Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 AM

76 posts, read 179,682 times

Advertisements

What about the fact that many people who live on LI work in Manhattan? You'd be hard-pressed to find the same density of high powered corporate jobs anywhere else in the country (as most major companies have HQ in NY). People are always moving here to work their way up the ladder.

Also, the vast majority of mid to high level financial services (a big industry) jobs are located here.

People who can just up and move because of some minor concern probably didn't have a very worthwhile reason for living on LI or in NYS in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,908,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgomom2010 View Post
I moved to Atlanta.. I miss NY desperatly, but do NOT miss paying $850/month for a basement studio apartment.. I do NOT miss digging my way out after it snows, scraping ice off of my car, and driving 10 mph to work praying the roads have been paved..I do NOT miss the high cost of food and car insurance. Things like that!! Those 'little' things that year after year make you INSANE!! I DO miss the food: delis, pizzerias, bakeries, diners. Good drivers!! Who drive the speed limit and actually indicate. The cops who don't pull you over for ridiculous things like a 'dangerous left turn', and other petty crap. And of course, the ocean.. I do miss the ocean. But, no place is perfect!
This is an example of a perfectly objective post. Want to see more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I moved back to Long Island in 2007 after 23 years in the D.C./northern Virginia area. Lots of people from the Island are down there now.

Alas, I can't say I'm really enjoying being back here. A lot has changed, and not necessarily in a good way.
Can you elaborate on why you left NoVA? I see a lot of plusses for the area... well except for the lack of beaches and perhaps food? Also, how is the lifestyle there different? Asking as someone who is thinking about moving there after being on the island 30 years.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 AM

152 posts, read 548,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
as most major companies have HQ in NY).

MOST?

Maybe in financial services, but other than that I think not. Even if a company has a major presence here, I would almost certainly guarantee that the company is domiciled elsewhere, there's absolutely no benefit to being domiciled in NY.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,343,564 times
Does anyone really wonder what kind of people are moving out and what kind are moving in ? That to me is more relevant than absolute numbers. NYC has always been a hub of immigrants.
If hardworking middle class people who have lived here for most of their lives are leaving, then I would be worried, because no one would want to leave the place they grew up and its always the last option. I don't think we can say that this has been happening all the time in NY. If the incoming headcount is mostly unskilled labor force, thats a reason to worry too.... just using simple Maths to say 1.7 million left but 2.0 million came in hence population growth does not make sense to me.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,350,288 times
Everyone is leaving yet we're still sitting in traffic.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,343,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Everyone is leaving yet we're still sitting in traffic.
Traffic is not going away. As people become poorer, they move further than the city... which translates to more people on the road ! So 15 years from now (if you are still here) you will think about today's traffic and tell your kids that traffic was manageable 15 yrs ago... .... unless there is a seisimic shift and long island touches jersey or CT....

Old 01-19-2010, 05:04 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,520,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobeach View Post
Ok,,The Numbers don't lie, 1,700,000.00 People have left NY in the last 10 years, These are stistics printed by Fobes, Artical "City's People are NOT Relocating to" So my Question is Many folks are considering going still, My Question, WERE'S Everyone Going? Were going to SWF! As soon as we sell,,were gone!
Does that mean New York State? New York City? Does it mean 1.7 million people LEFT but also xx people moved in? Most importantly, WTF does this have to do with LI?

I'm betting those figures are for the State of New York....not the city, obviously not Nassau or Suffolk.

If census estimates from the last few years are at all accurate, LI's population has stayed the same over the last 10 years (minor loss in Nassau, minor gain in Suffolk).

Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 PM

95 posts, read 244,086 times
We have had a huge influx of people from the tri-state area to Charlotte, NC and the surrounding areas. As a former NYer, I moved down with a job transfer. In the past 3 years, Charlotte has also seen a huge influx of Corporate Headquarters such as Tiaa-Cref, Michelin, BWM, rubbermaid and other companies relocating thousands of employees into the area AND maintaining the NY salaries.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 AM

20,154 posts, read 20,945,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbury84 View Post
We have had a huge influx of people from the tri-state area to Charlotte, NC and the surrounding areas. As a former NYer, I moved down with a job transfer. In the past 3 years, Charlotte has also seen a huge influx of Corporate Headquarters such as Tiaa-Cref, Michelin, BWM, rubbermaid and other companies relocating thousands of employees into the area AND maintaining the NY salaries.
So then it's safe to say NC is truly headed for the crapper?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,407,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
MOST?

Maybe in financial services, but other than that I think not. Even if a company has a major presence here, I would almost certainly guarantee that the company is domiciled elsewhere, there's absolutely no benefit to being domiciled in NY.
Actually a lot of financial services are headquartered in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island