Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:09 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I am seeing nice homes in Brookhaven with good schools in the high 2s low 3s with taxes under 10k. These are not handymen specials and are within reach of most folks.
Still too much Crooks. The economy is still down and according to some may take another hit. Maybe if the Island was still self sustaining I could see those prices but it's not, and many jobs on the Island can easily be done elsewhere excepting all the health care workers. From what I see salaries on the Island aren't close to justifying those prices.

Quote:
Im not saying LI hasnt lost a step over the years.All I'm saying is that all are welcome who chose to hall her home.

The notion that folks are being pushed out is absurd.They are choosing to get more house for their money elsewhere.This is not Silicon Valley.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your luxury obeservation as well. Most RE within 75 mi of the big city is either in high demand or neighbors an area that is.

LI will be just fine.Maybe a little different density wise but I wouldnt bet against her.

Remember a rising tide lifts all boats.
You can always hope for another Long Island Miracle, but I don't see it happening this time as things have changed since then. I also don't see the high demand for the area around NYC (unemployment 9.8%) that used to be there. When visiting Brooklyn I notice low occupancy rates and a drop in asking prices for some very nice apartments and condos, but that may just be the section I visit. I just don't think the Island will be fine for some time to come, though I hope I'm very wrong.

Remember a tidal wave also lifts all boats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 07:14 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
A few people have mentioned this, but what does the Island have to offer to make it propserous all by itself, without forcing everyone who wants to make some money to schlep into the city? Nothing ever really replaced Grumman, that I can see.

Melville is working on being attractive to business, but someone out here by MacArthur needs to jump on board.

Then again, it's a dilemma. It's all well and good to point to Virginia's tech corridor as an example of prosperity, but that area is on the mainland, so physically, there was room to spread out and accommodate the masses when they arrived. The spread wasn't always handled well, though, which is why northern Virginia has some of the worst suburban sprawl in the nation with the horrific traffic to match.

Long Island is in a tough spot, and has been for a long time. When you've been away for a while, and then come back, the cumulative decline is very noticeable.

Maybe the answer is for the Island to get back to its roots--towns with bustling Main Streets. The time is right for it, as the general mood across the country is one of disgust with huge conglomerates and a general mistrust of larger companies. If we're entering an era of localization (from Wall Street to Main Street, to be cliched about it), Long Island could benefit from that. The basic structure is already in place. Look at Bay Shore, and now Patchogue. Takes money, but so does everything.
I agree with many of your points in this thread and I don't have an easy answer... time will tell!

Quote:
Perhaps you misunderstood my point.

I am seeing nice homes in Brookhaven with good schools in the high 2s low 3s with taxes under 10k. These are not handymen specials and are within reach of most folks.

Im not saying LI hasnt lost a step over the years.All I'm saying is that all are welcome who chose to hall her home.

The notion that folks are being pushed out is absurd.They are choosing to get more house for their money elsewhere.This is not Silicon Valley.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your luxury obeservation as well. Most RE within 75 mi of the big city is either in high demand or neighbors an area that is.

LI will be just fine.Maybe a little different density wise but I wouldnt bet against her.

Remember a rising tide lifts all boats.

Crooks
I think you know me long enough that I'm not talking armageddeon - LI isn't falling into the ocean (just don't ask the insurance companies ). But seriously, it will always be "Strong Island"... It just is showing its age right now. We both know that we're not far off in opinion here. I am just more vocal about it.

BTW - I would say 75 miles is a serious stretch, but honestly the LIRR is what kills it for me that far out. What compounds it as you get far enough East you start to get into "vacation" territory and the price jumps again... It's really clogging up the middle.

I mean no disrespect to Brookhaven - but it's Brookhaven. Whether folks are choosing to leave to get more house as you say or being "pushed out" - the end result is the same. We're not talking CSH or Syosset here... If you can find arguably as good as (or better) schools and more house for that 200-300k vs. the "nice small house" in Brookhaven and have significant money left over from lower taxes, you have to see the lure for young families. Again, there's no way I'm condoning McMansions - insane excess and a waste - there's going to be countless sitting empty and rotting all over Transplantville, USA.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:07 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I agree with many of your points in this thread and I don't have an easy answer... time will tell!

I think you know me long enough that I'm not talking armageddeon - LI isn't falling into the ocean (just don't ask the insurance companies ). But seriously, it will always be "Strong Island"... It just is showing its age right now. We both know that we're not far off in opinion here. I am just more vocal about it.

BTW - I would say 75 miles is a serious stretch, but honestly the LIRR is what kills it for me that far out. What compounds it as you get far enough East you start to get into "vacation" territory and the price jumps again... It's really clogging up the middle.

I mean no disrespect to Brookhaven - but it's Brookhaven
. Whether folks are choosing to leave to get more house as you say or being "pushed out" - the end result is the same. We're not talking CSH or Syosset here... If you can find arguably as good as (or better) schools and more house for that 200-300k vs. the "nice small house" in Brookhaven and have significant money left over from lower taxes, you have to see the lure for young families. Again, there's no way I'm condoning McMansions - insane excess and a waste - there's going to be countless sitting empty and rotting all over Transplantville, USA.
None taken... but geez Kid you couldnt even make it in lowly dirtbag Brookhaven?
; )

I mean I know Brookhaven's no great shakes( like say Cary) but dang its not that shabby either.
Im talking decent stuff in dung heaps like:

E. Setauket, NY, 11733 - MLS #2286200 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Mt. Sinai, NY, 11766 - MLS #2255645 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Miller Place, NY, 11764 - MLS #2280351 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

You know...usual ghettos with notoriously bad schools and absolutely nothing to offer.
Lousy places to raise a family...that sort of thing.

Time will indeed tell my friend.We do agree there.
I still say we'll see you back home after your Tarheel experiment.

Its all good.

Crooks

FWIW Kid just an FYI
http://www.greatschools.org/new-york...hool-District/
http://www.greatschools.org/new-york...hool-District/

Last edited by Crookhaven; 05-29-2010 at 09:20 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I mean I know Brookhaven's no great shakes( like say Cary) but dang its not that shabby either.
Im talking decent stuff in dung heaps like:

E. Setauket, NY, 11733 - MLS #2286200 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Mt. Sinai, NY, 11766 - MLS #2255645 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Miller Place, NY, 11764 - MLS #2280351 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

You know...usual ghettos with notoriously bad schools and absolutely nothing to offer.
Lousy places to raise a family...that sort of thing.
Those are the best you can do for 300K? That's the very real estate that is sending the young packing.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Those are the best you can do for 300K? That's the very real estate that is sending the young packing.
Like I said....dreadful dungheaps with awful schools

Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times
1) Backing a mjor home, otherwise its very meh.

2) TBB home.

3) Shack on a postage stamp.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Seriously, our condo when we left the Island was bigger than two of those houses/bungalows. Those are nice starters but no matter how you cut it those houses at those prices are no bargain, and a great reason why so many of the Island's young are leaving or not going back after college.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
1) Backing a mjor home, otherwise its very meh.

2) TBB home.

3) Shack on a postage stamp.

Have you considered North Carolina?

Old 05-30-2010, 06:43 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times
Quote:
Have you considered North Carolina?
I realize you like LI, but I think that people here really need to remove the blinders and get off the Island for a while before starting to defend the place. Paying 300K for a 5 room home on a postage stamp with 5K in taxes and not raising everyones eyebrows should be raising some red flags.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
I realize you like LI, but I think that people here really need to remove the blinders and get off the Island for a while before starting to defend the place. Paying 300K for a 5 room home on a postage stamp with 5K in taxes and not raising everyones eyebrows should be raising some red flags.

Sell the Vette....buy the house or go Tarheel.

If this is just occuring to you now perhaps you should've bought a honda years ago and saved like the rest of us.

All kidding aside, Ive been where you are. The pain is in sitting on the fence not hopping over it.

That postage stamp you described may be your ticket to the American Dream.I know it was for us.
I love my schools and having my family nearby and being near the beach, city etc.

Good luck in whatever you decide...but decide.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island