Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
The problem is that it is not "free". Either it will be paid for in tax dollars or it will be added to our debt.

You see..none of these programs are free. Cash for clunkers, auto bailouts, useless stimulus packages...they all cost money.

Even the promise of Obamacare is not free. We will have to pay for it through more taxes or more debt.

Nothing in life is free, no matter how well a politician sells it to you.
Well, it's not coming out of my personal income or taxes...so I don't know that I care at this moment.

No other president has helped me on a "personal" level the way that Obama has.

I also want to make note that all if not most of the social programs in place today were started by democrats. My dad is retired, he is getting social security and he relies on that money to make a living these days. My mom is still working but her money alone isn't really enough. Without SS (which was started by a democrat), I don't know what my father would have done. People are saying there wont be any money left for people of my generation when we are old enough for it...maybe/maybe not...but the thought process behind it was for all americans to receive it. (They didn't know how the financial situation of the country today and in the future would be when they proposed it).

Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Free money...where dat free money?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
That's one way to look at it. The other way is that $8K you got, artificially propped up the price you paid by $8K, and it was $8K less that could have been used to help the homeless, the hungry, the poor, a sick person. The next question you'll be asking is what is he going to do for me next? Let me answer that, he'll raise your taxes. As long as you are okay with that...it's all good.
FYI, I donated a quarter of that money to charities anyway.

He MAY raise taxes, he MAY NOT...we will see what happens.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
The problem is that it is not "free". Either it will be paid for in tax dollars or it will be added to our debt.

You see..none of these programs are free. Cash for clunkers, auto bailouts, useless stimulus packages...they all cost money.

Even the promise of Obamacare is not free. We will have to pay for it through more taxes or more debt.

Nothing in life is free, no matter how well a politician sells it to you.
kinda like all the ordinance used to blow up Iraq and the billions we spent running that war. It wasn't free and all that it did was stradle us with a liability.

I missed the tea baggers protesting on that debacle..hmm, let me check google and see when Glen Beck and Sean Hannity told people to protest that money being flushed down the toilet......

Old 01-26-2010, 10:51 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
as long as Albany is a mess, the president can't really help us IMO.
Exactly.

Obama's got an entire nation to worry about. The world doesn't revolve around New York. If New York wants to make things better, New York had better make it better for itself.

Although I did like the idea of firing all the Republicans. Not that Democrats are all that much better--Suozzi didn't do Nassau any favors--but Republicans were the ones who started the AMT and other, shall we say, violations upon the middle class. The current fiscal crisis can be traced back directly to the Keating 5. Most of the Keating 5 were Democrats, true, with one notable exception: John McCain. I think the nation dodged a serious bullet there.

And not for nothing, but Republicans are going to be the LAST people who give a hoot about the middle class. They always have been, are now, and ever shall be all about loopholes for the wealthy. Their social policies suck, too--very busy trying to force poor women to have babies they don't want and can't afford. Forget it. I ran from that party in 2000 and never looked back.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 AM

And no one has missed you since 2000.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 AM

15 posts, read 42,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Resign.
I was going to say "die", but "resign" will work too.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:22 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
Cut off Long Island from all of the tunnels and bridges anchoring us to NYC and float it out to sea.

A better question would be why would Obama do anything for Long Island??

Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 AM

They say the same thing in Staten Island

Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
How about cutting off upstate NY and making them their own state. Long island and the city would remain NY. Upstate shows no resemblance to either areas and looks alot more like Vermont,and NH. We wouldn't have to share all the money with those areas which would help long islanders especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island