Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
All Im saying is its not the housing ...its the w2.
I respectfully disagree because I don't want to get into a big debate over it... The housing prices are the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspace7 View Post
I like warmer weather, the east coast and being <2hr flight from home and with the frequency of CLT to NY it works great.
The Charlotte forum is pretty good here and feel free to DM me over any Charlotte questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Thanks Dman and your kind words. My grandfather worked and retired from Grumman and my Dad worked for Grumman for over 20years before he got the shaft. Growing up and seeing my Dad build F-14's and with Top Gun out at the time I had no choice to do anything else. I've been flying on Long Island since I was 12 with the Civil Air Patrol and I've been a commercial pilot since 2005 working for 1010 wins doing traffic watch, flying rich folk in the Hamptons and as a flight instructor for SUNY Farmingdale. When I go to work at LGA I never think of it as a job even after 4 years. It's a passion and the pay will return as the industry is in an evolution stage going from Legacy carriers like American to Low Cost like Jet Blue.

I've been living with my girlfriend for 3 years who helps out on the rent but I am independent and don't want to rely on her income to make ends meet because not all relationships work and I wouldn't want to be out on the street if that happened. Not that it will after 4 years but anything is possible.

My plan is to move to Charlotte and jumpseat to LGA, like Cpt. Sully did from California and like most other pilots do. It's only an 1hr and 30 min flight which I feel is better than fighting rush hour from Medford to LGA and nearly getting rear ended every time or rear ending someone else.

I could fly business jets on LI for coin but I wouldn't get 16 days off a month or be able to fly me, family and friends to Hawaii for the week for less than $300. As an airline pilot it has advantages and disadvantages. It just sucks that Long Island is on a runaway freight train of price inflation in it's property taxes.

I think jumpseating is a no brainer for you. If you're only away from home 3 days a week, who cares? You don't have kids. Even if you did, 3 days is nothing. I'd be out of LI tomorrow in you situation. Do it now, and start saving wherever you go. In 5 years you might have a decent downpayment for a house here if you decide you HAVE to live here, but I don't think you will decide that.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:09 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Quote:
You get it! My gf and I were rearended about a year ago. Not very bad but she has a small frame and had become more injured than I. Anyway she was out of work for a month where I took a hit and just recently she pulled her back at work probably aggravated the same injury and was out another month. I watched my checking account suffer all the savings I had for an emergency just like this. Relying on two incomes is dangerous, I like safety nets.
First hand experience here. We were hit by the downturn (I was out of work for about 6 months), but because we were able to save a big chunk of our paychecks during good times, both having had good salaries and being able to adjust spending, we never hit our savings. Heck, we actually still put money into savings while I was unemployed. I love the Island but I just can't see hitting the same situation and having the same result there.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I respectfully disagree because I don't want to get into a big debate over it... The housing prices are the issue.

The Charlotte forum is pretty good here and feel free to DM me over any Charlotte questions.
Try SoCal Kid...its all relative.

OP Beware of exPats peddling tar lurking on the LI boards.

I think LI is a steal compared to anywhere else in the country Id like to live.

Kids happy but so am I.
So to each his own.

If I was single I might check out NC.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 05-23-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 10:26 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times
Quote:
Try SoCal Kid...its all relative.

OP Beware of exPats peddling tar lurking on the LI boards.

I think LI is a steal compared to anywhere else in the country Id like to live.

Kids happy but so am I.
So to each his own.

Crooks
COL index 50% HIGHER THEN THE AVERAGE? This is affordable? Where did you want to move to, the Taj Mahal?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:35 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:

That would be the best case scenario. We all know one must eat, pay car loan, student loan, buy clothes, etc. So that number drastically increases. So what is everyone else doing? What will happen to L.I. after we all leave as prices continue to escalate?

Rant over.
What will happen? The wealthier people will take over as those making less (middle class) are forced to move to another state where homes are more affordable.

My son is in the same boat as you. He's seriously thinking to moving out of NY now. Example. You can buy really nice starter 3 bedroom homes in TN or FL for under $150,000.

Last edited by =^..^=; 05-23-2010 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
With lower cost of living, comes lower annual salaries. Take a flight out to Phoenix or Tucson, unless you are a skilled engineer or have some desirable skills, chances are you will not make anything close to what you are making now. Don't forget, those states also have super high unemployment - much higher than NYS, CT or NJ. Also, with lower taxes, come less government provided services. You will have to drive 20 miles for a gallon of milk, there is no nightlife, everything is dead after 8:30 pm - except in Vegas or the Mojave (then the bats come alive along with the snakes).
Dude where have you been? It's time to quit watching Television and get out into the real world. Lets examine what you are saying shall we.

First off you can't get much lower than $42,000 per year annually for skilled labor...seriously and if you did it still isn't that bad. The poster is 100% correct in his assessment. Long Island is way too overpriced. Trust me I have lived all over the U.S and Europe and Long Island is among the most overpriced, Backwards places to live in the United States..I apologize but a 32 year old has no business living here if he can barely scrape by. People on Long Island are too uptight and stressed out. Psychologically this place kills you fast.

I'm also going to snipe your 20 miles to get a gallon of milk assertion. Please...I've been to Arizona, Florida, lived in the Carolina's, Texas, and several other places. My favorite was Texas so lets examine that a moment.

Texas, especially the Dallas-Ft.Worth area, Austin, Corpus Christie, North Dallas by Plano,Frisco, etc are beacons for young people. The night life is phenominal, the jobs are plentiful, sports are fantastic, and the architecture is modern. People are friendly and taxes are low. A person making a decent salary would have no problems buying a nice, new home with very low property taxes and if you prefer gated apartment communities with all the amenities are available. A person here paying 12,000 in annual property taxes can expect 1,500 there.

And honestly they have a plethora of fine restaurants, fast food, and 24 hour convenience stores...moreso than over here.

good luck

Old 05-23-2010, 01:30 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
Quote:

Crooks
I wouldn't peddle NC to the single or young - at least where I am. The things that tarheel offers are geared to families with young kids.

If I was young and single (which I'm clearly not - aka jaded bastige), I'd be sucking it up renting a shoebox on LI and trying to sock away as much money as possible. The entire market is in flux with significant demographic changes coming - especially in Suffolk county. I'd be waiting to see how that pans out.

If I had a young family and was lucky enough to have bought pre-bubble, I could see waiting it out as the next couple of years are going to help clear things up. Heck, thank goodness for the people that bought pre-bubble and stayed... The ones who dumped and overpayed in "Affordable Mecca #5634" are underwater and likely in no better position then if they had stayed.

It's not just about getting out - it's being smart.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:43 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I wouldn't peddle NC to the single or young - at least where I am. The things that tarheel offers are geared to families with young kids.

If I was young and single (which I'm clearly not - aka jaded bastige), I'd be sucking it up renting a shoebox on LI and trying to sock away as much money as possible. The entire market is in flux with significant demographic changes coming - especially in Suffolk county. I'd be waiting to see how that pans out.

If I had a young family and was lucky enough to have bought pre-bubble, I could see waiting it out as the next couple of years are going to help clear things up. Heck, thank goodness for the people that bought pre-bubble and stayed... The ones who dumped and overpayed in "Affordable Mecca #5634" are underwater and likely in no better position then if they had stayed.

It's not just about getting out - it's being smart.
Sorry Kid

I meant more in the take a chance on NC sense while hes still free to roam.

Crooks

Old 05-23-2010, 08:59 PM

40 posts, read 124,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
With lower cost of living, comes lower annual salaries. Take a flight out to Phoenix or Tucson, unless you are a skilled engineer or have some desirable skills, chances are you will not make anything close to what you are making now. Don't forget, those states also have super high unemployment - much higher than NYS, CT or NJ. Also, with lower taxes, come less government provided services. You will have to drive 20 miles for a gallon of milk, there is no nightlife, everything is dead after 8:30 pm - except in Vegas or the Mojave (then the bats come alive along with the snakes).
As a native Long Islander currently living in Phoenix for the past 10 years, those statements are rather dramatic. I have 3 grocery stores, a home depot, a Lowes, a 24 screen movie theatre and about 40 restaurants within a 2 mile radius of my house. As for nightlife, old town scottsdale and downtown tempe and phoenix have clubs open and people milling around as late as 3am on weekends. I wonder where you get your facts from? I also earn more here (finance) than I did back home on Long Island, unless I wanted to commute into NYC and then I would have to pay for the LIRR and the NYC tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island