Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
In many cases lane disciplaine is more important than speed as to preventing accidents, yet lane discipline is totally ignored in many states including NY/LI.
Speed is easier to scapegoat and point a finger or write tickets for, yet with proper lane discipline, there would not have been any accident.
Europe enforces a high awareness on lane discipline.

I'm currently in a US state on business where the highways are posted 75 and single lane back roads 70mph, very very few accidents even though many of the trucks are doubles and triples much longer than you have in NY.

Really, anyone in the USA can just go out and drive on high speed highways whether they have any experience or just passed parallel parking yesterday. Realistically that won't change but experience and awareness is important to proper driving.

Too many people just think it's them on the road and the entire world will stop for them.
A gas truck fully laden is bearing down on a vehicle which has begun having trouble.

This isn't about lane discipline as much as it is being aware of one's surroundings on the part of both drivers. The driver of the Neon should have begun to pull to the shoulder as soon as the trouble started. The driver of the truck should have noticed that he was getting closer and closer to the Neon and taken some measure to slow down (and if possible) change lanes.

DOT will pull over trucks and inspect them on the spot finding deficiencies and problems and ordering the vehicle off the road until the needed repair is facilitated.

I am betting that something was wrong with the truck (mediocre brakes?) and the driver was distracted (cell phone, texting) as well as possibly dealing with sun glare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
70 MPH with a 5' spacing between cars is a recipe for disaster, wherever you are.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
I'm just wondering if the truck driver was just barreling along at an excessive rate of speed and began tailgating this woman while yelling out loud in the cab of his truck to himself "Are you kidding me?!!! what the hell are you doing moron get out of my way!! holy *bleep* you *bleep-ing* idiot!!!" and then...blam!!!
Road rage. Gotta love it.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm just wondering if the truck driver was just barreling along at an excessive rate of speed and began tailgating this woman while yelling out loud in the cab of his truck to himself "Are you kidding me?!!! what the hell are you doing moron get out of my way!! holy *bleep* you *bleep-ing* idiot!!!" and then...blam!!!
Road rage. Gotta love it.
I tend to agree with you, I know the real story might be different, but this is so normal on LIE.... Its just the way of life on Long Island, I know we are all expert drivers and we can put on the indicator and change the lane to get into a wedge in a quarter of a sec, but its a nightmare for the newbie, one who just started to drive.... no one gives way to a person wanting to change a lane, in fact I see the opposite.... as soon as you see someone who wants to change a lane, I see cars speed up to make sure they can't with a "let the guy behind me worry about it" attitude.... ** shaking my head ** ridiculous !!

The best entertainment (or nightmare) is entering one of those tunnels in NYC at peak hour... LOL that will knock a few years from your life if you do it everyday.

So many times I've seen people tailgate me while I'm doing 65 mph on the right most lane on LIE.... ultimately they change lanes to overtake me, or they have to slow down as their exit is coming up soon, but WTF !!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM

15 posts, read 42,196 times
How many of us have ever been tailgated by these big rigs? I know I have, and they actually tend to get closer than regular passenger cars. They use their size to intimidate you into moving over. I don't move, and I slow down usually. Sometimes I'll even brake. I heard once that these drivers don't like to brake, because it causes them to have to downshift the truck.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 AM

85 posts, read 233,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Dodge Neon = please recycle me at the nearest junkyard ASAP before I blow up in your face.
speaking of which, i don't know about you, but almost everytime i see a Neon the paint has been partially peeled off. What is that about?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
I wouldn't be braking in front of a big rig unless you have a death wish. Perhaps just slowing down enough to make him downshift will get the point across..but braking???...good way to go up in a fireball.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Spice View Post
speaking of which, i don't know about you, but almost everytime i see a Neon the paint has been partially peeled off. What is that about?
They all move so fast that the paint starts to peel off at that velocity !

Old 01-25-2010, 03:18 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Dodge Neon, I think the paint rejects the car, as much as all the rest of the parts on that car do the same.

And as far as barreling down the road, I'm not a truck driver although I do have a "grandfathered" CDL license to drive one, but I would tend to do the same "outamyway".

Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,792 times
I understand what someone had said earlier about the LIE being a low speed limit road compared to many other interstates. However, lets look at Texas for example. In many spots in TX the speed limit is 85. However, the roads are flat, at the same grade, and the number of cars on the road are FAR fewer than on the LIE. The LIE is packed with some of the most aggressive drivers in the country, has a bunch of bends, uphills, downhills, limited sight distance areas, etc. I have to say though, I'm guilty of usually cruising at about 75. Things like this make you really think twice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island