Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmov View Post

it's a soulless, polluted, heartless, boring, overrated, residential, consumerist size-of-a-european-country deathtrap, where everyone is very individualistic, thinks they're very cool, potentially living 300 miles from one another, while being in the same ******* county.
Now that was a first class rant!!

Last edited by Count David; 12-18-2012 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: profane in quote

Old 07-16-2010, 05:18 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
People are always looking for something to make them happy; new job, new hobby, new place to live. And at times people will hate on things to justify their own decisions.

I also tend to think that when a place elicits strong reactions then it has more to do about the person than the place. I've been there.

At first, coming from the L.A. suburbs, then living on the westside, then the 'east,' I never really liked the city but it ended up growing on me.

Yes the air sucks and traffic is horrible, but there are tons of things to do, not everyone is a d-bag and the city itself is a unique blend of people and culture. (Albeit most are transplants, which is another peeve for another post...)

I just love stopping off at my favorite makeshift taco stand in East Los; taking the subway to Phillipe's, or driving up to The Oinkster; (notice how most of my activities involve food?) that's just something that you may not experience anywhere else.

But anyway I honestly think some of your points have merit and others, well, I don't know, sound irrational and not at all aligned to the reality of the city.

This is the most multidimensional city I think, on the planet. And although I too have a love/hate relationship with it, one would be a fool not to notice the things it does offer.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmov View Post
lol. that was bitchy. but yeah.. i'm on top of the whole moving out thing
The most important thing to remember, not everyplace is right for everyone. I am sure there are others that feel the way you do, depending on where in the city you live, but there are many who love So California and do take offense or get very defensive when someone posts something like this.

I certainly can understand both sides or the coin, I love where I live and get really pissed when people blast away, especially a few on these threads who know nothing about AR, but I also know there are people who hate living here and those who should never consider living here.

I hope you get a chance to leave and someone moves in to replace you that loves Los Angeles.

Nita

Old 07-16-2010, 07:10 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,615 times
I'm sure a change of location will solve all of your problems!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Can someone from the U.S. go to college in Montreal and not have to pay a huge tuition? Canada sounds really nice. Better brush up on your French.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:42 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
My husband feels the same say about Boston (and I'm not too far behind him). And, yet, we both love LA. Everywhere is someone elses hell and/or paradise.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Good luck to you in Montreal. Thanks for bashing our city on the way out.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 AM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
Montreal is a wonderful city. One winter there and you might be missing home big time though.

Go give it a try....though you might find life difficult as an illegal immigrant. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
The OP is young and about to start independent life. Brash attitudes are to be expected from youth. But if you get involved in the arts I'm sure you'll encounter people who meet your requirements for culture and depth.

But Montreal is a fantastic town. Don't let anyone cow you about winter weather. You get used to it; there's nothing superhuman about living with snow.

I did notice in your other thread that you intend to study linguistics. One of the standard prerequisites is some background in languages outside the Indo-European family. Of course, there is the Asian, Middle-Eastern and African presence in Montreal, but don't dismiss the wealth of opportunity for such learning right here at home. Would these communities be too shallow for you to interact with?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:37 PM

25 posts, read 94,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
One of the standard prerequisites is some background in languages outside the Indo-European family. Of course, there is the Asian, Middle-Eastern and African presence in Montreal, but don't dismiss the wealth of opportunity for such learning right here at home. Would these communities be too shallow for you to interact with?
I took all I can from here, lol.
I'm russian, so I speak it on a native level. additionally, I know spanish and french quite fluently (and no, not "fluently" but ACTUALLY fluently [got a 5 on both AP tests], and i have absolutely no problem learning more languages, if it means i have to do so in order to satisfy the major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles