Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:28 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
A competing developer ALSO wants the same site next to the Concert Hall that Broad wants to build the museum on. They want to build a 17 story tower home to the Shen Yun Performing Arts Center. Personally, I think it will look HORRENDOUS next to the Concert Hall and Downtown. This thing belongs in Chinatown. Hopefully the city does the right thing and pick the Broad Museum that likely won't look like it belongs in a theme park.

Eli Broad museum site gets preliminary city OK, but a rival arts use suddenly emerges | Culture Monster | Los Angeles Times

That thing needs to stay in china!

Last edited by Jay100; 07-16-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 AM

787 posts, read 1,943,437 times
With final approvals in place...the Broad Museum is scheduled for completion in late 2012 on Grand Ave. in downtown.

Eli Broad says downtown L.A.'s Grand Avenue will be site of new contemporary art museum - latimes.com

The recession has grounded many downtown projects (including the commercial aspects of the Grand Ave plan). Yet, both the Civic Park (currently under construction) and now the Broad Museum will be key additions to the ongoing revitalization of downtown LA.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,193 times
Just what everyone is waiting for a private collector wanting his own building to showcase his own collection of so called 'important' post-modern/contemporary-in-relation-to-the-former-work.

I-am-so-elated.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
It was a foregone conclusion that Broad would get his museum downtown with the only opposition coming from the Shen Yun who wanted to build a horrible looking hotel on the site. Earlier this year the Times ran a story about how Eli Broad tends to pick uninteresting building designs. Hopefully the architects will design a nice addition to Grand; certainly not as flashy as the Disney but something interesting none the less.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:52 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,847,969 times
Chris Hawthorne got a glimpse of the rendering and said "I was given exclusive access to the competition proposals a few weeks ago, before Broad made a final decision and there is no doubt that the Diller Scofidio design contains the seeds of a canny, theatrical and high-energy piece of architecture."

Old 08-24-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Chris Hawthorne got a glimpse of the rendering and said "I was given exclusive access to the competition proposals a few weeks ago, before Broad made a final decision and there is no doubt that the Diller Scofidio design contains the seeds of a canny, theatrical and high-energy piece of architecture."
Sounds interesting; hopefully Broad will approve the design.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:01 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Just what everyone is waiting for a private collector wanting his own building to showcase his own collection of so called 'important' post-modern/contemporary-in-relation-to-the-former-work.

I-am-so-elated.

Well...you can rest easy. It's being built with private money and you can just never go there.

I think the orig. Grand Ave plan had the site pegged for retail. There are plenty of shopping malls in LA. I'll take a new museum over that anyday.

I hope Hawthorne's impressions of the design (as posted by LA Sam) are realized when it is completed.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Well...you can rest easy. It's being built with private money and you can just never go there.

I think the orig. Grand Ave plan had the site pegged for retail. There are plenty of shopping malls in LA. I'll take a new museum over that anyday.

I hope Hawthorne's impressions of the design (as posted by LA Sam) are realized when it is completed.
It'll probably be a good trip for a laugh.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
It'll probably be a good trip for a laugh.
Just because you hate contemporary art doesn't mean the museum will be a laugh Frankly I am not a huge museum fan myself [old or new art] but I did really enjoy visiting the Getty Villa outside Santa Monica recently.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Just because you hate contemporary art doesn't mean the museum will be a laugh Frankly I am not a huge museum fan myself [old or new art] but I did really enjoy visiting the Getty Villa outside Santa Monica recently.
Well, I wouldn't make a strong statement of hating contemporary art, which I find to be an odd word used to describe art, I'm willing to be surprise. I do however think most of what's out there, that I know of, is crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles