Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
And no one has missed you since 2000.
I'm beginning to see why your posts have been read ten times as often as mine, but you have a lower rep.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
How about cutting off upstate NY and making them their own state. Long island and the city would remain NY. Upstate shows no resemblance to either areas and looks alot more like Vermont,and NH. We wouldn't have to share all the money with those areas which would help long islanders especially.
I would definitely be all for something like this but it will never, ever, never never never happen. Even if it did, I don't think LI would benefit from it too much. NYC will always be what it is and anything surrounding it will always be what it is. I don't believe legal boundaries will change that too much. It'll just end being extra dotted lines on a map.
I think being an incorporated village may have more benefits than cutting ourselves off from the state in whatever capacity it may be.
This governed at large crap by townships sucks, you are totally at the mercy of the bigger fish.
Inc villages have a little more control and say over their community.
You can pick and choose whatever services you want to retain from the county and in theory, because it doesn't always work out exactly like planned, you can reduce taxes a bit. I don't think you'd save much if any on the school portion though.

If we all joined together(which in itself would be a feat of biblical proportions)and unanimously decided to pursue LI state, we very simply would not be allowed to. The bigger fish just wont allow it.

I think it's torches and pitchforks time at the steps of the county building.
This is just totally getting out of control with these lying, theiving bastids.
Really, enough is enough.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Obama should close down Butner, NC and build a Federal prison out east of Long Island to transfer current and accommodate future Wall St. criminals.

As an addition to wine tasting tours or other tourist attractions, you could take a ferry ($10 per passenger, kids upto 3 yrs ride free) from Hamptons/Riverhead to take a tour of the prison. You can also choose a prisoner of your choice to slap in the face for a nominal $5 per slap.
You can then purchase your slapping photo souvenir for an additional $15.00 (including tax)

Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
I think a prison for fat cat municipal union leaders would be more appropriate.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
I think a prison for fat cat municipal union leaders would be more appropriate.

Right, because GOP/talk radio faithful like you aren't too quick to criticize anyone on Wall St or who works for a bank who rips anyone off or milks the system, but a municipal union leader is a crook. Limbaugh has taught you well.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 PM

416 posts, read 698,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Right, because GOP/talk radio faithful like you aren't too quick to criticize anyone on Wall St or who works for a bank who rips anyone off or milks the system, but a municipal union leader is a crook. Limbaugh has taught you well.
Criminals are criminals no matter what, but the union leaders have more of a direct effect on us. Again, this isn't democrat vs. republican, your blinders are ridiculous!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:57 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Actually never listened to Rush.

Sorry you don't understand the financial industry but everyone doesn't want to be a joe sixpack. You know the type...quit school because he wanted to make his 10 bills an hour in construction. Now he is stuck with a wife, that bleach blonde from the 1970s who Jenny Craig couldn't help anymore, and he thinks anyone who works in the financial sector is the cause of his problem.

Problem is..joe sixpack is just jealous.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Criminals are criminals no matter what, but the union leaders have more of a direct effect on us. Again, this isn't democrat vs. republican, your blinders are ridiculous!
Look at the guy I'm responding to and try to show 1 iota of objectivity yourself, bud. A GOP hack attribute is the inability to ever see anything wrong with someone on Wall St or in a bank getting rich regardless of how they get it, while at the same time screaming about how unethical Union bosses are.

The banks just fleeced everyone out of how many billion, yet you aren't allowed to tell them to not give their hot shots bonuses this year... ..but the union bosses have more direct effect on us...talk about having a narrow view of the world, how is handing out free money to banks not going to have a direct effect on you?

Are you FDNY? Guess who Mr. GOP GPSMA is referring to when putting down Joe Sixpack and the union boss?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Actually never listened to Rush.

Sorry you don't understand the financial industry but everyone doesn't want to be a joe sixpack. You know the type...quit school because he wanted to make his 10 bills an hour in construction. Now he is stuck with a wife, that bleach blonde from the 1970s who Jenny Craig couldn't help anymore, and he thinks anyone who works in the financial sector is the cause of his problem.

Problem is..joe sixpack is just jealous.

I'm sure you don't frequent any right wing talk radio or blogs.

Yes, I "don't understand" the financial industry.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
I'm Joe 12 pack. Although my old lady still looks good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island