Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

And let's be honest, what is the attraction of these dogs? It's almost always the macho inclination to have a big, tough looking, muscle bound dog. I always have to question the wisdom of people I see walking around with these monsters, kinda like guys with giant 4 wheel drive trucks living on LI. Look at how "bad ass" I am, MAN!!
Sorry, but I have had 3 of these "monsters" and they were the most loving and affectionate dogs I have ever have ever owned. The question I have to ask is why someone would want to own a worthless and pathetic small yappy type dog. See, it goes both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 AM

122 posts, read 200,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Interesting post.

So you are saying there are some dogs that are so ill-bred even Cesar Milan couldn't turn them into good canine citizens?

Did you happen to see any of the media reports about Michael Vick's fighting dogs that were rehabilitated? Some were able to become normal pets but I don't know if all were.
Good and valid questions.

Don't get me started on Cesar Milan. That is an entirely different thread all together. If you want to PM, I will be more than happy to discuss with you.

Yes, I did but once again Michael Vick's dogs were used in fighting. And as I mentioned, dog fighting (or matching as it was called when it was legal) and human aggression are two different things. A dog that was fought can be kept as a family pet as I metioned about the dogmen who kept their dogs amongst family and slept with their children. I am clearly talking about the people that have pit bulls that are breeding them with guardian dogs. The people who have an ill tempered pit bull who either ignore the signs or like the fact their pit bull is aggressive toward humans. I been witness to shelters who rehome pit bulls that have bitten people. The responsible owners shudder when they see this. We do not have room in our community for a pit bull that bites people. They need to be put down, period. Much to my dismay there are plenty of good natured pit bulls that need to be rescued. We do not need to devote time and energy to the dogs that are ill tempered.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 AM

I was going to respond about something else that was mentioned in this thread but I can't find it something about the owner cropping the dog's ears which stated the dog wasn't friendly?

A dog with cropped ears has nothing to do with it's temperament! I swear everything gets blown out of proportion.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im not sure if I agree with this strategy ...but Im not surprised.

Theyre great dogs if you treat em right from puppies.
Aggressive Owners=Aggressive Dogs I guess.

Police and the SPCA are investigating after a pit bull was shot and killed on Long Island. | 7online.com

Crooks
I don't know what's worse:

A dog running around unsupervised?

OR

A yahoo civilian shooting off a handgun in a neighborhood with kids in the vicinity?

Unless this guy always carries the gun loaded on his hip in a holster or leaves it loaded on a table somewhere (which are both unsafe ways to keep a gun in your house, especially if you are civilian with kids), you know he had to take the time to go get it from the gun safe, load it, etc. ... by that time he could have clearly seen the dog did not attack anyone!

I take back my prior comment that this happened way too fast. I think someone just was itching to shoot off the extension of his "manhood" very badly and found a convenient target in a hapless animal.

I hope the cops give him what's coming for irresponsibly firing a handgun in a family neighborhood in the middle of the day.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Bijon to the face? OUCH!

I have several dogs; 2 are JRTs. The JRTs engage in play behavior with one another which is rough and mimics rodent hunting. There's no way to train instinct out of them. I did my research before adopting one so I knew what to expect. Too bad more people don't do their homework before adopting pets.

Even if raised properly, any dog could bite -- they're animals and it is instinct. I understand your point but it still does not answer the question "How to go about informing the ghetto-machismo types that pitbulls are not an extension of their manhood?"

I know several families in the area where this happened. The only 'inside' info I've been able to get confirms the dog has roamed freely on several occasions. No one really knew the man who shot the dog. The closest was a friend's friend so I didn't inquire further.

The dog's owner should have kept the dog in a fenced in yard, or in the house. Not chained up to a tree on the front lawn. The shooter lured the dog away from the kids, which was good, but I question that he couldn't make it into his house, or into the safety of his car, without having to shoot?
So nobody you know there was threatened or bitten by the dog? I hope they tell that to the police. I think the dog shooter was another one of those ghetto-machismo types using a handgun as the "substitute" for his manhood and had no business shooting off a handgun with kids around.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So nobody you know there was threatened or bitten by the dog? I hope they tell that to the police. I think the dog shooter was another one of those ghetto-machismo types using a handgun as the "substitute" for his manhood and had no business shooting off a handgun with kids around.
Completely possible, but doesn't change the fact that owning pit bulls is stupid.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Completely possible, but doesn't change the fact that owning pit bulls is stupid.
What's worse:

A dog running around unsupervised?

OR

A yahoo civilian shooting off a handgun in a neighborhood with kids in the vicinity?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion which is just that an opinion.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbing68 View Post
Good and valid questions.

Don't get me started on Cesar Milan. That is an entirely different thread all together. If you want to PM, I will be more than happy to discuss with you.

Yes, I did but once again Michael Vick's dogs were used in fighting. And as I mentioned, dog fighting (or matching as it was called when it was legal) and human aggression are two different things. A dog that was fought can be kept as a family pet as I metioned about the dogmen who kept their dogs amongst family and slept with their children. I am clearly talking about the people that have pit bulls that are breeding them with guardian dogs. The people who have an ill tempered pit bull who either ignore the signs or like the fact their pit bull is aggressive toward humans. I been witness to shelters who rehome pit bulls that have bitten people. The responsible owners shudder when they see this. We do not have room in our community for a pit bull that bites people. They need to be put down, period. Much to my dismay there are plenty of good natured pit bulls that need to be rescued. We do not need to devote time and energy to the dogs that are ill tempered.
I understand. Good information. It does, however, give creedence to the "all pit bulls are born bad" crowd as something they can point to and say, "See, too many pit bulls are born monsters!"

But, I appreciate the truth!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbing68 View Post
Of course you are entitled to your opinion which is just that an opinion.
And your legally entitled to have your manly monster dog just like your no pipes harley or booming car stereo system, just remember to keep it away from my kid, and that most people who aren't trying to prove their manhood think you are a idiot for having them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island