Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,924 times

Advertisements

who lives in los angeles frequent other neighborhoods or sections of L.A? Does anybody just hop in the car and cruise around?

Do you ever run into people you know around different parts of L.A?

Kinda random question, but i was just curious...because i know when im back visiting, i hop in the car and drive around...didnt know if many other people did....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 03:43 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
With fuel at $3.50 a gallon, no joy rides here.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:57 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Not really unless I absolutely have to. For shopping and leisure I tend to stick to my own very small neighborhood. That's what people often do. Driving is a hassle and expensive. And scary now that the various police agencies are desperately seeking revenue. How can you go on a joy ride when you're paranoid about getting pulled over all the time

Of course I see friends in various parts of LA, so if there's a purpose, there is travel.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Not really unless I absolutely have to. For shopping and leisure I tend to stick to my own very small neighborhood. That's what people often do. Driving is a hassle and expensive. And scary now that the various police agencies are desperately seeking revenue. How can you go on a joy ride when you're paranoid about getting pulled over all the time

Of course I see friends in various parts of LA, so if there's a purpose, there is travel.
Ugh, I had awful experiences with the LAPD pulling me over for reckless endangerment (i.e., going 5 over in a straight line on the road alongside the north side the LAX runways with no one else on the road next to me), street racing (having two cars shoot past me going twice my speed), reckless endangerment part 2 (making a left turn off Lincoln when there were no oncoming cars), driving a car that was not up to spec (it was modified but I'd had the CHP write off on everything just a few weeks earlier), and one time, just because. I had guns pulled on me twice, was thrown on the ground and cuffed twice, and mind you: I've never once seen the inside of a jail or prison, or been in court for an offense. I'm a 20-something white male who at the time drove a Jetta - if that's what my experience was, I can only imagine what it's like for black or hispanic guys.

And this was all during the credit boom. I can only imagine what it's like now.

Anyways...

When I lived there, I never took the freeways if I could avoid it and made a point of exploring as many neighborhoods as I could, which is probably a big part of why I liked LA and appreciated it so much more than other people I know.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Ugh, I had awful experiences with the LAPD pulling me over for reckless endangerment (i.e., going 5 over in a straight line on the road alongside the north side the LAX runways with no one else on the road next to me), street racing (having two cars shoot past me going twice my speed), reckless endangerment part 2 (making a left turn off Lincoln when there were no oncoming cars), driving a car that was not up to spec (it was modified but I'd had the CHP write off on everything just a few weeks earlier), and one time, just because. I had guns pulled on me twice, was thrown on the ground and cuffed twice, and mind you: I've never once seen the inside of a jail or prison, or been in court for an offense. I'm a 20-something white male who at the time drove a Jetta - if that's what my experience was, I can only imagine what it's like for black or hispanic guys.

And this was all during the credit boom. I can only imagine what it's like now.

Anyways...

When I lived there, I never took the freeways if I could avoid it and made a point of exploring as many neighborhoods as I could, which is probably a big part of why I liked LA and appreciated it so much more than other people I know.
Oh yeah it's really bad now. When I first started driving about a decade ago nobody was pulled over unless you were asking for it. Now I can't go out without seeing the sheriff/chp/LAPD getting somebody for something. At this point I drive the speed limit ONLY and frantically look at the posted signs.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
that's weird about the cops. i haven't had that experience. i am a white chick tho, and i drive a huge white van. vans are suspect out near the border (been hassled by the border patrol with dogs and the whole bit) but i have NEVER been stopped by the cops in LA. in 6 years, never. and i am a BIG fan of driving around aimlessly. that used to be my sport. on fridays when others were going to bars, i would twist one up, i would swing by starbucks, and just spend the evening driving around downtown and the warehouse district and hollywood taking photos. i took hundreds of photos that way. i used to LOVE to get lost and it got to where i couldn't get lost anymore. i have lived all over the city and can always find my way around now because of my meanderings. still to this day at odd hours of the night i will get bored and restless and want to go down sunset and turn at labrea and go back down hollywood blvd and come home. or go out on the one to topanga or sunset and come home that way. wondering if my van, to the LAPD, doesn't scream "senior citizen". its white, spotless, obviously well maintained. i know white cars are far less likely to be pulled over. (musing.......)

Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
who lives in los angeles frequent other neighborhoods or sections of L.A? Does anybody just hop in the car and cruise around?

Do you ever run into people you know around different parts of L.A?

Kinda random question, but i was just curious...because i know when im back visiting, i hop in the car and drive around...didnt know if many other people did....
I love going out and about around the city, but rarely do I run into people I know. I just get bored staying my neighborhood all the time. Some of my favorite day trips are out to Pasadena, down to the beach cities in the South Bay, and downtown to the Old Historic District. If I'm really feeling ambitious I'll go down to Orange County or deeper into the SGV.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,924 times
yea the last time i was out there...i turned on long beach blvd...went through compton...then it turned into pacific...went through vernon...turned onto western....jumped on the highway...got off on normandie drove back downtown.....

did stuff like that all the time.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
that's weird about the cops. i haven't had that experience. i am a white chick tho, and i drive a huge white van. vans are suspect out near the border (been hassled by the border patrol with dogs and the whole bit) but i have NEVER been stopped by the cops in LA. in 6 years, never. and i am a BIG fan of driving around aimlessly. that used to be my sport. on fridays when others were going to bars, i would twist one up, i would swing by starbucks, and just spend the evening driving around downtown and the warehouse district and hollywood taking photos. i took hundreds of photos that way. i used to LOVE to get lost and it got to where i couldn't get lost anymore. i have lived all over the city and can always find my way around now because of my meanderings. still to this day at odd hours of the night i will get bored and restless and want to go down sunset and turn at labrea and go back down hollywood blvd and come home. or go out on the one to topanga or sunset and come home that way. wondering if my van, to the LAPD, doesn't scream "senior citizen". its white, spotless, obviously well maintained. i know white cars are far less likely to be pulled over. (musing.......)

to sum it up: white chick = LAPD loves you and lets you go.

i've heard stories from my white female friends about how lenient the cops are on them. I was in the car with one of my white female friends, she was tipsy and made a left turn too fast or whatever bs, cop pulls her over. ahve you been drinking? "OH NO MR OFFICER IM SORRY", he doesnt even ask for license or registration, doesnt even give an infraction, just lets her go.

or another girl was speeding on the 10 at 3 am drunk out of her mind, cop pulls her over, she denies drinking and shows some cleavage, gets off with a speeding ticket.

if you're a male of color, or a white male in a nice car, police hate you. it's an unfair system.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
As soon as my car's out of the body shop sporting a new wide-body kit, wheels, and paint job, I'm driving down to LA to hang out with some of my friends. Can't wait to see how the LAPD are going to treat me this time

It'll basically look like this:

But it'll be this color:

It's gonna be fun

FTR: I beat a ticket once because of my female, Asian friend. We were going to La Cabana at Lincoln and Rose, had just made a right off Rose, and saw a car that was parked in front pulling away. I pulled into a driveway halfway down the block and did a three-point turn to get back in the right direction - this was at about 1am on a weeknight and the road was totally deserted, there were no cars. A black and white that was in the lot in front of Big Lots roared up behind me, lit me up, and put a searchlight on us.

Me: "S---! I'm so sick of these ----s! Quick: start crying!"
Her: "Huh?"
Me: "Start crying and play along!"
*friend starts crying - she was good at this*
Cop: "GIVE ME YOUR LICENSE AND REGISTRATION!"
*hands him lic, reg, ins*
Me: "It's okay, baby."
Cop: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Me: "To be honest, officer? No."
Cop: "WHAT? What do you MEAN you don't know why I pulled you over?"
Her: *sobs* "Why are you yelling at us?"
Cop: "... uh..."
Her: *sobs* "This is the worst day of my life! I just want a margarita!"
Cop: "Is everything okay?"
Me: "Well, officer, she's having a really bad day, she just got laid off and now I just got pulled over for no reason -"
Her: *near hysterics* "How are we supposed to pay the ticket now that I don't have a job? Oh my god, we're gonna be homeless!" *sobs*
Cop: "...uh... well..." stands there a second, looks around, rubs the back of his head, looks at my license. "Here you are, sir. Uh, have a good night."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles