Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
I'm sorry but bars over windows look so tacky. I guess I would do that if I had a lot of break-ins, but so far (knock on wood), I haven't had any problems. My security system is through Brinks, who renamed themselves Broadview and I heard were recently purchased by ADT. So far, the service seems the same and I like Brinks. Good quality stuff.
It depends. My mother owns a house in Simi Valley in a nice neighborhood and all the windows are barred, and they look fine. However I've seen houses in seedy neighborhoods that looked really tacky.

The ultimate tackiness I've seen is a house with 8 foot tall chain fence completely surrounding it, even in the front yard right up to the sidewalk. Chain link fence??? Tacky, tacky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
California has a justifiable homicide(or castle doctrine) law that states that you are not required to retreat in case of a burglary and that lethal force is acceptable. It is conditional, though. In order to use lethal force, you must be threatened(perceived) with great bodily harm. If someone breaks in with a gun, that is justification. If someone breaks in with a wiffleball bat, that isn't.
That's pretty much it. You can defend yourself (even with lethal force) if you or your family/friends are threatened by great bodily harm. Risk of getting punched out would qualify in my opinion as great bodily harm. Risk of getting punched out by somebody 10 feet away would not.

Quote:
As far as handguns, it is a poor idea to defend your home with a handgun because it requires precision aiming and lower calibers don't have great stopping power. Handgun bans have been overturned as unconstitutional as well, earlier this year. If you're using an unlicensed weapon I'm sure you'll still get in trouble though. I don't think shotguns require a license
Requires precision aiming? Anybody who can't hit the middle of a perpetrator's body (chest) from close quarters shouldn't be handling a gun. Multiple shots are generally how you address stopping power issues (i.e. "double tap" or as many as it takes).

We don't have gun licenses here. You're supposed to register your guns but IMO even that would not be a problem unless the gun was stolen. You are legally allowed to have any kind of handguns, rifles or shotguns as long as the weapons themselves are legal weapons. We can thank our Constitution for that. Of course you have to keep these weapons in your home or follow legally required procedures when you transport them.

Quote:
/I am not a lawyer, I am not giving advice that should be taken that way
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:54 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It depends. My mother owns a house in Simi Valley in a nice neighborhood and all the windows are barred, and they look fine. However I've seen houses in seedy neighborhoods that looked really tacky.

The ultimate tackiness I've seen is a house with 8 foot tall chain fence completely surrounding it, even in the front yard right up to the sidewalk. Chain link fence??? Tacky, tacky!
What color are her bars? Are they black, white, what? Gotta have the right color bars so it can blend in with whatever color the house is.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:05 PM

Black bars, and kind of beige exterior (with red roof tiles) so typical of Simi Valley. I don't know why the bars don't stand out but they don't.

My mother was a widow living alone for several years and got the bars installed then. There's no way to break in that house without smashing the patio sliding glass doors or kicking in the front door. In a safe community like Simi Valley that's almost total security.

They remind me of Spanish iron work.

I've seen other houses elsewhere that looked like inside-out jails.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Black bars, and kind of beige exterior (with red roof tiles) so typical of Simi Valley. I don't know why the bars don't stand out but they don't.

My mother was a widow living alone for several years and got the bars installed then. There's no way to break in that house without smashing the patio sliding glass doors or kicking in the front door. In a safe community like Simi Valley that's almost total security.

They remind me of Spanish iron work.

I've seen other houses elsewhere that looked like inside-out jails.
Then maybe steel doors for the front and back would help. I told my mother to get one but she refuses because she thinks it's ghetto and tacky. It's funny because everybody on the block has one.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:14 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Then maybe steel doors for the front and back would help.
You know what .... i really like the idea of the steel "screen" doors. I usually don't leave my screen door open (front door), but I would love added cross breeze. I think they look tacky as well ... i live in a great neighborhood, but i wish i had one!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
You know what .... i really like the idea of the steel "screen" doors. I usually don't leave my screen door open (front door), but I would love added cross breeze. I think they look tacky as well ... i live in a great neighborhood, but i wish i had one!
Does everybody in the neighborhood have one? Someone did cut through a screen door of my old home once.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Then maybe steel doors for the front and back would help. I told my mother to get one but she refuses because she thinks it's ghetto and tacky. It's funny because everybody on the block has one.
It's not a problem and anyway my mom remarried to a guy who is a gun owner. And anyway they're moving to assisted living in the next 1-2 years. And anyway Simi Valley is one of the safest areas in the whole US (along with Thousand Oaks). It was only a problem when she was a woman living alone.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Does everybody in the neighborhood have one?
no, i dont see many around here. maybe on some apartments.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,273,111 times
In California Taurus Magnum Judge with super X and in Arizona FN 5.7 with SS190/SS191.
For electronic systems I use systems I design myself using Siemens components.
Dogs are the best first line defender but can be a great liability if they are not trained properly.

Last edited by impala666; 08-14-2010 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles