Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:10 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
I live in downtown Brooklyn and recently obtained a great position in Melville LI. Opposed to what many people think my drive there is only about 40 minutes. Living in Clinton Hill, I am 5 blocks away from the BQE, about 2 miles on that I switch to the I495 Long Island Expressway. Once on that I simply stay on (also Im doing a reverse commute and so far I have had zero traffic holdups going East in the morning and even West in the evening).

The problem I have is those damn trucks and speeding cars! Everyone is flying at 100 mph!!!! Me and my little MINI Cooper are terrified! And get this, even going at 65 is too slow for these people! A big monster truck tailgated me and almost blew my head off with his horn because at 65 mph, well that was just too slow for him! Even when I stay in the right lane I still get hassled by these speed freaks!

I need an alternative way to get to work and Im considering the LIRR from Flatbush avenue, I simply cant take the LIE. I am also looking at other alternative routes. But any advice from you LI folks on how to overcome this fear?? The LIE/BQE is still the fastest option for me. Any alt route suggestions are good too, thanks!

There won't be any cars speeding during rush hour. It will be a very easy commute. I could drive on the LIE with my eyes closed. I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 03:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
In 20 years of living on LI, I never drove on any major highway. Scares me to death. I took secondary roads, i.e., Rte 25, 110., etc. I used to drive from Smithtown to Freeport twice a week to take my daughter to hockey, and always took side roads.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
In 20 years of living on LI, I never drove on any major highway. Scares me to death. I took secondary roads, i.e., Rte 25, 110., etc. I used to drive from Smithtown to Freeport twice a week to take my daughter to hockey, and always took side roads.
Wow, really? That must have taken forever! Yeah, the LIE is crazy, but the other parkways are generally fine. The LIE is an interstate too...so that's part of the reason.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Ah yes, because Jericho and Route 110 are so much better

Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 PM

104 posts, read 380,448 times
Smile Terrified of the Long Island Expwy-Part 2: A word of thanks!

Hello All, I came back from work today to see many posts on my thread entitled "Terrified of the Long Island Expressway" ( http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...xpressway.html ) . I want to thank each and everyone of you that responded with the great advice, tips, comments and observations. Moderator cut: comment

I took the LIRR today and it was fabulous. The Ronkonkama train was warm, clean and I even got into a pleasant chat with a lady during the ride. The Firm coach bus was waiting right at the entrance and I got to work safely. Coming home was equally pleasant. It was snowing today so it was a good excuse to provide my new boss for taking the train in. She has informed me that during any kind of bad weather I can utilize the LIRR which gets me in about 15 minutes later. So that was a load off my mind. The whole ride from myn door in Brooklyn to stepping into the job takes about 1 hour and a half. I thik the extra time is worth it plus I get to sleep/chat on the train.

On the driving tip I think I'm going take some peoples suggestions (and yours too LIGolf) and try out the GSP/Northern Parkway route to see if its less stressful. I really dont mind the speed that much as I do the truckers. The LIE is definitely for the more bolder driver, and after 15 years of not having to drive, I need more practice before I can roll on it confidently.

Thanks again all!

Last edited by Keeper; 01-29-2010 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: mispell

Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I never drove on the LIE in all my 40+ years of driving on Long Island. The few times I went into Brooklyn I drove from Sunrise (I think) all the way to Atlantic Avenue through Queens & there I was finally in Brooklyn. (Of course I had to stay overnight in a motel , but still.... )

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
Hello All, I came back from work today to see many posts on my thread entitled "Terrified of the Long Island Expressway" ( http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...xpressway.html ) . I want to thank each and everyone of you that responded with the great advice, tips, comments and observations. Moderator cut: comment

I took the LIRR today and it was fabulous. The Ronkonkama train was warm, clean and I even got into a pleasant chat with a lady during the ride. The Firm coach bus was waiting right at the entrance and I got to work safely. Coming home was equally pleasant. It was snowing today so it was a good excuse to provide my new boss for taking the train in. She has informed me that during any kind of bad weather I can utilize the LIRR which gets me in about 15 minutes later. So that was a load off my mind. The whole ride from myn door in Brooklyn to stepping into the job takes about 1 hour and a half. I thik the extra time is worth it plus I get to sleep/chat on the train.

On the driving tip I think I'm going take some peoples suggestions (and yours too LIGolf) and try out the GSP/Northern Parkway route to see if its less stressful. I really dont mind the speed that much as I do the truckers. The LIE is definitely for the more bolder driver, and after 15 years of not having to drive, I need more practice before I can roll on it confidently.

Thanks again all!
I've been driving the LIE for 35-40 years now and I'm still terrified every time I drive it. However, there are times it's not all that congested (early weekend mornings for instance) and it's actually the fastest way to get to Brooklyn or out east from where I live (western Suffolk county). It's also the best road to use in snow emergencies - meaning it gets more attention than any other road in Nassau/Suffolk. If you have another passenger, use the HOV lane and avoid the trucks ! good luck...

Last edited by Keeper; 01-29-2010 at 04:52 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM

187 posts, read 863,155 times
The Southern State scares me more.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
The Southern State scares me more.
Me also .. especially around Elmont/Baldwin at 10-11pm .. those crazy motorcycles buzzing by at 120 mph on those curves. I will never get used to that.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 25,546 times
As long as you are driving 55 mph in the right hand land, you shouldn't be getting too many angry responses. However, I can't relate because I confess to leading in the indy 500. When I get stuck behind a mini-cooper doing 50 mph, I have to reason that person by rights can do it without risking their life. I just go around them without gesturing or anything. Doing 55 in the left lane is another story. Why is it that a person will not go around someone going too slow but will instead bug them to go faster (unless in the left lane)? Is it that hard to change lanes?

Here's an interesting fact that relates to fast driving. It has been said that the earth has increased its speed by a small amouint. This, in turn, results in faster driving in an attempt to be at one with the earth. Ok, so I made the 2nd part up.

Last edited by newyawka; 01-28-2010 at 09:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island