Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:21 PM

126 posts, read 522,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Zillow is useless
You don't think the estimates are accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I was looking into that area as well and I like the area I just did not want to buy into Farmingdale school district. I think resale would be easier with Massapequa or Plainedge school district. The reputation for Farmingdale is not wonderful (although i have also heard positive feedback about their music program) Some graduated students from the highschool have informed me of a lot of issues and fights involving race relations and gangs.
Well....well resell would be easier in a lot of areas that are just outside my price range. I was pretty much priced out of the nice areas of Massapequa and comparable houses in North Massapequa in the Plainedge school district were like 2k more per year in taxes. Like i said in the original post, for the money i have, it was either East Meadow or N. Massapequa, and i think Farmingdale and East Meadow are quite similar as far as their test scores and diverse student body.

I don't think i am going to run into the problems someone who's trying to sell in Amityville, Westbury or other really bad school district unless Farmingdale SD declines drastically within the next 10 years.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:56 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. Any other comments from ppl who has lived in the area or are familiar with the school district are welcome. I am really not very familiar with LI, and i just hope i made the right decision and that this is not an area in the downslope where i'll have a hard time selling in say 10 to 15 years.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:57 PM

280 posts, read 247,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
Well....well resell would be easier in a lot of areas that are just outside my price range. I was pretty much priced out of the nice areas of Massapequa and comparable houses in North Massapequa in the Plainedge school district were like 2k more per year in taxes. Like i said in the original post, for the money i have, it was either East Meadow or N. Massapequa, and i think Farmingdale and East Meadow are quite similar as far as their test scores and diverse student body.

I don't think i am going to run into the problems someone who's trying to sell in Amityville, Westbury or other really bad school district unless Farmingdale SD declines drastically within the next 10 years.
You'll be fine. Fdale school district is improving by leaps and bounds.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,873 times
If you're going to be there for 10 years or so, don't sweat the resale just yet. That's a long way away and many things can change for the good or bad.

As far as my thoughts on the area and the district now, I would suggest that you are going to enjoy living in the area and that the school district is fine.

I do speak with a little experience as I currently have 2 kids in FHS. Are there some gang and drug issues? Absolutely, but find me a HS on LI that doesn't have those problems, they all do. The problems in F'dale are no worse, or better, than most schools. The test scores are not among the best, but I can say that my interaction with the teachers have been good and I believe they are a generally positive and professional bunch. The curriculum offers tons of AP and honors courses which will challenge the best of students and prepare them for college (hopefully). The sports programs are also top notch, and as someone else mentioned the music program is also well regarded.

One must remember that the district does draw from a large socioeconomic spectrum, so the students and the numbers will reflect that. I do think the district does a good job of managing, while educating their students for the future. I have no issues sending my kids there and think they may even benefit from the experience.

As for the neighborhood, like many areas, the economy has created situations where folks have been forced out, or just can't keep the property in shape. I really don't think that it's an indicator of the area hitting a downslope. Generally, you will find the area to be dominated by what i would term "good working class folk". That being said, it doesn't mean that you couldn't end up with a "bad neighbor".

I'll take a guess and figure you're right off of N. Broadway. If so, you will find that the area is not the most "walkable", however you will find it fairly easy and convenient for shopping, dining and entertainment. The area has been pretty stable and much the same for the past 20 years so overall. As another poster said, you will likely find some neighbors who are "life timers" in the area which could also be considered a "good sign". Overall, I think it's a good area.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:39 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
I was looking into that area as well and I like the area I just did not want to buy into Farmingdale school district. I think resale would be easier with Massapequa or Plainedge school district. The reputation for Farmingdale is not wonderful (although i have also heard positive feedback about their music program) Some graduated students from the highschool have informed me of a lot of issues and fights involving race relations and gangs.
I can remember race riots at the HS when I went there back in the very early 1980's - I guess things have not changed too much!

Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
You don't think the estimates are accurate?
I don't.

At least not my house, they have mine valued very close to the assessed value and that value is way out of line. I wish my house was worth what they claim.

Anyway I like North Massapequa, I am in that area several nights a week.

Good luck with everything.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:52 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
I do speak with a little experience as I currently have 2 kids in FHS. Are there some gang and drug issues? Absolutely, but find me a HS on LI that doesn't have those problems, they all do. The problems in F'dale are no worse, or better, than most schools. The test scores are not among the best, but I can say that my interaction with the teachers have been good and I believe they are a generally positive and professional bunch. The curriculum offers tons of AP and honors courses which will challenge the best of students and prepare them for college (hopefully). The sports programs are also top notch, and as someone else mentioned the music program is also well regarded.

One must remember that the district does draw from a large socioeconomic spectrum, so the students and the numbers will reflect that. I do think the district does a good job of managing, while educating their students for the future. I have no issues sending my kids there and think they may even benefit from the experience.
Always enjoy your posts, LTB

Regarding the test scores, they may be middle of the road stacked against all other districts on LI....but keep in mind they are still only mere percentage points away from districts that most people consider amongst the best on the island. I don't think you really get into "bad district" territory until the test scores get much, MUCH worse than they do at Farmingdale.....

Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
If you're going to be there for 10 years or so, don't sweat the resale just yet. That's a long way away and many things can change for the good or bad.

As far as my thoughts on the area and the district now, I would suggest that you are going to enjoy living in the area and that the school district is fine.

As for the neighborhood, like many areas, the economy has created situations where folks have been forced out, or just can't keep the property in shape. I really don't think that it's an indicator of the area hitting a downslope. Generally, you will find the area to be dominated by what i would term "good working class folk". That being said, it doesn't mean that you couldn't end up with a "bad neighbor".

I'll take a guess and figure you're right off of N. Broadway. If so, you will find that the area is not the most "walkable", however you will find it fairly easy and convenient for shopping, dining and entertainment. The area has been pretty stable and much the same for the past 20 years so overall. As another poster said, you will likely find some neighbors who are "life timers" in the area which could also be considered a "good sign". Overall, I think it's a good area.
Great Post! I never thought of Farmingdale schools as bad and I grew up not far away playing them in HS sports in the 80's and I now live in Massapequa Park so I understand the N Mass issues. To start, it sounds like the OP got a great deal.

Two of my cousins graduated from there in the mid 80's and went to West Point. They always have top notch sports in Division I Nassau. I don't have any details on what the schools are like except a few people I know that live there and I doubt they would be in a 'bad' area.

Love that they added a Croxleys there. One thing I always found weird: isnt part of the town in each county? I guess like Amityville though that must be a little interesting for some.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,689 times
It may not be too bad. I was looking in North Massapqeua for quite some time before I found a house in Plainview/OB area.

Massapequa has gotten REAL cheap recently. Even for Massapequa schools.

If I was looking in Massapequa, I would have stuck with Mass. SD, just because there are plenty of houses for sale in that district that can be had for mid 300s. Of course not saying Farmingdale is bad, but you are right... test scores are definitely better in Levittown... and Massapequa scores are better than Levittown.

Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island