Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:25 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,437 times

Advertisements

It was announced today that the Broad Art Museum will be built in Downtown LA near the Disney Concert Hall.

Santa Monica and Beverly Hills were in the running but in the end philanthropist/billionaire Eli Broad selected the downtown location. The museum is expected to open in 2012.

Broad Art Museum Approved by CRA :: blogdowntown

On the very same day, the groundbreaking for the new 16-acre civic park was held. The park (part of the now stalled Grand Ave project) is expected to be completed in about 2 years. The park will link Grand Ave with City Hall with public spaces and landscaping.

Civic Park in downtown Los Angeles beginning to take shape - latimes.com

I'd say downtown is pretty fortunate to be getting such high profile projects moving in the middle of some very tough economic times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,847,969 times
Getting this museum coupled with the other cultural institutions already on Bunker Hill will really help to make this a focal point of the city. I just hope this park is executed well... I'm a little concerned because of the cross streets that effectively dissect the park into smaller pieces.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:44 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
It's good news that another museum will be built downtown but I read several weeks ago that the building design Broad wants is not very interesting [nothing as spectacular as the Disney Hall]. The park should be another nice improvement.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Getting this museum coupled with the other cultural institutions already on Bunker Hill will really help to make this a focal point of the city. I just hope this park is executed well... I'm a little concerned because of the cross streets that effectively dissect the park into smaller pieces.
if the signals are timed properly to favor pedestrians over cars (like at the 3rd St Promenade), i doubt the 'dissecting' will be an issue.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It's good news that another museum will be built downtown but I read several weeks ago that the building design Broad wants is not very interesting [nothing as spectacular as the Disney Hall]. The park should be another nice improvement.
I guess we shall see. I don't think you'd want something as "far out" as Disney Hall since the museum site is directly across the street.

Pretty challenging assignment for any architect under normal circumstances...throw in a Gehry designed landmark building next door and the pressure really builds.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post

Yes, the streets and the grade changes make it a challenge to create a cohesive space. I'd like to see more green space but I am glad to see it moving forward....

Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
I guess we shall see. I don't think you'd want something as "far out" as Disney Hall since the museum site is directly across the street.

Pretty challenging assignment for any architect under normal circumstances...throw in a Gehry designed landmark building next door and the pressure really builds.
I agree that a building anything like the Disney might look sort of strange but Broad has settled on a design many feel is a bit bland. There was an article about how he is a bit of a control freak and hard to work with. But he has been a huge contributor to Los Angeles' art scene for many years and his own museum will be a big plus for downtown.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:35 AM

450 posts, read 1,407,678 times
I don't think the design for Broad's museum has been released yet. How does anybody have an opinion on it yet when the renderings aren't out and he only recently hired an architect??? Overall, should be wonderful for downtown. Much better than the ugly parking lot that makes the concert hall seem like an island isolated from the rest of downtown. This should bring tourists and more culture downtown and help connect this part of Bunker Hill to the rest of downtown.

The park looks nice too. Maybe not the right time to try to do a park with $ problems, but it does look like an improvement. There should be open space though for people to throw a football, frisbee, etc... instead of just trees.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
I don't think the design for Broad's museum has been released yet. How does anybody have an opinion on it yet when the renderings aren't out and he only recently hired an architect??? Overall, should be wonderful for downtown. Much better than the ugly parking lot that makes the concert hall seem like an island isolated from the rest of downtown. This should bring tourists and more culture downtown and help connect this part of Bunker Hill to the rest of downtown.

The park looks nice too. Maybe not the right time to try to do a park with $ problems, but it does look like an improvement. There should be open space though for people to throw a football, frisbee, etc... instead of just trees.
"Broad hopes to add to that list by hiring a top-tier architect for a museum on Bunker Hill holding his own extensive art collection, the first art museum built downtown since architect Arata Isozaki's 1986 Museum of Contemporary Art. (As MOCA's founding chairman, Broad had a hand in that one too.) After a private competition, Broad is leaning toward a design by New York's Diller Scofidio + Renfro.

For all of Broad's consistent prominence on the public stage in recent years, the buildings he has helped develop make up a disparate, even contradictory group. They don't reflect a single aesthetic vision or chart the growth of a few chosen architects over time. If the buildings have any common thread, in fact, it is disappointment: Broad has collaborated with some of the most talented firms in the world, to be sure. But he has also overseen some of their least impressive work".

Eli Broad: L.A.'s peripatetic patron - Los Angeles Times

Old 07-16-2010, 02:55 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Awesome, I like it! The rebirth of DTLA is in full effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles