Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 AM

358 posts, read 1,075,591 times

Advertisements

I wonder if someone has stats on what the average age is for those "living together" I bet the numbers would be much lower if you factor that in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:17 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,615 times
They don't get married young here but by the time they are married they usually have about 6 kids.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 AM

358 posts, read 1,075,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
They don't get married young here but by the time they are married they usually have about 6 kids.

LOL, that's precisely my point. Some see marrying young as a negative but they think that living together (shacking up) and having babies out of wedlock is ok. I don't get that mentality.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I'll bet there's a stronger correlation between age at marriage with education level than there is with location (city, state). From the table above, notice the states with the older marriages probably have higher education levels. Utah is a whacked out religious anomaly but otherwise its the Vermonts, New Hampshires and Connecticuts vs the Alabamas, Tennessees, and Mississippis.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
my wife and i were both 26 when we got married. i only know a few other people under 30 in LA that are married. However, a bunch of friends of ours in Orange County (the burbs) were married younger than us and already have babies.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
Hey I heard that on average ppl get married way later here. What would you say it is comparred to most other U.S. cities/states?
Care to post your sources on this? Considering that we have soooooo many people relocating here from other parts of the country I dont think you can really qualify or quantify anything related to the numbers.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:29 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy24kids View Post
LOL, that's precisely my point. Some see marrying young as a negative but they think that living together (shacking up) and having babies out of wedlock is ok. I don't get that mentality.

I'm a Christian and got married at 21. A lot of my friends (female) were married by 24, but we were all virgins/didn't live with our boyfriends so it really depends on who you are talking to. I've lived in L.A. my entire life and when I tell people I got married at 21 people are always so surprised. A lot of Christians or Mormons marry young. I'm very happy I got married when I did and don't regret it at all. I love my husband

Old 06-18-2010, 11:40 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,714 times
The thing is the percentage of young, independent minded people who move here is small compared to the percentage of largely traditional, Hispanic or second generation Hispanic immigrants, who will, on average, marry much younger than upper middle class transplants from the midwest. If you're looking as to why the numbers are not as high as you think, one must consider the fact that the group "you" think is very meaningful is actually a very small, almost statistically insignificant, part of the population.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post

I'm a Christian and got married at 21. A lot of my friends (female) were married by 24, but we were all virgins/didn't live with our boyfriends so it really depends on who you are talking to. I've lived in L.A. my entire life and when I tell people I got married at 21 people are always so surprised. A lot of Christians or Mormons marry young. I'm very happy I got married when I did and don't regret it at all. I love my husband
There is statistical evidence that marrying at a younger age increases the likelihood of divorce. Not sure why, could be higher economic stresses, less maturity, less willingness to take responsibilities, or less opportunities to get all the "action" out of your system. When I was single, I was a kid in a candy store; Now that I'm married, I feel like a diabetic kid in a candy store. I got the seven year itch about six years and 51 weeks early. Also, some people may be pressured to marry in the "right" faith - a constraint - rather than marry the right person.

U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas

divorce rate increases with younger aged marriages

Evangelicals: Why Do We Have the Highest Divorce Rate? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Baptists have highest divorce rate

Bible Belt Leads U.S. In Divorces

Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,996 times
I think I only know one friend from high school who married by 21, high-school sweethearts and the husband being mormon. Of the rest of the people I went to school with growing up, they are getting married ~25 yrs old, but they likely have popped out a kid or two already... =X
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles