Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently purchased a home which was built in 1971. The prior owners had the cesspool pumped in the beginning of November. We had a cesspool company come out this morning to help us locate it as we had no idea where it was. The company we called out was the company the previous owner used to pump it in November. The guy showed us the location and told us that when he pumped it in November, he emptied it (pumped 2,000 gallons) and was showing us the stack pipe which leads to the cesspool and we were actually able to see that the pool has lots of water in it. He said the previous owners were having it pumped at least once a year (older couple). He suggested we add on 1 precast cesspool to help the overflow of water.

My question is this, do you think it is wise to add on a precast cesspool to the cinderblock unit or would you install 2 new precast pools and have the cinderblock one filled with sand? Also, if you had 2 new precast cesspools installed, what was the cost? He quoted us $1800 to have 1 precast cesspool installed and attached to our old block pool. We are new to Suffolk which means new to cesspools and I hate the idea of them...if you can give any advice, I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:21 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,106 times
I would get rid of the cinderblock, it's dangerous, plain and simple. Those old cinderblock one have a tendency to cave in, usually right when you're standing over it. $1800 is a fair price to have a cesspool installed.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks so much for giving me your opinion. I agree with you regarding the cinderblock pool...it scares me that it may collapse. The cesspool guy we used didn't think it was necessary to replace it but the more i think about it, the more I get worried of a collapse, etc. Also when i think about it, i'm sure it's a mess to install a new cesspool so I feel I should have it all done at once (installing 2) rather than having to install another one later on down the road and rip up my property again....

I'd appreciate anyone elses opinion as well. Has anyone had a precast pool attached to their block cesspool?

Also, what type of shape is the property in after the company is done installing the new cesspools? Do you usually need to call a landscaper in to fix the appearance of the lawn?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 AM

88 posts, read 480,724 times
I doubt if there is any reason to replace the cinderbloock pool. When you hear talk of pools caving in they are pools built back in the 30's and 40's. A pool built in 1971 should be no worry at all. Plus you would be looking at $5,000 to $6,000 to put in two new pools, run new piping from the house to the pools, pump the old pool, fill the old with sand, and restore your lawn(which after all that will be history)Plus you will forever have to remember where all three pools are everytime you want to excavate for anything. I would go with the suggestion of the added overflow tank.

Another thing you can do, if you are pumping your laundry water into the cesspool is put in a seperate dry well just for the laundry, that will take alot of the stress off you cesspool system.

And a tip for the future from an old Suffolk county person. I buy a pound of bakers yeast each year and every few months flush some down the toilet. Not only does the live yeast help break down the solids but it also helps break down the greases that collect where the water meets the dirt. That is usually what does in a cesspool.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 PM

15 posts, read 42,162 times
I just re-routed my pipes to my neighbors basement. I hate my neighbor.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 AM

90 posts, read 296,232 times
First mistake is never fully pump down a block cesspool, this is when they are most prone to collapse. The water inside helps to hold the sides in place.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,106 times
Just get rid of the block pool. The thing is 40 years old and bound to fail eventually. I guarantee you'll be happier knowing that after replacing that pool every flush of the toilet will go down with no issues. Do a little web research on block vs. precast pools. The precast are steel reinforced and don't have the same inherent hazards associated with them as the block pools do.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 AM

75 posts, read 312,434 times
We paid $2200 for 2 new pools and about $400 to replace the pipe line from the house. (it was full of tree roots)

If you are going to do it - I suggest you do it all at once. It completely destroyed the grass.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 PM

64 posts, read 253,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoTakr View Post
I just re-routed my pipes to my neighbors basement. I hate my neighbor.
Hilarious! I chuckled out loud when I read it.

~~~~~~~~~

Definitely get rid of the concrete block tank. They are dangerous and prone to caving in. I was just reading about them this morning. For proof, you might go to this website and look at the photos. Norsic is a good firm. I will be calling them to help me expand my system for an addition i'm planning: Advisory

Old 02-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Actually since this posting, I had a video inspsection done and learned that I have 2 precast pools. Thank goodness I don't have block. Those are dangerous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island