Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:41 PM

23 posts, read 54,455 times

Advertisements

I had a guy rub his bits up against me while standing behind me on a bus. I will never ride a bus again after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,195,928 times
read the posts, no answer, are the visitors male or female, makes a big difference.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:42 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,660,945 times
I don't think being a male or female makes that much of a difference. I rode the bus or train in LA almost every single day, including sometimes later at night; I never encountered any problems. Sometimes people hit on me, but that was the extent of any additional attention received because I am female.If they take the bus/train back home in London (or have any bare basics street smarts) they should be perfectly comfortable using it in LA.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 PM

126 posts, read 671,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think being a male or female makes that much of a difference.
makes a world of difference

Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,660,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domsey View Post
makes a world of difference
Well, we disagree on that point, or at least I should say that as a female I never have felt uncomfortable or threatened on a bus. I have sometimes felt uncomfortable waiting for the bus (in a few evening situations where I've been the only one at a stop in an area that didn't have a great deal of foot traffic), but that's been rare. My opinion, as a woman, is that women don't need to fear riding public transportation in LA. I wouldn't leave my basic safety street smarts behind, but that's true of any situation -- whether it's walking to the bus stop, on the bus, or walking to the car. I've felt far more uncomfortable in parking lots or garages than I ever have on the bus (although haven't personally encountered problems there, either.). If someone uses basic common sense then they're unlikely to encounter any problems. Yes, something COULD happen, but again, that's true of pretty much any situation in daily life. I agree that men and women are going to likely have different perceptions of problems and different concerns (and yes, maybe as a woman I am a little more sensitive about real or perceived dangers), but most riders of either gender are unlikely to encounter actual dangers.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:15 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,637,460 times
i have to agree.

the few conflicts (or near conflicts) i witnessed have always involved young black or brown MEN. and as i stated earlier, you have to be wary of certain areas, not the bus itself.
for example, lets say you take the Central bus south from vernon to manchester. thats a rough part of town. you better have some one waiting for you at the bus stop once you get off. male or female. and on the bus itself you might have to worry about the thugs. but really they leave most people alone, unless you look like a thug yourself. i seen it happen. they dont pick on lil old ladies, or even young ladies. they pick on other GUYS who might be in the wrong neighborhood, or who they suspect are trying to encroach on their turf.
women ride the bus and trains at all hours. they are more likely to run into problems blocks form their homes.

in the end, everyone needs to be vigilant, but no need to fear the public transportation system. it is our friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Well, we disagree on that point, or at least I should say that as a female I never have felt uncomfortable or threatened on a bus. I have sometimes felt uncomfortable waiting for the bus (in a few evening situations where I've been the only one at a stop in an area that didn't have a great deal of foot traffic), but that's been rare. My opinion, as a woman, is that women don't need to fear riding public transportation in LA. I wouldn't leave my basic safety street smarts behind, but that's true of any situation -- whether it's walking to the bus stop, on the bus, or walking to the car. I've felt far more uncomfortable in parking lots or garages than I ever have on the bus (although haven't personally encountered problems there, either.). If someone uses basic common sense then they're unlikely to encounter any problems. Yes, something COULD happen, but again, that's true of pretty much any situation in daily life. I agree that men and women are going to likely have different perceptions of problems and different concerns (and yes, maybe as a woman I am a little more sensitive about real or perceived dangers), but most riders of either gender are unlikely to encounter actual dangers.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 PM

274 posts, read 1,213,021 times
Thanks a lot guys- all very useful advice. So far they have been fine. They have gone to santa monica on blue bus today but seemed to find the metro pretty straight forward. They are enjoying seeing the city and exploring and i think it is important for young people to be as independent as possible and they are both street smart.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,637,460 times
wishing them the best.
this is an oft-discussed theme here on the LA forum. people think we have a garbage trans system. we dont really.

im glad to hear they are enjoying their time. ohhh to be a teen on holiday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonteacher View Post
Thanks a lot guys- all very useful advice. So far they have been fine. They have gone to santa monica on blue bus today but seemed to find the metro pretty straight forward. They are enjoying seeing the city and exploring and i think it is important for young people to be as independent as possible and they are both street smart.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 PM

274 posts, read 1,213,021 times
They were fine. No problems I can happily report.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,511,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonteacher View Post
They were fine. No problems I can happily report.
If they can handle London they can handle L.A. More problems on the Tube than on the Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles