I got the hell out.

-Joe

Joe, as a mature jewish woman who has lived in great neck for almost 30 yrs, let me tell you how you are coming across.

You are very ANTI-SEMITIC, not to mention ignorant. I don't really care much about what you think, but to not comment on it is to perpetuate it.

You comment on things you apparently know little to nothing about. Let me set you straight.

Yes, Great Neck has long been a largely jewish community. THe reasons for this are that jewish folks, like all other religious and ethnic groups, tend to live in proximity to others of the same faith. As far as "so many kinds" of jews, there is one kind. JEWISH. There are, however, many different levels of observance within the religion. There is liberal reform, reform, reconstructionist, conservative, conservadox, orthodox, hassidish. There are others, but you get the idea. Each one has different customs and levels of observance. The peninsula is indeed changing. It's evolving, like many other areas. We have had a huge influx of Iranian jews. I am friends with some. They are like everyone else, mostly law abiding pleasant folks. They've brought some new ethnic eateries and places of worship and their culture is widespread. It's an evolution. Just look at Queens. It's largely asian now. That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different that it was.

I grew up in the bronx. It was beautiful when I was living there. Now it's high crime and bombed out, although it's being rebuilt nicely. This is how life goes on.

Jews have always been customarily very involved and strong proponents of good education. Perhaps thats why GN schools are as good as they are. My kids did very well there. Both ended up in Ivy League universities. I don't know if than would have occurred in a school district such as, say, hicksville, or elmont, or others. Get it? We paid more and saved less income for the sake of our kids' futures and we don't regret any of it.

Along with the priority towards good education is the fact that many jewish people will sacrifice, and pay more for housing and everything else to ensure that their kids get the best opportunities. Hey, maybe that's why GN is so expensive? Lots of people want to live there,so the prices go up. Supply and demand.

Your comments about "new iran s*it" is deplorable. I have Iranian neighbors, Korean neighbors, black neighbors on my block. We all get along very well.
Personally, I'm glad you "got out" of manhasset. I don't want to breathe the same air as you.

Your ignorance is alarming.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 PM

491 posts, read 828,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar1lyn27 View Post
We have had a huge influx of Iranian jews. I am friends with some. They are like everyone else, mostly law abiding pleasant folks. They've brought some new ethnic eateries and places of worship and their culture is widespread. It's an evolution. .
Yeah right, they destroyed your town. The only reason you get along / defend is because you are both Jewish.

Quote:
Jews have always been customarily very involved and strong proponents of good education. Perhaps thats why GN schools are as good as they are.
One primary reason Great Neck schools have such high raitings is because no teacher dare fail a student and be put in thumbscrews with a lawsuite.
Great Neck parents sue the schools when little Rachel gets a failing grade for tapping on her Blackberry the whole school semester!
I know this for a fact !!

Quote:
Personally, I'm glad you "got out" of manhasset. I don't want to breathe the same air as you.
I’m sure you have no problems breathing. I’m glad im out and no longer have to be miserable, dodge getting hit by cars, mirrors busted off hit and run. Wake up every morning to the sound of trees being cut and ground across the water to make way for ugly sand&stucco mid-eastern style building's
You people all drive like maniacs, especially those “off the boat” Iranian housewives, they, speed, hit and keep going in the rented Benz's
My new neighbors in Mattituck are the nicest people and love me. The were so scaired when they heard a guy from Great Neck Manhasset baught the house.
There is a reason for that ---Your post tells it all

PS: I think your the racist BTW

Last edited by Joe L; 07-03-2007 at 06:38 PM..

Old 07-04-2007, 08:01 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,366 times
Try looking into Williston Park or Mineola. Both had a strong Irish Catholic presence. Although I don't know if that is still as true today. If you are willing to look outside of the North Shore try Deer Park and North Babylon. Both areas have strong Catholic affiliations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island