Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,238,913 times

Advertisements

Ah, reality. Nothing like it. If you try to tag L.A. as unseemly, so be it, but every great city (at least in this country) wasn't born clean. Our scandals are amplified because of 'Hollywood' but we are not alone, just higher profile. And its a cycle that feeds writers and moviegoers: Black Dahlia, Manson, 'The Changeling', Wonderland, St. Francis Dam Disaster, it goes on and on. And it will continue to be remade and re-written/adapted for decades to come.

And 'disgusting', 'disrespectful' Brentwood? Nothing more than a blip on the radar screen- or another screenplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
We never promised you anything, so why on earth have you turned our neighborhoods into soul-less places of people who seem to enjoy acting in an obnoxious and disgusting manner from the neighborhood of respect and courtesy that I grew up in? (I.e., O.J. Simpson, who single-handedly destroyed my and my family's neighborhood.) Brentwood used to be a lovely place to live.

yeah, brentwood, last time i was there, i was jumped for my lipgloss by a gang of designer princesses who beat me with their expensive handbags. i mean, huh? you live in brentwood and OJ dragged it down? dude, LA has ALWAYS been filled with murderers and cults and weirdness. where have you been? maybe you ought to stay behind your security fence. about the most dangerous thing about brentwood is the teenagers with too much money texting on their cell phones while driving their expensive convertibles. rich people murdering other rich people happens everywhere. if you had said you lived in the santa susanna pass and you said that charlie manson had dragged the neighborhood down maybe i could see your point. except, like everywhere in LA, you can't find a single corner where there hasn't been a body drop or a murder or a scandal or some weird cult blowing themselves up. LA was and always will be built on corruption, dastardly deeds and did i say corruption? pretending that there was some sort of untouched gentile innocent corner of this city is denying its entire history. even when things seemed innocent back in the post-war days, it was only innocent because of a land developer's screwing over the farmers up north to steal their water to feed all those palatial, innocent, peaceful front yards. if that is lapping on your doorstep in brentwood, seems like karma to me.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 PM

422 posts, read 793,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmov View Post
call me crazy, but wow, after writing on several forums i got pretty enraged at living here. i HATE IT HERE. OMFG.

wow.

it's a soulless, polluted, heartless, boring, overrated, residential, consumerist size-of-a-european-country deathtrap, where everyone is very individualistic, thinks they're very cool, potentially living 300 miles from one another, while being in the same f*cking county.

the only thing i like is:

1) the canyons (laurel, benedict, topanga, las virgenes, kanan-malibu)
2) sushi.

i'm so over this place.

anyone on the same page?
Sounds like SD would be much better area for you.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,356,647 times
Ah, reality. Nothing like it. If you try to tag L.A. as unseemly, so be it, but every great city (at least in this country) wasn't born clean.

Yeppers. hell, look at any interesting city in the country. now look at the crime rate. call me crazy, but there is SOME correlation? go to a place where nothing bad happens. the good news is that nothing bad happens. the bad news is is that NOTHING HAPPENS.

and dougstech's observation is astute. sushi in SD, however, will be a challenge.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:48 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,328,107 times
I've always hated LA with a passion. It's nice to visit once in a while and go to a nice restaurant but other then that it's San Diego for me all the way.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 PM

15 posts, read 9,933 times
I agree with Oerdin, San Diego is a much better area overall than LA. SD is cleaner, safer, more laid back. If you like the big big city life, than LA might be for you, but that life comes with drawbacks as well like traffic, smog, pollution, trash, homeless etc. I like LA, but wouldn't live there. I like that LA has beautiful beaches and I also like the restaurants and entertainment.

Last edited by 6194life; 09-12-2010 at 11:52 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 AM

749 posts, read 1,865,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I've always hated LA with a passion. It's nice to visit once in a while and go to a nice restaurant but other then that it's San Diego for me all the way.
You and nearly everyone else in San Diego. The difference between LA folks and San Diego folks: We (in LA) see no need to tell San Diego what is wrong with it (yes, even San Diego has flaws).

We get it....there is no envy there, right? We read on the LA fourm on a regular basis from San Diegans who find if necessary to tell LA what is so very wrong with LA.

If life is so pleasant down there...why are you so busy telling us what you don't like about LA?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 PM

301 posts, read 641,099 times
The reason I hate LA is because its a dump. I had higher hopes for the self proclaimed Entertainment Capital of the world. Coming from NY I now know why New Yorkers dont respect LA. Why give respect to a city that doesnt deserve it?
The economy failed, pollution is crazy there, theres as large illegal problem, higher costs for getting podunk and mediocre everything, uncivilized and zoo mannered people, very non professional like.
LA is a 3rd world dump, SF is the true city in California, even SD is nice. LA is just unattractive suburban waste.

Good luck getting that pit you call a city back on track, the rest of the country laughs at it anyways for the failure it is.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 PM

6 posts, read 4,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
The reason I hate LA is because its a dump. I had higher hopes for the self proclaimed Entertainment Capital of the world. Coming from NY I now know why New Yorkers dont respect LA. Why give respect to a city that doesnt deserve it?
The economy failed, pollution is crazy there, theres as large illegal problem, higher costs for getting podunk and mediocre everything, uncivilized and zoo mannered people, very non professional like.
LA is a 3rd world dump, SF is the true city in California, even SD is nice. LA is just unattractive suburban waste.

Good luck getting that pit you call a city back on track, the rest of the country laughs at it anyways for the failure it is.
I am not from L.A. nor NYC. However, I can say, from an unbiased perspective, I would MUCH rather be in Los Angeles. The economy in NYC is nothing spectacular. Who cares if there are lots of immigrants in L.A.? You being from NYC are probably a descendant of immigrants as well, most of whom did NOT come to this country with papers. While I do enjoy visiting NYC and eating the food and going to Times Square and Ellis Island and Brooklyn, I could never live there. It is extremely densely populated and you pay a ton of money for a tiny studio apartment. It is also impossible to buy groceries at a reasonable price, nor other goods such as paper towels, plates, etc. for a small sum like you find in a big box store. LA has such stores. NYC is WAY more expensive than L.A. in housing, food, and basic goods.

For people that pride themselves on having a great public transit system, most NYers are overweight, while in L.A. this is not the case. L.A. also has much better weather. The varied topography and climate is also nice. Within 90 minutes, you can be at the beach, in the valley sweating, in the desert, or in the mountains. Can't do that in NY!

To be quite fair, most of LA is well maintained. The streets are for the most part clean, the sidewalks well maintained, and there are parks everywhere. Hard to find a clean and smoke free park in NYC, that is usually littered with garbage.

But to each is own. That's why 18 million people call the NYC metro home, and 15 million call the LA Metro home. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't like it. True, NYC is more desirable to live for the masses, but not for everyone. Being from a large city myself, I would choose L.A. just based on my lifestyle.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 PM

301 posts, read 641,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacason12 View Post
I am not from L.A. nor NYC. However, I can say, from an unbiased perspective, I would MUCH rather be in Los Angeles. The economy in NYC is nothing spectacular. Who cares if there are lots of immigrants in L.A.? You being from NYC are probably a descendant of immigrants as well, most of whom did NOT come to this country with papers. While I do enjoy visiting NYC and eating the food and going to Times Square and Ellis Island and Brooklyn, I could never live there. It is extremely densely populated and you pay a ton of money for a tiny studio apartment. It is also impossible to buy groceries at a reasonable price, nor other goods such as paper towels, plates, etc. for a small sum like you find in a big box store. LA has such stores. NYC is WAY more expensive than L.A. in housing, food, and basic goods.

For people that pride themselves on having a great public transit system, most NYers are overweight, while in L.A. this is not the case. L.A. also has much better weather. The varied topography and climate is also nice. Within 90 minutes, you can be at the beach, in the valley sweating, in the desert, or in the mountains. Can't do that in NY!

To be quite fair, most of LA is well maintained. The streets are for the most part clean, the sidewalks well maintained, and there are parks everywhere. Hard to find a clean and smoke free park in NYC, that is usually littered with garbage.

But to each is own. That's why 18 million people call the NYC metro home, and 15 million call the LA Metro home. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't like it. True, NYC is more desirable to live for the masses, but not for everyone. Being from a large city myself, I would choose L.A. just based on my lifestyle.
You realize how much of your post is a large fib?
First of all the economy in NY is infinitely better than LA. NY is looking at 1.43 Trillion dollars of GDP, LA is 866 Billion. No comparison. NY's per capita income is $64,474, LA's is $50,333. Again no comparison. NY's unemployment rate is 9.1%, LA's is 12.6%. US average is 9.7%. Again no comparison.
Again wrong, 22 million people call NY area home. 17 million for LA. NY is slightly more expensive, but the taxes aren't like LA's.

Public transit is for poor people, I dont touch such filth like that. And NY is not an overweight city, show me where it says that NY is.
You realize NY has beaches too, right? There are beaches in Queens, Bronx, and Long Island. So yes you can do that in NY. And you are bragging about going to the desert? Really is that all you LA people have to say, that we have a desert and NY doesn't. This is why everyone laughs at you.
NY is more maintained than LA, visit it and see for yourself first before making claims like that. LA looks 3rd world. End of discussion.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 PM

749 posts, read 1,865,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post

Public transit is for poor people, I dont touch such filth like that.

NY is more maintained than LA, visit it and see for yourself first before making claims like that. LA looks 3rd world. End of discussion.
I have lived in NYC....I have no agenda to prove one is better or worse than the other. They are both great in their own way.

I have no problem riding the mass transit in NYC....it's one of the city's great attributes. Yes, with all the huddled masses. Your attitude speaks volumes about you. Glad that you are back in NYC....life is too short to waste it on people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles