Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm as anti-corporate elite as you can come by, but that isn't the issue here. The simple fact is that cops and teachers make their money from taxpayers, and their total compensation is much higher than someone with equivalent skills and/or education in the private sector, so we are paying a premium that we don't need to.
Cops are not state employees. They are county employees. So, your point here is irrelevant.

And I was referring to this post of yours. vvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Right, because the person working at Social Services making 40 grand is taking such advantage of you to the point where you'll get a kick out of seeing them lose their job.

But never mind. Let's go ahead and furlough your aunt.

And your wife, come to think of it, as she's a teacher, isn't she?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:06 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
None of whose salaries or benefits are paid for by the taxpayers. I couldn't care less what someone in the private sector does with their time - that's between them and their boss.

Civil servants are a different story.

I loved the duo of civil servants on the news last night who complained about both having to take furloughs, then complained about little they make. If you make that little you won't even miss it. BTDT, in the private sector. As a co-worker of mine once said when we had to take a paycut "5% of nothing is nothing so what difference does it make?"
As a consumer you should care what a private sector worker does with their time because your money may be paying that persons salary in one way or another.
As for not missing a 20% pay cut, you must ride around on a very high horse to think that this won't destroy these families.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
I'm sure they will miss the 20% of pay but that's what needs to be done to bring expenses down. Private industry has been adjusting their payrolls and the state needs to do the same thing. State employees are not exempt from economic pain.

Civil Servants should be grateful for their jobs. They receive pay and benefits better than most private employees. In fact, as negative contributors to the economy they should be eternally grateful for anything they receive.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Right, because you're average desk jockey is responsible for the financial crisis we experienced.

I seriously doubt that I'll need the help of, say, a social worker any time in the near future, but even if I did, I wouldn't hold out a ton of hope that they'd be oh-so-helpful when I tried to get in contact with them.

I interned at the state legislature in college and saw plenty of state workers in the building, and trust me when I tell you I couldn't move that slow if I tried.
I'm guessing you don't work in finance do you? I worked for a financial firm for about a year and a half--one that did not take bailout money on the grounds that the CEO felt that the money should have been used to pay salaries and keep people working, not be some kind of backasswards reward for laying people off.

He is the exception, though, and a year and a half of seeing how it works and the utter greed that runs rampant in the financial sector from the top down was enough to sour my stomach to the industry as a whole. I can promise you that the Lehman situation started at the top, and was a couple of years in the making. Never mind the stupidity with deregulation in the financial sector with respect to mortgage lending, but hey, going back to the Keating 5 would be veering way off topic here. However, feel free to Google it. Bottom line, no pun intended, is that the administrative assistant filing papers did not cause the financial meltdown.

As for your comments about civil servants, it's all about you and what you need, then? Doesn't matter what someone in your family might need, or your neighbor, or other people in your community. You've got yours, and to heck with someone who might need assistance with replacing a stolen license, or need help with Medicaid. I hope you don't damage your car hitting any pot holes.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:26 AM

128 posts, read 340,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
As a consumer you should care what a private sector worker does with their time because your money may be paying that persons salary in one way or another.
As for not missing a 20% pay cut, you must ride around on a very high horse to think that this won't destroy these families.
Private sector employees have had to deal with DECLINING wage growth for the past 10 years, while those in public sector have been enjoying INCREASING wages. God forbid you cut anything in public sector. So is the way it works, private can feel the pain but not public workers?

During times crisis and economic difficulties, government and local entity workers should not be getting bigger pay increases than the private sector. The private sector has really been struggling for the past decade, both in terms of job and pay, while the public sector continues to receive higher compensation, better benefits, defined benefit plans, etc.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:28 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Talk about potholes..how about we privatize fixing the roads. That would put private workers back to work. If we can hire private contractors to build our roads why are we using state employees to fix them?.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 AM

128 posts, read 340,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Talk about potholes..how about we privatize fixing the roads. That would put private workers back to work. If we can hire private contractors to build our roads why are we using state employees to fix them?.

That makes sense, which goes against the core of all government.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:38 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Cops are not state employees. They are county employees. So, your point here is irrelevant.
Not all cops are state employees, however some state employees are cops:
New York State Police

Also within many police departments, NYS Troopers not withstanding, there are a fair number of civilian personnel in support positions.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
Private sector employees have had to deal with DECLINING wage growth for the past 10 years, while those in public sector have been enjoying INCREASING wages. God forbid you cut anything in public sector. So is the way it works, private can feel the pain but not public workers?

During times crisis and economic difficulties, government and local entity workers should not be getting bigger pay increases than the private sector. The private sector has really been struggling for the past decade, both in terms of job and pay, while the public sector continues to receive higher compensation, better benefits, defined benefit plans, etc.
Show me where I said the public sector should not feel any pain.

I know that areas of the private sector have been struggling. But it's not the fault of the public worker that companies are stripping their employees of wages and benefits and forcing them to work longer for less pay. As I stated in another thread, it's the IGM (I've got mine) attitude that is hurting the private sector. Stop cutting each others throats.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,551 times
I sympathize with those affected by the furlough. It is a hardship that should have been avoided. However, I think people are missing the mark by throwing stones at the Governor.

Union leadership ignors the fact that we're in a deep financial hole. Lay-offs, pay freezes, furloughs, retirement and benefit attrition are everywhere in the private sector. For Union officials to dig in their heels and not offer up substantial concessions is a mistake. Demanding a 4% raise and continued top shelf entitlements is rediculous for the climate we're in. If the courts overturn the furlough, there will be lay-offs instead. It's a lose lose for the Unions, poor leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island