Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM
eto eto started this thread

9 posts, read 33,368 times

Advertisements

After being in CT for the last 7 years, my wife and I are pretty sure we'd like to come back to the island. We're looking to try and put ourselves in the Herricks or E Williston (EW) school districts (SDs). Our only concerns about these areas are related to my commute to Penn Station.

I've looked at the LIRR website, Google maps, etc. and it looks like from the various parts of the Herricks SD, you can take the train from Albertson or from Mineola/Merillon/New Hyde Park. Similarly, from EW, the train options are EW or Mineola/Merillon?

The commute times from Mineola/Merillon/New Hyde Park are 10-15 minutes better (one way) than from Alberston/EW, but unless we find a house in Manhasset Hills (with a New Hyde Park address??), it doesn't look like I'll be able to get a village sticker to these stations. Is this right?

Also, it looks like there are small free lots at Merillon, EW, & Albertson. Can I rely on parking in these lots without a resident sticker?

Finally would it make sense to drive from EW to Merillon/Mineola in an attempt for a shorter commute? Will I shorten my commute this way?

Last edited by eto; 05-25-2010 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 07:21 AM

55 posts, read 176,951 times
Default Choose Mineola

Hi, I work in Midtown. I live in Mineola and you must be a resident to park in the lots. The lot does fill up quickly. On the LIRR Mineola to Hunterspoint, Queens is 35 minutes then I jump on the 7 train to 42nd street (~10 minutes). I think this is great.

There is an alternative from the areas you mentioned. Catch the N22 or N24 from Jericho or Hillside to the F train on 179th Street. You save a huge chunk of money but it will take you a bit longer.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:05 AM

292 posts, read 820,277 times
I live in GC, don't know if you need a sticker for Merillon Avenue but that lot gets absolutely packed, to the point where people put their cars in spots that aren't really spots, and good luck getting out if you get home before them.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:14 AM

9 posts, read 36,536 times
I live in Manhasset Hills and correct we do not belong to any LlRR station to get sticker(however we dont pay for it in village taxes)
What alot of us do is drive to Little Neck park on the street and grab the wonderful Port Washington line
the zone is queens so monthly pass is cheaper. Also when in a jam and cant find a spot you can put it
in the lot for 7 dollars.
good luck

Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
eto eto started this thread

9 posts, read 33,368 times
Default Thanks

I almost forgot about this post because we've been running around trying to get our house ready for sale, run down to LI to look, etc...

Anyway, thanks for the replies all. We haven't made a decision yet and all of this will be helpful.

riddlemethis - it's good to know that merillon gets crazy

sdanielj - thanks for reminding me of the bus system. i'll have to look in to some of those options too

androniki - thanks for letting me know that Manhasset Hills doesn't get a NHP sticker. actually, we're starting to consider manhasset hills pretty strongly. what time do u drive to little neck in the morning and how bad is the traffic?

Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
I live in GC, don't know if you need a sticker for Merillon Avenue but that lot gets absolutely packed, to the point where people put their cars in spots that aren't really spots, and good luck getting out if you get home before them.
I've taken the LIRR out of Merillon for 11 years. I've always gotten dropped off so parking has never been an issue for me. No sticker is needed but the lot fills to capacity VERY early. I've seen people 'create' their own spots as well. The lengths some people will go to just to park at Merillon boggles my mind. Unless you plan on catching a 6am train, don't count on parking at Merillon (well not 'legally' anyway).

Old 06-25-2010, 12:23 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
eto, Manhasset Hills is a hamlet in the Town of North Hempstead, and even though it has a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address, it is not in the Village of New Hyde Park.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Actually, the majority of places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address (3,339 acres) are not in the Village of New Hyde Park (631 acres).

In Nassau County, as a whole, the majority of places are not in the community named in that place's mailing address.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:08 AM

9 posts, read 36,536 times
i leave the house around 7:25 get to the station find parking get a cup of coffee
and get on the 7:55 after that there is an 8:10 if i miss that one
finding parking is an art form so the longer you do it the easier you can find one

good luck love leaving in manhasset hills

Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
This is from Today....

Hate your commute? Then pity workers in Beijing, Mexico City - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100630/lf_nm_life/us_commuters_cities - broken link)

Excerpt from article above....

Some cities came out worse than others with 22 percent of commuters in Mexico City taking more than an hour a day for a typical one-way trip to work compared to only two percent of commuters in New York or Madrid taking that long.

According to this article, every single person living east of Farmingdale and commuting to Manhattan will fall under the unlucky two percent New Yorkers.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:22 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
According to this article, every single person living east of Farmingdale and commuting to Manhattan will fall under the unlucky two percent New Yorkers.
Many areas in the NYC Borough of Queens are in a two-fare (bus and then subway) zone and the folks who live in these areas have a commute that exceeds an hour; and, in many cases, the commute is closer to 2 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island