Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:51 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times

Advertisements

$900 studios are out there, in decent areas. Hell, I've seen studios in Santa Monica for $100 more.

The downside is they have absolutely no kitchen, which means you're eating out a lot ($$).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
LA did just approve dedicating one lane each direction to buses only during rush hour. Controversial Wilshire bus lane approved, with one missing link | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
That might widen your range a bit

Old 12-14-2010, 04:11 PM

18 posts, read 43,517 times
I wouldn't try commuting from anywhere in the Valley you will have at least an hour commute everyday. Since you are going to be working in Century City I would suggest living in West LA area. I am sure that you can find affordable rents in areas like Palms, Culver City, and neighborhoods that are adjacent to Santa Monica, but aren't necessarily considered a Santa Monica address (if that makes sense.)

You could also look in Westwood too. Since a lot of students live in this area there are different affordable rents in this area so I would definitely search here. Also this is going to be the area that is closest to your office so it really could be your best option. Here are a few sites that I have passed on to other posters that could help you with your search. I utilized them when I was recently apartment hunting.

www.bestwestwoodapartments.com and www.studioapartmentslosangeles.com . I hope this helps and good luck with your apartment search!

Old 12-14-2010, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 15,793 times
Thanks again for the feedback.

I would have to say that Miracle Mile appeals the most to me, all things being equal. However, I could get more apartment for my money in Westwood. I would much prefer a 1 bdrm to a studio. Whether I can get one remains to be seen.

One small issue I foresee with the Miracle Mile is its lack of easy freeway access. It's about as far away from a freeway as one could possibly get. Is that ever a problem?

Here's what I've gathered:

WESTWOOD
Pros: near Century City
Cons: somewhat hard to find many affordable apts east of 405

MIRACLE MILE
Pros: most to offer for entertainment
Cons: expensive newer large apt buildings

STUDIO CITY
Pros: easy to get to east side and sgv, cheaper apts, nice area
Cons: far from Century City

SHERMAN OAKS
Pros: plenty of affordable apts
Cons: kind of a dull area in my opinion

CULVER CITY
Pros: plenty of affordable apartments, close to Century City
Cons: everything else (to be fair, I need to go explore it some more)

I've done a lot of researching, and I would be satisfied living in any of these places. It will probably come down to comparing individual apartments.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 43,517 times
I don't know how social you are, but if you like to go out on the weekends I would consider how far you are willing to take a taxi. It is definitely more important to be close to work than base your living situation on where you go out, but it is another thing to consider. Another positive about Westwood other than it is super close to where you work is that it is close to both bars in Santa Monica, Westwood, Miracle Mile, and Hollywood so you still have options on the weekend.

As a young recent grad I would think that Studio City and Sherman Oaks would be too much like a suburb. I would definitely try and live in the other areas that you listed because you will be able to explore more and probably meet more people your age.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 PM

11 posts, read 34,870 times
My D will be graduating from college in the midwest and returning "home" to LA. I will make the same suggestion I am making to her--get a roommate, even if thru Craigslist. Her starting salary is a bit more than yours (but not much after tax) and her job is also in Century City, I don't see how she will find something acceptably nice and safe and within budget without a roommate. I am not wild aout Palms, but there are some newer and nicer buildings going up there and in Culver City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles