Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:27 PM

214 posts, read 176,849 times

Advertisements

I would chose California over Illinois in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 03:38 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,157,010 times
This is the LA forum. Who gives a **** about Seattle and Minniapolis.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:32 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,219,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
This is the LA forum. Who gives a **** about Seattle and Minniapolis.
This particular thread invites discussion of other cities: Would you ever leave LA to live in the Midwest?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:32 PM

23 posts, read 29,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I can't image anyone from California moving to the Midwest unless they want a super boring lifestyle among people who are superstitious and seem to be more comfortable among the uneducated. No young person would ever want to live in such a repressive and backward environment.
just because it's a slower pace in Ohio doesn't mean the people are slow and the area is repressive.
That statement reveals your ignorance.
To be honest, I find more people in California to be ignorant and uneducated than I did in the Midwest.
They can't even point out where Ohio is on a map!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
As an Irvine resident who has lived in the Midwest, this post is (almost) spot freakin' on.

People from Seattle and Minneapolis are both very superficially polite and I enjoy meeting and talking to people from both cities honestly, but their Scandinavian heritages can probably make it difficult to really warm up to people for a long time (or vice versa).

But to fit your description, what you say about Minneapolis actually describes another Midwest city, Louisville, KY. Buncha arseholes those people were when I lived there, and the inferiority/superiority complex they have when comparing theirselves to surrounding cities is simply bazaar.
Superior to Paducah. Inferior to Cincinnati...right? LOL!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3350 View Post
just because it's a slower pace in Ohio doesn't mean the people are slow and the area is repressive.
That statement reveals your ignorance.
To be honest, I find more people in California to be ignorant and uneducated than I did in the Midwest.
They can't even point out where Ohio is on a map!
I also agree it reveals ignorance. Heck, drive out east of greater LA through Mojave, Barstow and Baker, etc. Those are far less educated and more backwards than almost anywhere in the Midwest....and far more boring, too.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Minneapolis= seattle of the midwest.

Dreary, isolated, snobby, and upset that the rest of the country does not give them a second glance.

You naturally resorted to name calling and put down tactics. That usually means a poster is afraid/insecure that their argument on its own merits is not convincing others. It also reveals more about person posting than anything else. Odds are few people posting on the thread will move to either city and of couse neither city has to worry about becoming a ghost town any time soon. LOL! It is still fun to discuss. So let's agree to disagree with class. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:57 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,458,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Spoken like someone who took the bus to school.

I walked to school.

Nothing fun about getting out of the shower, and going to school when its 20 degrees.

The fun wore off for me around puberty, though it was fun when I was very little.

I took a bus regularly for only two years. Other than that, I mostly biked.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 PM

428 posts, read 850,575 times
I grew up in So-Cal and live in the south now. Answer no I would not rather live in the Midwest instead of Los Angeles.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,179,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
As an Irvine resident who has lived in the Midwest, this post is (almost) spot freakin' on.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I don't think MN is dreary per se, though your other comments seem spot on,
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
You naturally resorted to name calling and put down tactics. That usually means a poster is afraid/insecure that their argument on its own merits is not convincing others. It also reveals more about person posting than anything else. Odds are few people posting on the thread will move to either city and of couse neither city has to worry about becoming a ghost town any time soon. LOL! It is still fun to discuss. So let's agree to disagree with class. Thanks.
I'm from Chicaga. I tells it like it is, and you sit there and take it. THE END.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
How is that much different than Chicago locals who ask what neighborhood you grew up in?
Locals from any large city ask what neighborhood you grew up in. From SF to NY. Asking what high school you went to is small town. In Chicago no one does this because, 1) a good chunk of people did not grow up there 2) No one gives a ****.

Quote:
Some of the older Catholic Chicagoans still even identify themselves and others by what parish you're from.
No they don't. Now you're just making stuff up.If you asked whether people did that in the Chicago forum, they would tell you that you are wrong (as usual). No one born in the 40's or 50's does that. Besides, telling someone what neighborhood you are from would probably dictate the parish anyways.

Quote:
Not sure if LA-Irvine is a good analogy to Chicago-Minneapolis, as Irvine is essentially part of the greater LA metro area. Maybe comparing LA-San Diego would be a better comparison to Chicago-Minneapolis.
I could not care less what you are sure of. Irivne is 5% of LA's population and Minneapolis is 14% of Chicago's population. As previously stated, the larger cities could blanket the smaller cities with their gainfully employed population. And South Orange county's economy is fairly separate and distinct from the city of LA. OC is even considered to be a separate media market from LA, complete with their own sports teams. Onceagainyoufailnowgotosleepthxmmmkaybuhbye.**

** I would like to take this time to give a shout out to the folks who have been here since day one (Fontucky). WE STILL EATIN, WHILE Y'ALL BROKE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles