Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 AM

24 posts, read 72,784 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have a job offer in Encino on Ventura Blvd. The company I work for is transferring me from our Birmingham Alabama office to here. I work in the engineering technology field and have been awaiting for this to open up for almost a year. I have heard that it makes sense to live as close to your job as possible because of traffic.

We have visited San Francisco, San Diego also North Hollywood. We like all aforementioned places for different reasons. It's just time for us to get out of the South.

Could someone please offer suggestions as to nearby areas that would be a good place to rent for the 1st year? Also perhaps areas to avoid and why. I was hoping for a two bedroom in the $1500-$1700 range for myself and my wife. We will have a car.

My employer is paying for the relocation/move from Alabama as soon as our home here sells. BTW we are in our mid 30's and my wife enjoys alot of outdoor activities (walking, etc.) me, not so much.

Thank you to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Encino, Sherman Oaks will have lots of amenities and some night life. Also Tarzana. Anything further up (east or west) the 101 or Ventura Blvd is probably unnecessarily far. Heading north towards Van Nuys and the neighborhoods become less dynamic though cheaper. While it is a generalization, the further south you are in that area of the valley, the more desirable it becomes. This is reflected by the rent and housing prices.

Could you get away with a one bedroom?

Try HousingMaps for an idea of rents.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,576 times
All of the following areas are "nice" and relatively close to Encino:

-Sherman Oaks
-Tarzana
-Woodland Hills/Warner Center

Of course, Enicno is a nice area to consider as well.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM

22 posts, read 108,348 times
I second the suggestions by SoCal35. Personally, I think your wife may really like Sherman Oaks, which is a blend of suburban living in a denser, more urban/suburban environment. (By suburban I mean, the apartments are larger, they come with parking, you'll find there is parking everywhere. Ugh to this urban planner.) Anyway, look around Ventura/Van Nuys, maybe south of the Boulevard -- but not too far, since you'll want to be able to walk up to Ventura and its amenities, like restaurants and markets.

--Sirinya

Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM

24 posts, read 72,784 times
Thank You guys/gals, I really appreciate the input!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,566 times
If you want an area with a bit more upscale suburban (although a somewhat sterile for my tastes) look into Calabasas. It's very clean & safe & posh. And the drive eastward into Encino isn't all that bad.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:12 PM

28 posts, read 111,026 times
Default few more tips

I live at Lindley and Ventura in Encino. Encino neighborhood is heavily populated by jewish people and they also have couple of synagogues in the area. I totally agree with the comment of price vs neighborhood relationship as you go north from ventura blvd. The balboa park are is nice but personally I would live in sherman oaks. Its just that my wife had to go to CSUN and so we had to be close to university. Regarding traffic I would highly recommend living east of Encino than West. In the morning the traffic is totally clogged up heading east on 101 and vice vesa in the evening. And by morning I mean 7 am not 8:30. Also if you will be visiting LA often on weekends I would recommend living close to a train station so you dont have to deal with the traffic. What else...hmm... Los Angeles Apartments, Orange County Apartments, and San Diego Apartments have the biggest database of available rentals. You can purchase a subscription from someone at craigslist for half the price if you want to save money. I hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,634,297 times
I had my parents up in Van Nuys for a few weeks. They REALLY loved Studio City and Sherman Oaks.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,487,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have a job offer in Encino on Ventura Blvd. The company I work for is transferring me from our Birmingham Alabama office to here. I work in the engineering technology field and have been awaiting for this to open up for almost a year. I have heard that it makes sense to live as close to your job as possible because of traffic.

We have visited San Francisco, San Diego also North Hollywood. We like all aforementioned places for different reasons. It's just time for us to get out of the South.

Could someone please offer suggestions as to nearby areas that would be a good place to rent for the 1st year? Also perhaps areas to avoid and why. I was hoping for a two bedroom in the $1500-$1700 range for myself and my wife. We will have a car.

My employer is paying for the relocation/move from Alabama as soon as our home here sells. BTW we are in our mid 30's and my wife enjoys alot of outdoor activities (walking, etc.) me, not so much.

Thank you to all.
Okay, as a professional leasing consultant in Van Nuys I can tell you from my personal experience that Sherman Oaks is your best option in this area. However, if you don't mind driving a bit further to work and want to live in a very safe, beautiful area, try Simi Valley, especially the Villas at Wood Ranch or Shadow Ridge. Lots of hiking trails and incredibly landscaped parks in the area, and just a 5 minute drive to the 101 freeway, which will get you to work.

I live in Van Nuys, work in Van Nuys, and my job requires me to SELL Van Nuys to people, but I am on vacation now so I can sell any damn area I choose, LOL! For the record, my official escape from Van Nuys back to Simi Valley is in October. Avoid Van Nuys at all costs!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Okay, as a professional leasing consultant in Van Nuys I can tell you from my personal experience that Sherman Oaks is your best option in this area. However, if you don't mind driving a bit further to work and want to live in a very safe, beautiful area, try Simi Valley, especially the Villas at Wood Ranch or Shadow Ridge. Lots of hiking trails and incredibly landscaped parks in the area, and just a 5 minute drive to the 101 freeway, which will get you to work.
And put you through nightmarish traffic....

Quote:
I live in Van Nuys, work in Van Nuys, and my job requires me to SELL Van Nuys to people
If your target audience is recent immigrants, recently released prisoners, and drug addicts, then you'd have a great deal of success in selling Van Nuys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles