Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
California has a justifiable homicide(or castle doctrine) law that states that you are not required to retreat in case of a burglary and that lethal force is acceptable. It is conditional, though. In order to use lethal force, you must be threatened(perceived) with great bodily harm. If someone breaks in with a gun, that is justification. If someone breaks in with a wiffleball bat, that isn't.

As far as handguns, it is a poor idea to defend your home with a handgun because it requires precision aiming and lower calibers don't have great stopping power. Handgun bans have been overturned as unconstitutional as well, earlier this year. If you're using an unlicensed weapon I'm sure you'll still get in trouble though. I don't think shotguns require a license

/I am not a lawyer, I am not giving advice that should be taken that way
In this state we have a FULL "Castle Doctrine" It doesn't matter why they're in your house without invitation/permission, just that they're there. Not only can you shoot them but you may not be questioned nor sued for having taken them on. We also have a "must issue" policy for CCWs.

I happen to like handguns after spending 12 years in the military and eight in law enforcement. For my "house gun" I also like Crimson Trace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
Quote:

I'd also suggest a shotgun. Easy to use, requires very little aim, pump-action sound instills dread, and creates a whole mess of ugliness even when it's not lethal because of the number of wounds. And the gun and ammo are cheap and not subject to handgun laws.
Ditto! Racking a shell in the chamber is one of the loudest sounds in the world!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In this state we have a FULL "Castle Doctrine" It doesn't matter why they're in your house without invitation/permission, just that they're there. Not only can you shoot them but you may not be questioned nor sued for having taken them on. We also have a "must issue" policy for CCWs.
Perhaps I'm wrong but it's my understanding that Cailifornia is a "may issue" state not a "must issue" state. I hear that CCW permits are fairly difficult to get in Los Angeles and San Francisco, although not so difficult in rural areas.

You can't legally shoot somebody just "because they're there." There must be some perceived physical threat.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:12 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,771,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Perhaps I'm wrong but it's my understanding that Cailifornia is a "may issue" state not a "must issue" state. I hear that CCW permits are fairly difficult to get in Los Angeles and San Francisco, although not so difficult in rural areas.

You can't legally shoot somebody just "because they're there." There must be some perceived physical threat.
He might be talking about Misery

Old 08-14-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Perhaps so. One thing for sure, I'd never hurt anybody unless it came down to them hurting me or me hurting them. I sure hope it never gets to that.

I'd never hurt anybody over property, although I'd hope the police would be arriving soon.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Nice try, no cigar.

In CA, should you shoot an intruder, you can count on having your gun taken into evidence (read: never seeing it again) and being taken "downtown" for questioning (read: interrogation) and the burden of proof being placed on you that you were in fear of your life and/or property. All the breaker-and-enterer, if you're a bad shot, has to allege is that he was lost or some other such weak excuse and you'll likely be taken to trial. Even if you're exonerated, he and or his survivors (if you're a good shot) can sue you for "damages" in the civil courts.

It doesn't work that way here! It's nice to be back in America where a man's home is truly his castle! By the way, home break-ins and burglaries are relatively rare.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:06 PM

374 posts, read 693,729 times
Can we please move on from the ridiculous gun talk? Unless you're living in a serious drug-infested ghetto. If you are, my apologies--continue.

Curious where the OP lives. I, and nearly everyone I know who had a system, eventually decided they were more trouble than they were worth. Neighbors love it when the cat sets it off and you're in Palm Springs with your phone turned off. And the city will fine you for it too. Of course we all kept our yard sign and stickers on the windows. Insurance is probably cheaper and less of a headache.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:09 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Nice try, no cigar.

In certain parts of CA, such as the pantywaist, criminal-coddling hellholes known as Frisco, OC and L.A., should you shoot an intruder, you can count on having your gun taken into evidence (read: never seeing it again) and being taken "downtown" for questioning (read: interrogation) and the burden of proof being placed on you that you were in fear of your life and/or property.
I rewrote that for you to reflect the truth. Let's not tar with too wide a brush now.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
In CA, should you shoot an intruder, you can count on having your gun taken into evidence (read: never seeing it again) and being taken "downtown" for questioning (read: interrogation) and the burden of proof being placed on you that you were in fear of your life and/or property. All the breaker-and-enterer, if you're a bad shot, has to allege is that he was lost or some other such weak excuse and you'll likely be taken to trial. Even if you're exonerated, he and or his survivors (if you're a good shot) can sue you for "damages" in the civil courts.
I entirely agree. That's exactly what I would expect to happen if you shoot an intruder. That's why I said that you would have to be in serious fear of bodily harm before shooting. (If it happens I'll pick my least favorite firearm, not expecting to see it ever again.)

And it's a good reason to be accurate in your shooting. One story is always easier to reconcile than two stories. The perp should have thought of that before victimizing you (or me).

That's why it's good that we all can have guns. A perp never knows if a homeowner will shoot him dead. Unfortunately many/most perps don't think it out clearly enough, don't realize they could become dead.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
1. Can we please move on from the ridiculous gun talk? 2. Unless you're living in a serious drug-infested ghetto. If you are, my apologies--continue.

3. Curious where the OP lives. 4. I, and nearly everyone I know who had a system, eventually decided they were more trouble than they were worth. Neighbors love it when the cat sets it off and you're in Palm Springs with your phone turned off. And the city will fine you for it too. Of course we all kept our yard sign and stickers on the windows. 5. Insurance is probably cheaper and less of a headache.
1. It's not ridiculous if you need it.

2. Ghetto homes aren't usually the ones broken into unless drugs are involved. They are, however, susceptible to drive-bys like nicdfer homes are to burglaries.

3. Anaheim.

4. That's helpful!

5. As long as you're still around to commect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I rewrote that for you to reflect the truth. Let's not tar with too wide a brush now.
Yeah! I shoulda stuck with the main population centers, right? Oops, you named them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles