Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Like dman, I'm a Giant fan that doesn't mind seeing the Jets do well since there's really no rivalry between the two teams. I'll be rooting for them on Saturday, but Sanzhez probably isn't ready (the thought of Sanchez starting a playoff game on the road has gamblers foaming at the mouth).

If the Jets had an experienced/quality QB they might have won 14 games this year.
They really should have brought in an old timer to tutor Sanchez and take over for him when things got ugly in the middle of the season. That was their biggest mistake this year. Clemens is actually more green than Sanchez, so there's no fall back position. Wasn't Mark Brunell or somebody like that out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
It's a shame that teams like Indy and Cincy laid down for the Jets the last two weeks. One, it gave the Jets a false sense of hope. Two, it kept my Steelers out of the playoffs and they could have done more damage than the Jets will. Then again, we have ourselves to blame more than anything.

Cincy showed the Jets NOTHING last week. They will throw the kitchen sink at Sanchez. They are going to crowd the line of scrimmage and stack up against the run. They'll force Sanchez into 3rd and Longs and it won't be pretty for him.

I think Cincy will go through even though I'm pulling for the Jets.
Cincy did not 'lay down'. They started everyone that was healthy but C Ben and they have won games without him this year. Yes, they may have paired back the playbook a little but I am sure the Jets werent running their normal offense for too long either, the game was over early in the 2nd quarter.

The Steelers blew any chance they had when they went into that 5 game dive and lost to some bad teams along the way. I do agree that the Steelers would have been dangerous if they got in.

As for the Jets, they have run the ball on everyone this year. Teams have been putting 8 in the box and daring Sanchez to throw and the run game was still successful - that is a serious offensive line. I am certain that Cincy will be tougher but the Jets will get their yards. Like you said, the key will be, can they keep Sanchez out of TOO MANY 3rd and long situations.

It's all gravy.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They really should have brought in an old timer to tutor Sanchez and take over for him when things got ugly in the middle of the season. That was their biggest mistake this year. Clemens is actually more green than Sanchez, so there's no fall back position. Wasn't Mark Brunell or somebody like that out there?
Not even to take over but for someone that had 'been there before' that could be in his ear the whole game. It would have helped his development tremendously.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Brunell is pretty much washed up at this point...but there's always vets out there you can get. Culpepper could have been an option. Hell, even David Carr would have gotten them 10-11 wins or more this year. It's usually best for the young QB to get as many snaps as possible...but then again, the NFL is a "win now" league for the most part these days - who knows if the Jets will be able to maintain their talent level on defense and the o-line going forward. It's an interesting debate....both sides of it have merit.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Brunell is pretty much washed up at this point...but there's always vets out there you can get. Culpepper could have been an option. Hell, even David Carr would have gotten them 10-11 wins or more this year. It's usually best for the young QB to get as many snaps as possible...but then again, the NFL is a "win now" league for the most part these days - who knows if the Jets will be able to maintain their talent level on defense and the o-line going forward. It's an interesting debate....both sides of it have merit.

Brunell is washed up but he has the experience to tutor someone like Sanchise, and even if he had started a few games when they needed to bench the rookie, he wouldn't have been worse than Sanchez and the Jets would basically have the same chance of winning.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Brunell is washed up but he has the experience to tutor someone like Sanchise, and even if he had started a few games when they needed to bench the rookie, he wouldn't have been worse than Sanchez and the Jets would basically have the same chance of winning.
I think the Jets saw how much success guys like Matt Ryan and Flacco had starting from day one last year (and even Big Ben a few years ago) and thought Sanzhez could pull it off as well.

The difference was that those guys started a ton of games in college while Sanchez was a starter only one year at USC.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I think the Jets saw how much success guys like Matt Ryan and Flacco had starting from day one last year (and even Big Ben a few years ago) and thought Sanzhez could pull it off as well.

The difference was that those guys started a ton of games in college while Sanchez was a starter only one year at USC.
..and Pete Caroll said that he wasn't ready.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 AM

74 posts, read 199,198 times
At least one NY team made it. And at least one NY team ended Giants Stadium on a good note....

Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
I think it's pretty funny that Steelers fans talk about how green Sanchez is - how soon they forget how far a rookie QB can go?! The Steelers didn't make the playoffs because they don't have a good enough team. The Jets made the playoffs because - hrm, let's see... #1 overall D in the entire NFL, #1 overall Passing D in the entire NFL, and #1 overall Rushing O in the entire NFL. They had these rankings before Indy/Cincy "laid down".

Regardless of the outcome Saturday (which I see as being a repeat of last week) - note Cincy has come down from a 4pt fav to a 2.5pt fav in the past few days - I believe the Jets should be very proud of the season they put together.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I think it's pretty funny that Steelers fans talk about how green Sanchez is - how soon they forget how far a rookie QB can go?! The Steelers didn't make the playoffs because they don't have a good enough team. The Jets made the playoffs because - hrm, let's see... #1 overall D in the entire NFL, #1 overall Passing D in the entire NFL, and #1 overall Rushing O in the entire NFL. They had these rankings before Indy/Cincy "laid down".

Regardless of the outcome Saturday (which I see as being a repeat of last week) - note Cincy has come down from a 4pt fav to a 2.5pt fav in the past few days - I believe the Jets should be very proud of the season they put together.
that's because everyone and their grandmother is betting the Bengals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island