Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 12,278 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are almost certain we will be relocating to the area from the east coast very soon. Have a 1st grader and a preschooler... so I'm looking for the best school districts so we can focus our real estate search. (Probably rent for a while) My husband would be working in Torrance and doesn't want a long commute - or even a freeway commute, if possible.

Any suggestions? I've heard mixed things about Torrance... can anyone clarify?
Is RPV the best choice? Is it really pricey compared to those other areas? Anywhere else i should look?

Thansk so much!! Preschool suggestions would also be GREAT!!

Last edited by sandjsmom; 01-07-2011 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
all the south bay communities are very nice and have top notch schools. the only areas that might not quite be up to par are inland redondo as well as north and east torrance. anything near the coast or on the PV peninsula will have some of the best schools in the LA area (and the most expensive real estate to boot). if working in torrnace, i would consider south torrance, west torrance or anywhere on the pv peninsula if you can afford it. keep in mind that homes in PV tend to start at about $1M and the nicer parts of torrance aren't much cheaper.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 PM

5 posts, read 10,346 times
Used to live in Redondo Beach. My favorite city in all of the USA. I miss it terribly.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:44 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjsmom View Post
Hi,
We are almost certain we will be relocating to the area from the east coast very soon. Have a 1st grader and a preschooler... so I'm looking for the best school districts so we can focus our real estate search. (Probably rent for a while) My husband would be working in Torrance and doesn't want a long commute - or even a freeway commute, if possible.

Any suggestions? I've heard mixed things about Torrance... can anyone clarify?
Is RPV the best choice? Is it really pricey compared to those other areas? Anywhere else i should look?

Thansk so much!! Preschool suggestions would also be GREAT!!
Mix about Torrance: Torrance is generally a good area, good schools but does have some less desirable areas. The less desirable areas are east of Western or near the 405 freeway. Along PCH is also less desirable.

RPV is more expensive, more desirable and more isolated and on the backside (ocean side/cliffs) of PV. RPV would be a drive (over the hill) to Torrance.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,278 times
What about Redondo? Is there anywhere else you'd suggest?

What you've said about Torrance, area-wise, is what I'd heard... but then I also hear from others that it's going down hill in general (crime-wise) and it's best to stay away. We thought a few neighborhoods were really nice when we looked a few weeks ago.

I don't want to limit myself to two cities if there are other places worth looking... but I definitely want to find good schools and a nice, safe place for my family.

THANKS!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:37 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjsmom View Post
What about Redondo? Is there anywhere else you'd suggest?

What you've said about Torrance, area-wise, is what I'd heard... but then I also hear from others that it's going down hill in general (crime-wise) and it's best to stay away. We thought a few neighborhoods were really nice when we looked a few weeks ago.

I don't want to limit myself to two cities if there are other places worth looking... but I definitely want to find good schools and a nice, safe place for my family.

THANKS!
Probably the “not so desirable” areas of Torrance have increased crime over time. I don't think the good areas have changed much, crime wise, but the population has significantly increased since when I lived there. I grew up in Torrance and Redondo in the 70's but bought my first house elsewhere do to cost. For years I wanted to return and buy a house but not anymore due to the overcrowding and the home cost for what you get. I would never buy in Redondo due to the same reasons and the homes are small, no yards and all squeezed together on narrow streets. The joke was you would say "bless you" to your neighbor, two doors down, who sneezed in their house.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
torrance and redondo are mostly nice, just try to stay closer to the beach than the freeway (405). if you must be closer to the freeway, just check out the neighborhood and check the scores at the local schools, this will probably help you determine if it is nice enough for you. usually when you get to a more 'transistional' neighborhood it becomes quite clear upon a simple drive through of the area as well as quick view of the local school stats.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:47 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
I lived in the South Bay most of my life, and our three children were born there as well (Torrance Memorial & Little Co. of Mary). We have many friends with children still in the area who we visit. The actual city of Torrance is very nice overall for families. As BRinSM said take a look at the schools. They tell much of the story: California School Performance Maps

If we moved our family back to the area we would pick Torrance. You just have to stay West of Western primarily. Otherwise you wind up in Torrance PO which isn't really Torrance at all but rather Harbor Gateway - a very high crime area to be avoided. It's also LA Unified which is also to be avoided.

Just look for a house to rent in South or West Torrance in you can swing it. North Torrance isn't bad either. Otherwise Eastern Torrance or 'Old Torrance' (between Crenshaw and Cabrillo) is alright. However as you approach Western it gets worse.

Personally I would pick Torrance over Redondo. But there are definately nice parts of RB as well. You will get a much nicer home for rent in Torrance with an actual yard vs. the other beach cities such as Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan and especially Palos Verdes (unless you have money to burn). I grew up in Hermosa but would never move back there now. The prices are rediculous, especially for families. Zero lot line over developmented neighborhoods are the rule. But yuppies, rock stars, athletes and college kids love it due to it's close proximity to the beach.

Derek

Old 01-07-2011, 04:25 PM

80 posts, read 179,352 times
We live in RPV and love it (don't like LA but love PV) but it is very expensive. As someone already stated, a single family home will start at about 1M. There are some starter homes to be had in the 800K range but you won't get a lot of square footage. (We live in a condo and paid over 400K)

Looks like people have already given suggestions regarding Torrance and Redondo. You might also consider Manhattan Beach, but it's also very expensive. Both PV and MB school districts run preschools starting at age 2 that are very good. They charge tuition even though they're run by a public school district (it's allowed because the CA Const. only requires that school be provided starting with Kindergarten). About $1000 a month. We've been on the waiting list for Manhattan Beach since my son was born (he's now almost 2.) I think the PV preschool is only for PV residents, but I don't beleive the wait list is as long.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HastingsJD View Post
We live in RPV and love it (don't like LA but love PV) but it is very expensive. As someone already stated, a single family home will start at about 1M. There are some starter homes to be had in the 800K range but you won't get a lot of square footage. (We live in a condo and paid over 400K)

Looks like people have already given suggestions regarding Torrance and Redondo. You might also consider Manhattan Beach, but it's also very expensive. Both PV and MB school districts run preschools starting at age 2 that are very good. They charge tuition even though they're run by a public school district (it's allowed because the CA Const. only requires that school be provided starting with Kindergarten). About $1000 a month. We've been on the waiting list for Manhattan Beach since my son was born (he's now almost 2.) I think the PV preschool is only for PV residents, but I don't beleive the wait list is as long.
Geesh, $1000/mo for preschool. That sounds rediculous. Hey, I went to school in Hermosa and Manhattan Beach and yes they have good schools. But most families with young children can't afford to live there any more. Palos Verdes and MB have some of the most expensive real estate in the nation. Consequently they shut down quite a few schools as there just weren't enough children to keep the lights on.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles