Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:06 PM

209 posts, read 721,994 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I just got a text from my daughter living in Los Angeles, she tells me an earthquake is predicted there during the full moon, which is tomarrow. In my opinion, I feel it's just some more scare tactics from the recent Japan disaster. I'm interested in hearing some of your opinions on this.

Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
There's a post still floating around here somewhere explaining why The Big One was coming for sure at some date in 2010. We're still here.

Also, after Japan's *last* series of earthquakes (prior to the quakes last Friday) newspapers were blaring about how L.A. was next. We weren't next. Japan was, again.

There is no way to predict The Big One and there are no special esoteric signs that are going to tell us. People are naturally afraid of what we can't control and we feel if we can "predict" this, then we can somehow be safe. But there have been dozens and dozens and dozens of dire predictions just like the one you mentioned above and, in this century at least, there's been no Big One.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But there have been dozens and dozens and dozens of dire predictions just like the one you mentioned above and, in this century at least, there's been no Big One.
Okay, rrrr! LOL. I meant "during the past 100 years." Obviously The Big One hasn't happened in L.A. in this century. Sorry 'bout that.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Nope. The earthquake is scheduled for December 21, 2012. Daughter probably didn't receive the memo.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Actually, the guy predicted a high probability somewhere in California due to the alignment of three contributing occurrences, one of which is that full moon. I can't remember the other two. I continue to live my life as I did before this prediction, here in my location ~10 miles as the crow flies from the mighty San Andreas Fault.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Actually, the guy predicted a high probability somewhere in California due to the alignment of three contributing occurrences, one of which is that full moon. I can't remember the other two. I continue to live my life as I did before this prediction, here in my location ~10 miles as the crow flies from the mighty San Andreas Fault.
He said something about all those dead fish washing up also. His prediction was for a quake between 3.5-7.0 somewhere in California but he said probably southern California. I don't buy it one bit. If it happens, he's a genius, if it doesn't then he just drops it until next his next prediction.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Yeah, that was one of them, the dead fishies. I guess he predicted the Loma Prieta back in '89. We shall see what happens this weekend. I'm not going anywhere.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM

209 posts, read 721,994 times
Lol, thank you for your responses. You've all just validated my thoughts and opinion. Ever since I was a little girl growing up in Orange County, they have always predicted the Big One, and it never came, at least not up to this point. As I've told my daughter, always be prepared, but don't worry too much about it and keep living your life.

Have a great day everyone,
Kelly

Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
It's not the earthquake that's gonna get ya....

it's the giant ants the earthquake's gonna release on mankind.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:45 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Okay, so I just got a text from my daughter living in Los Angeles, she tells me an earthquake is predicted there during the full moon, which is tomarrow. In my opinion, I feel it's just some more scare tactics from the recent Japan disaster. I'm interested in hearing some of your opinions on this.

Kelly
Hi Kelly,

Just wondering, did your daughter say if the full moon was the reason for the earthquake? In that case I will make sure that we are prepaired. I heard rain was expected for the weekend. What happens if the earth doesn't see the full moon, do you think it will still decide to have the earthquake? LOL

All kidding aside, we are due for a major earthquake. They have been happening all over the Pacific Rim. The coast of California, Oregon and Washington could have a large quake any day within the next 30 to 40 years. It could be today. It could be in a week. It could be the day I pay off my home in 15 years. It could also be in 2041. We don't know. What we do know is that the Pacific plate has been letting off some steam moving around quite a bit lately.

Something to think about.

1. No one seems to be able to predict an earthquake. In Japan they have the most advanced warning system in the world. It tells them within a 10 minute time frame if an earthquake is coming. Not much time to do anything about it though.

2. Their is no such thing as earthquake weather. The fact is that the action is so far below ground that the faults don't much care what the weather is doing. Earthquakes happen in all kinds of weather.

3. Earthquakes happen when two plates push against each other and create so much pressure that something gives way. This pressure can take decades to build up to a point to have the big one. The claim is that they happen every 100 years or so in California and we haven't had a big one for 130 years. Our "big one" will come from inland meaning that a Tsunami will be heading away from us and not toward us like in Japan. Although a large earthquake could cause a land slide somewhere in the ocean that would cause a smaller Tsunami than what Japan has faced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles