Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,318,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I found an amazing radio station in Dubuque, Iowa. Super Hits 106. 70s and 80s with variety (something that any station in L.A. is sadly lacking). Then I listen to their weather reports... "12 degrees with blowing snow", and I say, "I'm so thankful for the Internet!"

Dubuque's Super Hits 106

K-Earth 101 plays that now... Guess time passed you by like it did for me and you didn't realize 80's were considered "oldies" now!! I thought oldies were ragtime or something like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 01:27 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,177,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Chicago, IL unemployment 9.6%

Minneapolis, MN unemployment 4.6%

Size of the overall economy has less relevance than the health of the economy and its growth potential. MSP has all the major pro sports and several cultural attractions along with hundreds of lakes; three river systems. Chicago has a lot going for it, too. Decision between more to do...Chicago (though both have a lot) and less crowded...Minneapolis.
Minneapolis= seattle of the midwest.

Dreary, isolated, snobby, and upset that the rest of the country does not give them a second glance.

Large enough that there is stuff to do, but small town enough that locals still ask each other where they went to high school.

As for unemployment, that is irrelevant. That's like comparing irvine to la. Yea irvine has a lower unemployment rate, but la could coat irvine multiple times over with its gainfully employed population.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,571,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
K-Earth 101 plays that now... Guess time passed you by like it did for me and you didn't realize 80's were considered "oldies" now!! I thought oldies were ragtime or something like that!
K-EARTH 101's playlist is only 400 songs, and they're very heavy on the repetition of a few songs, like "Miss You", "Don't Stop Believin'", and "Tainted Love". Considering that 80s music was popular thirty years ago, I'm not surprised that it's considered oldies now.

On the other hand, I'm hearing songs on 106 Super Hits that I haven't heard in twenty or thirty years! If it wasn't for the weather, I'd actually consider moving 1,900 miles away. (And then when the station changes formats or disappears entirely, I'd probably move back here! )

Last edited by SandyCo; 01-27-2014 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-27-2014, 05:47 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,785,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
K-EARTH 101's playlist is only 400 songs, and they're very heavy on the repetition of a few songs, like "Miss You", "Don't Stop Believin'", and "Tainted Love". Considering that 80s music was popular thirty years ago, I'm not surprised that it's considered oldies now.

On the other hand, I'm hearing songs on 106 Super Hits that I haven't heard in twenty or thirty years! If it wasn't for the weather, I'd actually consider moving 1,900 miles away. (And then when the station changes formats or disappears entirely, I'd probably move back here! )
I can't believe that a radio station would have an influence on where to live. If you like the music so much, buy the CDs or subscribe to XM radio.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:45 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,216,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post

Dreary, isolated, snobby, and upset that the rest of the country does not give them a second glance.

Large enough that there is stuff to do, but small town enough that locals still ask each other where they went to high school.

As for unemployment, that is irrelevant. That's like comparing irvine to la. Yea irvine has a lower unemployment rate, but la could coat irvine multiple times over with its gainfully employed population.
Bribe me with deep dish pizza for life and we call it a draw. Kidding! Then I would have to exercise a whole lot more than I do now. I understand your point and I understand why someone would move to Chicago if they chose the Midwest. BTW, I visited Minneapolis (my hometown) in 2005 and did not encounter "snobby" at all. Isolated from huge crowds aside from a few areas is a good thing. On the first day visiting there (Oct 1, 2005) the high was 77. Probably got lucky. They have more clear days than people realize.

Both cities have dreary winter days. I am not a Chicago hater and understand why that would be the first city to try in the Midwest, but think the MSP economy today is very good and a decade from now may put it on equal footing as a Midwest choice to Chicago if current trends continue.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,216,412 times
I have to add that the growth rate for MSP shows that they are not only getting a second glance (LOL!), but real growth which is impressive considering the climate. Quality of life and the economy are the reasons.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,822,632 times
Quote:

As an Irvine resident who has lived in the Midwest, this post is (almost) spot freakin' on.

People from Seattle and Minneapolis are both very superficially polite and I enjoy meeting and talking to people from both cities honestly, but their Scandinavian heritages can probably make it difficult to really warm up to people for a long time (or vice versa).

But to fit your description, what you say about Minneapolis actually describes another Midwest city, Louisville, KY. Buncha arseholes those people were when I lived there, and the inferiority/superiority complex they have when comparing theirselves to surrounding cities is simply bazaar.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 PM

5,986 posts, read 13,158,639 times
Quote:

How is that much different than Chicago locals who ask what neighborhood you grew up in? Some of the older Catholic Chicagoans still even identify themselves and others by what parish you're from.

Not sure if LA-Irvine is a good analogy to Chicago-Minneapolis, as Irvine is essentially part of the greater LA metro area. Maybe comparing LA-San Diego would be a better comparison to Chicago-Minneapolis.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,011,518 times
Another "city vs city that aren't L.A." topic in the L.A. forum. FUN! It's almost as if there wasn't already a City vs City forum at C-D.

Here's a graphic that demonstrates how much the L.A. forum cares about the comparison between Chicago and whatever that other city is:

Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,078,945 times
Quote:

I don't think MN is dreary per se, though your other comments seem spot on, based on my experience. But...I LOVE Minneapolis for visiting. It's a great, livable [except for those winters, true] city....Cool spot, but then again, I visited severasl times, and stayed with a native who lived in one of the particularly lauded neighborhoods. I do see parallels to Seattle, esp. all the time spent on CD forums discussing how great they are and how they really *are* world renown cities/metro areas, etc. I'm always thinking that cities really like that are not really discussing it, especially on internet forums. They are too busy fielding requests from people wanting to move to their cities instead [ie, NYC, LA, SFO, even SD]. Insecurity is an ugly trait...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles