Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:11 PM

120 posts, read 216,925 times

Advertisements

Selden Woman Indicted In Animal Torture Case

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (WPIX) - A woman who kept a makeshift pet cemetery that housed 42 animal corpses in her Selden backyard has been indicted on animal cruelty and child endangerment.

http://www.wpix.com/news/local/wpix-...,2643725.story

Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 AM

316 posts, read 989,308 times
She should be 'put down' and buried in her backyard.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:34 PM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
She should be tortured the way that she tortured those animals. I can't stand people who do these heinous acts or animals or children. Shame on her! She should see what it feels like.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 PM

88 posts, read 480,724 times
The child endangerment charges come from making her kids watch while she tortured the animals to death. I agree, she should be put down.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
She is a sick woman and needs help, not punishment. Her deeds, indeed heinous, do not rise to the level of punishment that would be equivalent to crimes against humans. Sorry, pet fanciers, animals are still only property.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Default She puts the SKEL in Skeldon, that's for sure!

She is a hideous beast. D.A. Thomas Spota gave more details in a Riverhead news conference and said, "We're talking about a mother who subjected her children to the most horrific ... living conditions I have ever seen."

Here are some details of what Spota said at the news conference:
  • Sharon McDonough's six daughters slept in their mother's bedroom because their rooms housed cages for the family's pets, which rarely were allowed outside, Spota said.
  • McDonough, 43, also beat her 1-year-old daughter for crying and duct-taped the mouth of one of her dogs for barking, Spota said.
  • McDonough's daughters, who range in age from 20 months to 13 years old, lived on a diet of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and macaroni and cheese, and were forced to use buckets to relieve themselves, Spota said. They were not allowed to take showers.
  • The earliest charges against McDonough date to June 2006, when she "strangled one of the dogs in the presence of her then-10-year-old daughter," Spota said.
  • In November, McDonough slammed a cat against a wall and wrapped it with duct tape before hanging it from the ladder of one of the girl's bunk beds until the cat suffocated, Spota told reporters.
  • When one of the children asked her why she abused the pets, she said, "It's my treat," Spota said.
It appears that now the authorities believe she did not force the kids to participate in the torture:
  • Spota said there was no evidence McDonough forced her children to torture animals. "Everything she did to these animals was done by her," he said.

We'll also never know how many cats she tortured and killed:
  • The SPCA found the carcasses of 42 dogs buried in McDonough's backyard, Spota said. Dead cats were thrown out in the trash, he said.

I hope that hideous ugly old fat cow is currently getting "her treat" from the guards and other inmates in jail, since she's such a piker and loser she can't even make the $100K bail.

I feel bad for those kids too and hope she never gets them back.

For those of you on here that will want to "excuse her because she's crazy" as her husband died, well, he died in 2008, and as per above, her cruelty dates back to at least 2006.

She is a piece of ripe excrement masquerading as a human being.

Another thing, that house needs to be burned down and the grounds sowed with salt. Who would want to live in that thing ever again?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 01-21-2010 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
She is a sick woman and needs help, not punishment. Her deeds, indeed heinous, do not rise to the level of punishment that would be equivalent to crimes against humans. Sorry, pet fanciers, animals are still only property.
How do you propose to help someone who considers torturing and killing animals "her treat?" I'd really love to know how to "fix" that with treatment. In some cases, punishment is all there is. Or maybe we should just skip punishment and give all criminals "treatment" instead. Let me know how that works out!

The bolded part of your quote makes perfect sense as a way to condone animal cruelty!

If something's only property, then who cares if it is a sentient being! That's right, you can do anything you want to it to make it suffer an agonizing death. I remember back when women were considered property (and they still are in some cultures). In our culture, did you know that the term "rule of thumb" corresponds to a rule that a man could beat his wife with a stick no larger than the circumference of a thumb? Back in slavery days, yes, men and women and children were all property and the masters could treat them anyway they wanted. If the master chose to give a slave medical treatment (and they could choose to or not), they took them to the veterinarian, not the human doctor. Yes, that was definitely one of the worst points in our history, but it was all OKAY because slaves were "still only property," right?

What a great concept for humanity you have stumbled upon! If a living, feeling, breathing being is OWNED you can abuse it all you like.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
You have every right to emote about your pets or animals but the law is the law. Animals are still only property.

She can be helped. Punishment will do nothing to improve her mental stability. I hope that she gets adequate help. I'm sure we all can pray for her too.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Sorry, but "help" isn't going to cut it. Her abuse of animals is sociopathic behavior. Sociopaths have no regard for any life other than their own, they believe that the rules of society don't apply to them, they are notoriously resistant to treatment because they don't think they're doing anything wrong--indeed, they are "entitled" to do what they do because they are "special"--and it has been proven over and over again that abusing animals is directly related to abusing humans. Already, she has abused her children. She has killed animals. Would you like to wait until she kills one of her kids?

Her children should be taken away from her, and she should rot in jail for a dog's lifetime.

Last edited by Yzette; 01-21-2010 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Because I'm a liberal and this annoyed even me.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
You have every right to emote about your pets or animals but the law is the law. Animals are still only property.

She can be helped. Punishment will do nothing to improve her mental stability. I hope that she gets adequate help. I'm sure we all can pray for her too.
HOW could she possibly be helped?

Ever hear of a sociopath, as Avienne wrote above? They cannot be "helped." They can only be imprisoned to prevent them from committing more crimes.

I pray for her. I pray that when she gets to HELL there is a special blue corner of it just for her where she will be tortured and mutilated over and over again forever like she did to those animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island