Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times

Advertisements

The Long Island Game Farm ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymamabear View Post
Can someone tell me where I could bring some chickens that we've raised but can't keep. We have 16 altogether but can only keep 8. They are about 4 wks now and have been fed a strictly organic diet....I need to hurry up and find them a home because I just don't have space for them. The coop we ordered is a lean to and is only good for 7-9 hens.

Thanks!
Try contacting Suffolk County Farm in Yaphank.

Where are you located?

Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,567 times
Do u all know where I can buy baby chicks on long island?

Old 06-29-2014, 09:21 AM

852 posts, read 968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharicota View Post
I doubt that there are any real hatcheries there. DO NOT buy them from a store like Tractor Supply. (Bad stock, and in bad health from terrible treatment and living conditions)

Believe it or not, you can order baby chicks through the mail- and get good stock from some of the best hatcheries. The Murray McMurray Hatchery comes to mind- they're not the cheapest, but they have good stock. Google for their website- they've been doing mail-order chicks for ages.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:54 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,110 times
The feed will cost more than store bought eggs will,also the feed will bring mice Racoons finally put an end to my

Old 06-29-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharicota View Post
First check with your local town code as to whether or not you can have chickens, and if you can have any roosters. I had someone give me 6 chicks; 4 were roosters. You also have to make sure they will have adequate shelter from the elements and predators. They do require some work.

I used to buy pullets from Makinajian Poultry Farm in Huntington. Pullets are generally 15-22 weeks old; hens start laying around 24 weeks.
Makinajian Poultry Farm & Country Store

You could also try Benner's Farm in Setauket:
Home

Old 06-29-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
I doubt that there are any real hatcheries there. DO NOT buy them from a store like Tractor Supply. (Bad stock, and in bad health from terrible treatment and living conditions)

Believe it or not, you can order baby chicks through the mail- and get good stock from some of the best hatcheries. The Murray McMurray Hatchery comes to mind- they're not the cheapest, but they have good stock. Google for their website- they've been doing mail-order chicks for ages.
No Tractor Supply stores on LI. I've seen troughs very full of chicks at a TS in NH -- what a ruckus and stink they make. Yes, there's no way that can be healthy for them and it does seem cruel. It's like they're no different than stacked up sacks of feed -- inventory, not living creatures. Agway gets them in as well, but both stores only do it during the spring.

Murray McMurray is certainly a good resource. I would feel guilty ordering/shipping chicks in the hot weather.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
The feed will cost more than store bought eggs will,also the feed will bring mice Racoons finally put an end to my
Simply keep the feed in sealed plastic garbage cans or bins; and only give the chickens what they can eat in a few hours. The OP should Google "chicken tractor" if she doesn't know about them already- they are essentially portable pens/coops, with no bottom, which can be moved around, to essentially let the chickens free-range on your grass/bugs. Doing that, they need very little feed- and for just a handful of chickens, a $12 bag of feed would last well over a month.

Store bought chicken and eggs are still cheaper....but you can't compare the two. Eggs you buy in the supermarket are pale yellow tasteless junk, from chickens that live in tight confinement and are literally fed crap. Fresh eggs from naturally raised chickens are dark orange; bursting with taste and nutrition, and contain no garbage. Once you've eaten a real egg, you'll never eat a supermarket egg again.

I was a vegetarian for 15 years when I still lived there. When I moved here, I got some cows, and had one of my steers butchered. Healthy, home-grown natural grass-fed beef...for about $3 per lb. When you start eating real food, you can never go back to the supermarket crap....most of that stuff isn't really even food. That's why everyone's so sickly these days.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
No Tractor Supply stores on LI.
Isn't there one in Riverhead, now?

Yeah, I hate to see all the chicks and ducklings in TSC every spring, the way they keep them.

Nothing beats buying from a local hatchery, in-person. Didn't know they still had any on the Island.

My last batch of chicks, I got together with two neighbors. They drove to a hatchery about an hour away, and got a good deal on 100 chicks; and split them 3 ways. We were able to mix and match breeds, so we all got the varieties we wanted. Gotta love country life! (The Buff Orpingtons were the best! They laid consistently through even the winter. 'Course, the RIR rooster probably helped, too!)

Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,538 times
Definitely check the site BYC=back yard chickens. It has loads of information on all topics..even zoning and regulations. I have had chickens now for 3 years...previously have zero experience if any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island