Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:20 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
It'll probably be a good trip for a laugh.
Well...no less a laugh than trying to find even ONE major art museum in or near Oil City, PA where you've apparently given thought to relocating. That is a good 100 miles north of Pittsburgh.....good luck.

Oil City, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Well...no less a laugh than trying to find even ONE major art museum in or near Oil City, PA where you've apparently given thought to relocating. That is a good 100 miles north of Pittsburgh.....good luck.

Oil City, PA
I'm sorry, but could you please explain the logic behind that correlation? You're assuming that I want to live near a 'major art museum' because I've been looking into remote cities? Or are you trying hard to criticize me because I criticized a museum in Los Angeles? I live in the central valley, the nearest 'major museum' to me is The Getty, 2 and a half hours away from me, at least.

Go ahead check it out, all my posts, most have been inquiring about really small cities.

You sir are grasping at straws. Try again.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Quote:

Oil City, PA
Hope it isn't like Oil City California [population 800], suburb of Oildale [pop: 28,000] which is a suburb of Bakersfield. Current temperature: 102F

Old 08-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but could you please explain the logic behind that correlation? You're assuming that I want to live near a 'major art museum' because I've been looking into remote cities? Or are you trying hard to criticize me because I criticized a museum in Los Angeles? I live in the central valley, the nearest 'major museum' to me is The Getty, 2 and a half hours away from me, at least.

Go ahead check it out, all my posts, most have been inquiring about really small cities.

You sir are grasping at straws. Try again.
Ok...now I am laughing even harder as you take pot shots at podunk LA's terrible art museums from some great metropolis in the central valley.

Los Angeles certainly isn't New York when it comes to modern art museums but it's got a pretty solid grouping for a city that had next to nothing as recently as 1960.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Ok...now I am laughing even harder as you take pot shots at podunk LA's terrible art museums from some great metropolis in the central valley.
Does laughing harder make your ad hominems more logical? I hope for you it does because that statement alone is failing terribly at you trying to take shots at me.

What's even funnier is when someone thinks that criticizing an aspect of the city they inhabit is the same as criticizing the person. You still haven't explained your 'argument' of me wanting to be near a 'major museum' because I thought of moving to a small city/town.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Does laughing harder make your ad hominems more logical? I hope for you it does because that statement alone is failing terribly at you trying to take shots at me.

What's even funnier is when someone thinks that criticizing an aspect of the city they inhabit is the same as criticizing the person. You still haven't explained your 'argument' of me wanting to be near a 'major museum' because I thought of moving to a small city/town.
Well....sure you are free to be critical anything or any city be it Paris, France or Paris, Texas.

It's just that the intensity of your dislike for LA's art museums suggested you are the kind of person that would like to visit them often. Maybe even to live close to such institutions.

I've not met many culture snobs in the central valley......mostly mid-town Manhattan or Brentwood for that matter.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Well....sure you are free to be critical anything or any city be it Paris, France or Paris, Texas.

It's just that the intensity of your dislike for LA's art museums suggested you are the kind of person that would like to visit them often. Maybe even to live close to such institutions.

I've not met many culture snobs in the central valley......mostly mid-town Manhattan or Brentwood for that matter.
Well to clarify, I've only been criticizing LACMA and their new contemporary museum. There was another thread about dowtown LA, I spoke highly of the Norton Simon. I'll even say that the Hammer Museum has a pretty nice collection for the size of the museum and on rare occasions they do hold a nice contemporary exhibition. The Getty has a fairly nice collection as well, not to mention the exquisite architecture of the museum; some time ago they held a small Rembrandt exhibition which I thought was wonderful. As much as I may compare LA's museums to NYC's museums as not being quite up to par, they have their fair share of bad ones; although not museums, the Chelsea area is littered with what I think is bad art, which isn't to say all. I'll even add Chicago Museum of Art has its bad sections.

I wouldn't say I'm from the central valley, my primary upbringing was in Orange County (20 something years), but even then I didn't consider myself a part of OC as much as OC is generally depicted.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:57 PM

I'll add that, yes I am rather particular about art and coming across as a snob is fine with me. And I wouldn't necessarily correlate art with culture, just check out SFMOMA, I'll probably get heat for that but whatever.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,454,450 times
Quote:
Los Angeles certainly isn't New York when it comes to modern art museums but it's got a pretty solid grouping for a city that had next to nothing as recently as 1960.
My quoting you here is only meant as a general defense of L.A.'s cultural history because that's true, but not really true. L.A. is very strong in contemporary art and has been for decades. It was one of the loci for Pop Art in the '60s along with NYC and London. After all, Andy Warhol's very first show was in Los Angeles and there was a reason for it. The city's fostered lots of contemporary artists, and movements, from Ed Ruscha to Robert Williams to so many other names well-known in the art world. No one in that world would diminish Los Angeles' contribution to it, and it flummoxes me that the popular imagination can't seem to accept L.A. as an art capital, I guess because it doesn't "seem" like an "art capital", maybe because it doesn't feel "stodgy" enough...? For contemporary art, particularly Pop Art, that attitude is very ironic. I just wanted to put that out there, though.

Now, not everyone likes contemporary art. That's fine. There are other art forms that don't do it for me either, but if they have an audience then let 'em build venues for 'em! I might check 'em out!

On topic, if the Grand Avenue project can finally get underway that will be an amazing corridor. I've seen renderings of the Gehry designed hotel and it would be a perfect complement to Disney Hall.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Bunjee, well said. Bra-vo. Despite my general indifference towards Warhol, Rushca, and Williams, reps to you; particularly for bringing up irony in those movements, I would even extend that idea to Post-Modernism and Contemporary artistic ideas, generally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles