Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:09 PM

18 posts, read 55,618 times

Advertisements

I am frustrated with life in Los Angeles, especially with the income one needs.

I gross slightly over 100K / year, and that isn't enough to really have a greate quality of life here.
I don't have extravagant expenses or "live large", by any means, but I find that I have to budget and micromanage, and that there is always the feeling of insecurity.

I feel like I am TRAPPED in this class without ability for advancement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 02:48 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
I wish I had $100,000 a year to live off.

You should be able to live here just fine, unless you have an extremely high mortgage or rent, car/insurance payment and crazy debt.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:48 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Hi,

I've been offered $190K for a job as an internist in LA. I was going to accept this offer until I looked more closely at what this kind of income would buy there. The cost of living is obviously high, and as such I'm having second thoughts. I already make this kind of money in Illinois where the cost of living is lower than in California, so relocation will not necessarily mean financial "progress" for me. My reason for moving to LA will have less to do with making more money, but to be closer to family.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:48 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwmeaway View Post

I feel like I am TRAPPED in this class without ability for advancement.
I used to feel like that. Someone opened my eyes and I realised the only thing limiting my lifestyle was me. I immediately got some more education and started to learn more in my chosen field. My income increased nearly 10x once I let go of my preconcieved notions and negative thinking. The first thing I learned how to do was budget. I took the money I didn't spend and invested it. The rest is history.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:32 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,049 times
At 190K, you can have a fine life in Los Angeles. You don't need to buy a house to do it.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 28,689 times
Jeez, I make no where near that and live just fine your rent/mortgage must be
killing you;you know to live like a King is what I call coveting thy neighbor, which
in turn means you have to have what everyone else has, I know I was the same
way now I dont care and no longer live in fear of what other's think.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:02 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
Default throwmeaway - you are right...

My husband and I have a household income of 120-160 K a year gross. We do not live in a fancy house, we drive a used car, we use coupons... we manage to save 30 K a year though and our fixed expenses are high (average house in L.A. - 530K approx. - so we have a 3,000 a month mortgage). Plus everything else that goes with it. Anywhere else in the U.S. (well, except for the major cities like NY, San Fran. etc.) 100 K would be a lot of money but if you take into account a mortgage and savings it's not. We could very easily rent, live in a small condo, and not save a dime and then we could live it up - but that's not too smart. We are contemplating a move to GA where we could get a 3000 sq ft pad for half of what we pay now - we could retire young... better than working until we're 70...

Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times
Anyone that can't live LARGE off $100k in LA may require some SPecial EDucation.

I make just over $100k, and I live a FAT lifestyle. [I have a mortgage that's over $3200/mo as well!!!] I go out to eat almost every day, I have 4 vehicles (which are insured and well taken care of), I have no debt and still manage to sock away a little in savings. I usually pay for two when I go out as well, because I have a girlfriend who doesn't make any money. To add insult to your injury I just got back from a month away in Europe (Czech, Germany and Greece, thank you.)

If you can't manage 100k; 200k wont help you either.

Learn to budget.

Go to Amazon dot come and do a search for books on budgeting your money.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:53 PM

268 posts, read 890,259 times
It's sad that alot of Californian's view owning a home, taking vacations and having a mortgage as "living large". In most states that's just a modest lifestyle...perhaps that's the problem with this state.

On a 100k a year you can get by just fine...as long as you like living in an apartment. The middle class here has a household income of 140k...if you're below that your doing "fine" or you're poor. Vacations and cars doesn't mean you're living FAT.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:41 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah1979 View Post
It's sad that alot of Californian's view owning a home, taking vacations and having a mortgage as "living large". In most states that's just a modest lifestyle...perhaps that's the problem with this state.

On a 100k a year you can get by just fine...as long as you like living in an apartment. The middle class here has a household income of 140k...if you're below that your doing "fine" or you're poor. Vacations and cars doesn't mean you're living FAT.
Maybe for someone as self-important as yourself, but get a grip bud. Most Americans do not take month long vacations every year (not including my week in Mardi Gras, week in Moab, plans for NYC in August, and the end of the year I plan on taking off.)

MOST people would kill to be in my position. So, please, do a little reading, educate yourself about the way most Americans live. From what I've read only 2% of the population in America make over $200k/yr. Is that correct? I don't know; but, it does jive with my personal experience. I never claimed to have a private jet, boats, or unlimited [free] time or money. But, while you sit up there on your TRULY FAT PEDESTAL, and I wallow away in my piddly paid-for-in-advance-with-cash, measly 100,000/yr lifestyle, consider that maybe you're out of touch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles